View Full Version : quick question on how to do gun transfer?

05-28-2012, 7:56 PM
i am in riverside county and trying to buy a handgun from a private owner from up north and was wondering how to we both go about tranfering the handgun? does he have to ship it through his ffl deal to my ffl dealer? is there any other fee i am expecting other than the dros?

05-28-2012, 8:17 PM
If I'm correct he can ship directly to your FFL via UPS or FEDEX overnight or 2-day. No USPS.

Expect your FFL to also charge you a "handling and acceptance fee". Usually between $75-$100 on top of the $25 DROS. BTW, if it's not on the CA "Handgun Roster" then he can't ship it unless your FFL is willing to do a Single Shot Exemption (SSE).

If anyone else can chime in if I've left anything out or incorrect info please let this person know.

Good luck with the transfer.

05-28-2012, 9:20 PM
SA227driver pretty well summed it up.

Although there is no law forbidding it, many dealers will not accept a shipment from a private party. You may have to pay an FFL at both ends.

And, unlike a face-to-face private party transfer (PPT) at a dealer, as pointed out, if the handgun is not rostered, it cannot be shipped and then delivered to you as it is not longer a PPT. It falls into the class of an FFL transfer. PPTs are roster exempt, FFL transfers are not exempt.