PDA

View Full Version : Kimber TLE 1911, Need Advice!

INFAMOUS762X39
05-28-2012, 4:46 PM
I recently took my HSC test "I got a perfect score", and bought my first 1911. My Kimber TLE is out of jail Thursday, anyone have solid advice for me? I am a Rifle guy so this is relatively new to me.

My Questions at the moment:
What Magazine is recommended/works best for kimbers? I was thinking to start out with a few Kimpro Tac mags or ACT/Chip Mc/Wilson/Les.

Should I get rid of the plastic mainspring housing? Anyone have issues?

For my "500Rd" Break in, what's the best commercial ammo to use? Winchester White Box/Remington/federals?

Should I break down my 1911 and clean it before I shoot it for the first time? Lube it with Oil or Grease?

Should I worry about MIM parts and replace them?

Recommend any quality IWB/magazine leather holsters?

Did I make an "ok" choice?

Any Helpful Tips is greatly Appreciated! Thanks!

Future 1911s I am interested in. "in no particular order":
Springfield Operator/EMP/Loaded
Les Baer TR/Concept II
Springfield Mil Spec
Colt Rail Gun
Sig 1911

BlackDrop50
05-28-2012, 4:50 PM
Kimber TacMags worked best for me.

Get rid of Plastic Mainspring. I used an Ed Brown, fit perfectly. Makes the gun feel more balanced but heavier.

Use any commercial ammo.

Clean and oil before use. Don't use grease whatsoever. Bad experience here. Stick with good oil.

My Kimber MIM parts have over 8000 rounds on them.

scglock
05-28-2012, 4:55 PM
Ive been using reloads on my tle/rl. Haven't had issues with the plastic mainspring housing but I plan on switching it out soon.
I use CMC shooting star and power mags and they've been flawless. The kimber mag it comes with sucks though. Clean and lube it before you shoot.. I just use ballistol.
If you have feeding problems try polishing the feed ramp. I had maybe 3 ftf's but polishing the feed ramp seemed to have fixed it.
You made an excellent choice.

skosh69
05-28-2012, 5:21 PM
Congrats on the Kimber! You made a GREAT choice.

Kimpro TacMags are great, so are Wilson Combat 47D's. TacMags can be found cheap at www.the-armory.com.

MIM is fine, you car is full of it, so is most of your household items.

Your poly MSH is fine, change it only if you really, really want a metal one.

1911's love lube, I apply a generous amount of FP-10 on the rails before shooting mine.

Any factory 230 gr ammo will be fine. My CDP eats anything, including my reloads without issue!

dadoody
05-28-2012, 5:41 PM
long time kimber tle user here:

WILSON combat 8round mags arre greeeeaaaaat for thiss gun.

Any ammo is fine. ANY. reloads, new, whatever. I'm still on the stock spring.

dougtoni
05-28-2012, 6:14 PM
My pro carry tle/rl works perfect. Havent changed anything but the grips. Only thing i cant find is a imb holster. If you find a company or now someone selling, please let me know. Enjoy our kimber, its a new love affair you are ready to have.

Duranimal
05-28-2012, 8:19 PM
I found the wilson etm wil feed anything u put in the, with my tle/rl i also have the chip power mags ad they temd to be really reliable with most ammo but a tad bit more finicky

AAShooter
05-28-2012, 8:25 PM
I only run Wilson mags in my 1911's.

erik_26
05-28-2012, 9:52 PM
Clean before use.

Any walmart brand (Cheap Federal or Winchester) ammo or better will be fine.

Wilson Combat are the best mags in my opinion.

No problems with my Kimber. I consider it to be a great entry level 1911.

Next would be a Springfield Operator

Followed by Springfield Professional or Les Baer.

Others may agree or disagree.

CrysisMonkey
05-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Clean before use.

Any walmart brand (Cheap Federal or Winchester) ammo or better will be fine.

Wilson Combat are the best mags in my opinion.

No problems with my Kimber. I consider it to be a great entry level 1911.

Next would be a Springfield Operator

Followed by Springfield Professional or Les Baer.

Others may agree or disagree.

And will. :)

Picking up my TLE tomorrow. Oh happy days!!!!:43:

M27
05-28-2012, 11:36 PM
I have a Eclipse Custom II so here are my responses to your questions based off my experience.

What Magazine is recommended/works best for kimbers? I was thinking to start out with a few Kimpro Tac mags or ACT/Chip Mc/Wilson/Les.

the tac mags are nice but the springs wore out after 4-500rounds replaced them with wilson springs and now they are my favorite mags. Chip Mc are my favorite 10 round mags.

I want to swap mine out because It's plastic but after over 1000 rounds there has been no issues.

For my "500Rd" Break in, what's the best commercial ammo to use? Winchester White Box/Remington/federals?

I used a mix of American Eagle and MagTech 230gn RN and it was fine not a single malfunction. I personally don't like the lower end Remington ammo.

