PDA

View Full Version : sigh,e2 grips installation problem

PandaLuv
05-28-2012, 9:10 PM
For some reason last week I decided to take off the grips off of my p226, I put them back on and the right grip was loose. Every time Id pick squeeze the grip, Id feel some play. I screwed it on fairly tight and it didnt do the trick. What I did today, I had to put my body weight to get the screw in tigh, that seemed to fix the problem.

What I don't get is why the left grip was fine, but the right grip was loose. Is there a better way to put the grips back on?

Snoopy47
05-28-2012, 9:13 PM
Blue locktite.
Loose grips will lead to horrible accuracy.

greybeard
05-28-2012, 9:19 PM
It may be the bushing not the grip screw. Gently remove the the bushing and locktlte it in or find a gunsmith to do it for you.

Mr310
05-28-2012, 9:24 PM
That happened on my 1911. #16 o-rings fixed the problem.

I actually still haven't figured out how to take my E2 grips off yet, though.

PandaLuv
05-28-2012, 9:24 PM
It may be the bushing not the grip screw. Gently remove the the bushing and locktlte it in or find a gunsmith to do it for you.

hm, interesting. How hard can that be really?

greybeard
05-28-2012, 9:31 PM
hm, interesting. How hard can that be really?
Depends on how complete your screw driver set is. I have seen people bugger it up than smith has to drill it out and use oversize, goes from a $25 job to $100.

Solidux
05-28-2012, 9:35 PM
Be VERY careful on how tight you have the grips. Overtightening the grips on my p226r prevented the trigger from resetting (theres a little spring that was being rubbed up against the plastic).

I had to literally shave off a good mm of the grip to make clearance for the spring.

PandaLuv
05-28-2012, 9:40 PM
Depends on how complete your screw driver set is. I have seen people bugger it up than smith has to drill it out and use oversize, goes from a $25 job to $100.

Be VERY careful on how tight you have the grips. Overtightening the grips on my p226r prevented the trigger from resetting (theres a little spring that was being rubbed up against the plastic).

I had to literally shave off a good mm of the grip to make clearance for the spring.

damn, its the bottom screw that giving me trouble, so the grip isnt touching the spring/wire.

Also, the screw is sticking out just a bit, but it doesn't interfere with a magazine.

82SC
05-28-2012, 10:20 PM
upgrade to the E2 grips? no screws. snapon installation

great feel and great traction

PandaLuv
05-28-2012, 10:26 PM
upgrade to the E2 grips? no screws. snapon installation

great feel and great traction

I really hate the look of e2 grips, but I have to agree, the e2 grips make a huge difference when it come to performance. I will consider that.

tonelar
05-28-2012, 10:34 PM

226s must have really changed over the years. None of mine have a screw bushing.
OP get a hollow ground bit if you're going to be removing and replacing your grips again and again.

PandaLuv
05-28-2012, 10:48 PM
hm, could anyone explain to me how to install e2 grips?

I have 2011 p226 German.

gant
05-28-2012, 10:51 PM
there was a post by a sig armorer that dealt with alot of sigs in his department and he said its not a sig unless a screw is missing , just use blue loctite thats what i did and never had the problem again, dont muscle on a tiny little screw or else you will just end up stripping threads.

heres instructions, you dont need to install the decocking lever, you can get away with installing just the new shorter hammer strut

http://files.kensmith.de/Manual_for_installing_the_P226_E2_Grip_Kit_EN.pdf

PandaLuv
05-28-2012, 11:00 PM
there was a post by a sig armorer that dealt with alot of sigs in his department and he said its not a sig unless a screw is missing , just use blue loctite thats what i did and never had the problem again, dont muscle on a tiny little screw or else you will just end up stripping threads.

heres instructions, you dont need to install the decocking lever, you can get away with installing just the new shorter hammer strut

http://files.kensmith.de/Manual_for_installing_the_P226_E2_Grip_Kit_EN.pdf

wow, thanks for the info and insturctions Gant. I am gonna pick up some locklite tomorrow before work

82SC
05-28-2012, 11:09 PM
E2 grip comes with a handle that has a paddle in the middle. I think you only need it for removal. for installation you just spread it apart (it's TIGHT) slip it on till it clicks. done.

to remove you put the "handle" where the mag goes, turn 90deg which spreads the E2 grip and you just jimmy it off.

Personally I like the look. Clean look to the gun.

MJ

Plisk
05-28-2012, 11:13 PM
When using a screw driver, remember that Sig grip screws are concave in the screw slot, it's not flat. If you don't want to possibly goober up your screws a normal dime works pretty well.

