PDA

View Full Version : 870 ghost ring question

CK_32
05-28-2012, 5:32 PM
Can I install ghost ring sights on a 870 express magnum?

It's just a flat top and I want to put post rings on them but can't find any install videos or articles. Do you need to have your shotgun drilled and tapped or do they just stick on or what?

BigDogatPlay
05-28-2012, 5:47 PM
If the receiver is not drilled and tapped for the rear sight, then it will need to be. There are press on front sights available, XS sights are very good in that regard, and they have 'how to' vids on their website.

zfields
05-28-2012, 5:47 PM
Most the ones I've seen require the receiver to be tapped, some in two spots if you are running a ghost + short rail.

CK_32
05-28-2012, 5:52 PM
Yea I just want the sights no rail. I think the rail/sight combo is tacky and a little ninja for a HD gun.

And how do the sticky sights stay on? I don't want them falling off on a desert trip in the back of the Branco and have a missing sight.

zfields
05-28-2012, 6:02 PM
If this is for an HD shotgun, I'd personally stick with a front bead. Ghost rings really slow down picking up targets, at least for me.

CK_32
05-28-2012, 6:04 PM
Alright I'll stick with it for a little while. See how I do with it.

zfields
05-28-2012, 6:05 PM
Alright I'll stick with it for a little while. See how I do with it.

If your local range has a plate rack, its a good way to compare between beads and rings.

CK_32
05-29-2012, 11:51 AM
I do t know after that fox new report seems like the zombies are already here. Calguns dreams may have been answered. Not the mall ninjas will prevail.

zfields
05-29-2012, 3:05 PM
Only in Florida. Hell if you been there, you would think the dead are walking already.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

CK_32
05-29-2012, 3:36 PM
That's what I've heard that happening over there is t that out of the ordinary which scares the living sh** out of me lol

JavaBrewer
05-30-2012, 8:35 AM
You might find these of interest -

Installing LPA ghost sights on 870 (http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=96928)

My Gun version 2.0 (http://practical-tactical.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-gun-version-20.html)

I was seriously considering a similar setup but my Son is now using our 870 for trap shooting.

MossbergMan
05-31-2012, 8:02 AM
If DIY installation is beyond you, may I suggest sending it off to Vang Comp for a set of EXCELLENT GR sights. Han's has his own now and they are an improvement over the LPAs. I know hard to believe, but true.

CK_32
05-31-2012, 8:40 AM
Have any pics of them?

tonelar
05-31-2012, 9:05 AM
Yea I just want the sights no rail. I think the rail/sight combo is tacky and a little ninja for a HD gun.

And how do the sticky sights stay on? I don't want them falling off on a desert trip in the back of the Branco and have a missing sight.

The only stickies Ive seen are for front sights.

prc77
05-31-2012, 9:08 AM
https://vangcomp.com/gun_accessories.html

Sicarius
05-31-2012, 10:01 AM
Ghost rings are great for slugs. In IPSC, you usually see people run with vent rib with a bead or fiber optic front. This is probably the best compromise for accuracy and fast target acquisition.
Kevin

CK_32
05-31-2012, 10:53 AM
I just think they make the gun look BA.

I saw this and this is exactly what I want accept side mounted light.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/sportin3s/a52ec65f.jpg

Dhena81
05-31-2012, 11:46 AM
They do make a Shotgun look BA. Scattergun tech makes good ghost rings but the Vang comp is better IMO since there is more protection. One issue with the front sight is if you solder vs glue is you'll have to refinish the barrel. I wouldn't recommend you drilling and tapping your receiver unless you know exactly what your doing I watched someone put mine on and I don't have the tools to do it properly.

The best place to have your light is on top or on the bottom depending on the weapon especially if you plan on switching from left to right.

One of the best ways to find out for yourself how much faster a bead sight is than ghost rings is shoot a little trap or skeet.

CK_32
05-31-2012, 1:02 PM
Yea I agree with it being mounted underneath but not on the forend like that. My cousin has a rail forend on his 590 and a light attached to the forend and we did some shooting at night with it on a camping trip and when racking the lights beam moved all around and a few times went off target which I didn't like and my buddy had a side mounted light on the actual barrel and tube and it stayed on target a lot better when racking the gun and the wiggle of the forend allowed the beam to move around which I think all that movement in a HD situation you be harder to stay focused and keep the beam on the intruder and possibly lose sight if he decided to dip out of the light.

tacticalcity
05-31-2012, 1:21 PM
Ironically I tend to be more effective with just a simple bead.

CK_32
05-31-2012, 1:38 PM
Ironically I tend to be more effective with just a simple bead.

Your not the only one if heard that from. Only people who really defend the ghost ring sights with experience is guys who shoots slugs 90% of the time. Everyone else says bead has always served them well for HD or competition style shooting with tactical shotguns and in most cases seems to be faster.

MossbergMan
05-31-2012, 6:04 PM
I concur with the bead sight being totally satisfactory for most all SG applications. I have both kinds of sights on various SGs I own and I favor the plain old bead hands down.
With that said, IF you want GR sights....Vangs the guy.
Scattergun/Wilson GR sights are okay, but there's no witness marking for windage adjustment or any repeatable sight adjustments. They are totally exposed if the gun is dropped or falls over. Even Mossberg's GR sight, IMO are better than Wilson's.