When tightening, you want to go hand tight (and by hand tight, I meant mashing your finger tip on the screw and rotating) then add roughly 1/4 turn. Favor just under if it doesn't go exactly 1/4 turn.

PandaLuv
05-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Man, it looks like e2 grip kits are pretty hard to find. Wtf.

mc21
05-28-2012, 11:55 PM
Man, it looks like e2 grip kits are pretty hard to find. Wtf.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-e2-grip-kit-p226.html

PandaLuv
05-29-2012, 12:12 AM
ordered.

crap, so much for trying to build that ar.

mc21
05-29-2012, 12:13 AM
ordered.

crap, so much for trying to build that ar.

Tell me how it is. Thinking about getting it myself :)

PandaLuv
05-29-2012, 12:20 AM
Tell me how it is. Thinking about getting it myself :)
this video made me wanna buy it, including what some of you have said.
rcSAROVCTw0

well, I've shot it before, and it makes a huge difference. The grip feels more natural, you can grab it higher and more secure. I personally liked it a lot, the looks is the only thing that stopped from getting it.But just like someone mentioned, it does make the gun look more modern.

mc21
05-29-2012, 12:27 AM
was trying to decide between e2 or hogue g10. tough decision.

PandaLuv
05-29-2012, 12:28 AM
G10 look dope, but they are pricey.

Are you trying to improve performance or the look?

mc21
05-29-2012, 12:35 AM
G10 look dope, but they are pricey.

Are you trying to improve performance or the look?

Both :) kind of leaning towards the e2 because i think the rubbery feel will provide a better grip. want to feel one first though =\

cebuvfr
05-29-2012, 12:38 AM
http://files.kensmith.de/Manual_for_installing_the_P226_E2_Grip_Kit_EN.pdf[/QUOTE]

This helped me when I replaced my 229 with the E2 grip.

PandaLuv
05-29-2012, 12:42 AM
Both :) kind of leaning towards the e2 because i think the rubbery feel will provide a better grip. want to feel one first though =\

Umm, as I remember, it doesn't have that rubbery feel. The texture is the same as stock grips, except way more aggressive(which I love). Ive never handled g10, but I heard that they are still better than stock ones. I still think that e2 grips is a better choice. Go to a Gun store near you, last year sig started selling p226 with e2 grips (and only one mag :mad:)

mc21
05-29-2012, 1:03 AM
Umm, as I remember, it doesn't have that rubbery feel. The texture is the same as stock grips, except way more aggressive(which I love). Ive never handled g10, but I heard that they are still better than stock ones. I still think that e2 grips is a better choice. Go to a Gun store near you, last year sig started selling p226 with e2 grips (and only one mag :mad:)

I will have to see if they have any e2 gripped sig's when I pick up my p226. Didn't even know that they made a new grip since at the time I was about to buy the USP 9mm V1. However after shooting a few hundred rounds, it just didn't feel quite right. Didn't want to wait any longer and just jumped on the p226 after handling it and dry firing a few times. Maybe it's just me but polymer/plastic frame on such a high end gun just does not feel right to me. Feels like a sumo wrestler sitting on a midget when holding it in my hands. I know many others will disagree but this is just my humble opinion. I still think USP is a pretty damn good looking gun and I still may end up getting one or trading for one if for whatever reason this p226 doesn't work out. It's definitely still up there on my list.

jpm804
05-29-2012, 2:05 AM

Definitely not a rubbery feel, I would relate it to more like a sandpaper type grip if anything else. Love it on my 229....

Paperchasin
05-29-2012, 5:26 AM
I personally prefer the Hogue G10 checkered over the E2 grips.

GunHo
05-29-2012, 10:07 AM
I think the slight play you're feeling is in the back of the OEM grips. I noticed the same thing on my P226. There are no groves or slots where the grips join in the back for a secure fit. It's basically hollow behind the back part of the grips where it meets. So when you squeeze, you're basically pushing in the back part of the plastic grips. My recommendation, buy the E2 grips. It is one solid peace and offers secure support on the back part of the grips where it's needed most...

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh581/testarija/P1000494.jpg

PandaLuv
05-29-2012, 12:58 PM
I think the slight play you're feeling is in the back of the OEM grips. I noticed the same thing on my P226. There are no groves or slots where the grips join in the back for a secure fit. It's basically hollow behind the back part of the grips where it meets. So when you squeeze, you're basically pushing in the back part of the plastic grips. My recommendation, buy the E2 grips. It is one solid peace and offers secure support on the back part of the grips where it's needed most...

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh581/testarija/P1000494.jpg

you're absolutely right. I really don't understand why they start doing it after I re-installed them. Kinda glad that all p226 comes with e2 grip, cause the ones that I have make the gun feel cheap, and everyone knows sigs arent cheap at.

edit:

the kit has already been shipped from Ohio. That was pretty fast.

PandaLuv
05-31-2012, 8:18 PM
k, i like the grip, but the left top by the decocking lever is not flush. Is it supposed to be like that or is there way to make it flush?

mc21
05-31-2012, 8:42 PM
you're absolutely right. I really don't understand why they start doing it after I re-installed them. Kinda glad that all p226 comes with e2 grip, cause the ones that I have make the gun feel cheap, and everyone knows sigs arent cheap at.

edit:

the kit has already been shipped from Ohio. That was pretty fast.

All p226 comes with e2 grips? My January, 2012 made one didn't. :(

PandaLuv
05-31-2012, 8:49 PM

hm, did it come with two mags at least?

also, if i were you, i'd shoot it stock for a little while just to get a hang of it and make sure that you wanna get another grip.

PandaLuv
06-05-2012, 4:53 PM
seriously, i feel cursed sometimes. The top left side of the grip is not flush with the frame, I made sure its fitted snug and thre is still a small gap. Could some one chime in?

mc21
06-05-2012, 5:26 PM
hm, did it come with two mags at least?

also, if i were you, i'd shoot it stock for a little while just to get a hang of it and make sure that you wanna get another grip.

I thought it didn't because I only saw one mag. In the new smaller black boxes, they only have 1 foam cut out for mags. The other mag is stored in the gun. Another thing....my 9mm p226 came with one 9mm mag and one .40/.357 mag. :confused:

And I plan on just keeping the grip for a bit. They seem to be fine for now. Also, the newer ones seem to come with the short reach trigger. I thought it was cool and all until I notice that I pinch my finger every now and then (just a little skin, not the entire finger) when I pull the trigger.

PandaLuv
06-05-2012, 5:30 PM
I thought it didn't because I only saw one mag. In the new smaller black boxes, they only have 1 foam cut out for mags. The other mag is stored in the gun. Another thing....my 9mm p226 came with one 9mm mag and one .40/.357 mag. :confused:

And I plan on just keeping the grip for a bit. They seem to be fine for now. Also, the newer ones seem to come with the short reach trigger. I thought it was cool and all until I notice that I pinch my finger every now and then (just a little skin, not the entire finger) when I pull the trigger.

That's odd. Hm, well you can always sell the .40 mag and get a 9mm one instead.

mc21
06-05-2012, 5:34 PM

Had the LGS trade me a 9mm. The one they gave me was in retail packaging and I believe it's an older mag. The finish is different and the spring inside is much much much longer. Almost twice as long.

mc21
06-05-2012, 5:36 PM

Had the LGS trade me a 9mm. The one they gave me was in retail packaging and I believe it's an older mag. The finish is different and the spring inside is much much much longer. Almost twice as long.

Also, on the topic of my LGS, can't believe they charged me $27.99 for 20 rounds of 9mm hp hydra shok. They go for $23.99 for 50 online. I could have bought 1 box and paid a crap ton for shipping and still came out cheaper/round. Needless to say, no more assuming that they're not gonna rip me off and I'll be sure to look at prices more closely now. :mad:

WoodenGun
06-05-2012, 6:04 PM

No. Only certain Sigs come with E2 grips. The regular basic model does not - normal sites, 2 mags.

There is an E2 version that comes with E2 grips, tritium night sites (I think), and 1 mag. There is the enhanced elite that comes with E2. The Tacops - good luck getting an FFL to single shot that one - and probably some others too. The EE has to be single shot for non-LEO purchase.

Another popular one - the BTFO has normal grips, not the E2.

ebencikiv
06-06-2012, 4:33 PM
When you say not flush do you mean like this? http://img.tapatalk.com/43b46bc2-e896-8943.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/43b46bc2-e8a7-db7d.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/43b46bc2-e9c6-1b30.jpg

PandaLuv
06-06-2012, 6:00 PM
I assumed that the front part won't be flush because of the decocker, but the whole top on the left isn't flush on mine. Could you take a picture from the back?

ebencikiv
06-06-2012, 6:25 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/43b46bc2-02f9-4390.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/43b46bc2-0311-21e2.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/43b46bc2-0325-2111.jpg

PandaLuv
06-06-2012, 6:29 PM
thanks for the pics!

yeah, mine isnt flush, I have a replacement coming, hope it will be fine.