Should I break down my 1911 and clean it before I shoot it for the first time? Lube it with Oil or Grease? Use only oil! I use FP-10

yes you must clean it first, it has way too much oil on it and when I cleaned mine out of the box it was dirtier than one would expect from the factory.

replace them as they brake and don't worry about them. I have a friend with a custom II less than a year old and over 5000 rounds through it, all original parts besides grips and the recoil spring.

sorry no help on this one

I love my kimber so from my very biased opinion you made a great choice.

negolien
05-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Search is terrible here for some reason but if you spent 5 hours going thru the results you'd have most of your answers lol..:p

I use Chip's shooting star 8 rounders and have had 0 issues.

If you wanted to get a nice arched MSH with a magwell that's cool but I have had 0 issues.

I use Wolf/UMC/tulla FMJ almost exclusivley for IDPA/range use. For CCW carry I use a mix of Critical Defense and Speer gold dots.

Yes always clean and inspect a weapon before EACH range trip.

MIM parts can be replaced if you wish I have had 0 issues.

IWB is king or supertucks.. I personally prefer a http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=safariland+paddle+holster+1911&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=650&wrapid=tlif133828014294610&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11217826066038008676&sa=X&ei=44jET66OFuGXiQKot5jbAQ&ved=0CHcQ8wIwAw myself.

A weapons like underwear no two people like the same thing so it's alot of personal preferance. I love my Kimber.

dadoody
05-29-2012, 4:32 AM
I recently took my HSC test "I got a perfect score", and bought my first 1911. My Kimber TLE is out of jail Thursday, anyone have solid advice for me? I am a Rifle guy so this is relatively new to me.

My Questions at the moment:
1.) What Magazine is recommended/works best for kimbers? I was thinking to start out with a few Kimpro Tac mags or ACT/Chip Mc/Wilson/Les.

2.) Should I get rid of the plastic mainspring housing? Anyone have issues?

3.) For my "500Rd" Break in, what's the best commercial ammo to use? Winchester White Box/Remington/federals?

4.) Should I break down my 1911 and clean it before I shoot it for the first time? Lube it with Oil or Grease?

5.)Should I worry about MIM parts and replace them?

6.) Recommend any quality IWB/magazine leather holsters?

7.) Did I make an "ok" choice?

1.) I have 4 8-rounds Kimber mags and they work fine, but are harder to clean. The Wilson Combat mags are flawless, so is Chip McCormick Shooting Star mag that I have.

2.) I got rid of my original mainspring housing and have on a 30-lpi Rock River Arms steel mainspring. The OG plastic one is fine if you are comfortable with it.

3.) All those factory fresh brass ammo is fine. I have never had a failure to feed or fire in the thousands of rounds I've put through mine. Still on the original recoil spring too.

4.) Yes. Avoid the brass brush though. No need for that thing unless you shoot exposed lead ammo. Polish the feed ramp a little with some Flitz.

5.) No.

6.) Galco? Kimber themselves sell decent ones.

7.) Yeah

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i206/dadoody/P1020568.jpg

fullspeed1
05-29-2012, 5:18 AM
Kim-Pro 8 rd Tacmags, CMC 10rd powermags and nothing but handloaded 230gr LRN through my Custom II. It ran just fine.....

21SF
05-29-2012, 8:00 AM
Google idiot mark, lol.

nocomply25
05-29-2012, 8:01 AM
The wilson worked best in my kimber. Just make sure you leave the mag loaded for a week or cycle loading and unloading it yourself because the first week i got the wilson it was hard to get the full mag in the gun. A full mag plus 1 was impossible. After leaving it loaded for a week and cycling the rounds in and out of the mag it was just right.

Tee Why
05-29-2012, 1:25 PM
I've used factory from Sigs, Springfield, and Kimber, along with Wilson mags. No issues with any of them. I like Wilson's b/c their plastic followers are smoother to load, but I suspect any reputable makers mag should be fine.

Only if you want to. Never had issues with them on my Springfield and Kimber.

I'd say no big deal if you choose a reputable maker. Personally, I buy the cheapest, except Wolf/Tulammo, as they are very dirty and they jammed before on my CZ 97B.

Should I break down my 1911 and clean it before I shoot it for the first time? Lube it with Oil or Grease?
Yes, I'd say initially oil, and after the gun has broken in, either oil or grease, depending on your preference. I prefer Wilson Combat Lube all II (IIRC). I don't think as long as you get a decent gun oil or lube and properly maintain your gun, it makes that much of a difference personally.

Some think that they break more easily than forged parts. Personally, unless you are shooting tens of thousands of rounds per year competing with the gun or shooting the hottest loads you can find, it's not a big deal. But if you don't like MIM parts because they are not forged, I guess you can replace them with forged ones, may get a bit expensive as I think Kimber uses them quiet a bit (not sure on this though).

Sorry, I only have a cheap old Fobus plastic holster and don't have any other experience with leather ones.

I think so. It's a nice gun.
Have fun shooting it.

DArBad
05-29-2012, 3:24 PM
I can't add much 'cause all your questions were answered already. Just want to welcome and congratulate you on the Kimber TLE II.

Just don't change anything yet, but take the time to know and shoot your TLE II till you've shot 1000 rounds or a bit more.

This might sound heretic, but I've changed back and forth between the OEM Kimber plastic MSH and a Wilson MSH and truth be told, I find the OEM quite acceptable and preferable. I am just keeping the Wilson MSH as backup, that's all.

zdragon
05-29-2012, 6:25 PM
congrats...you made an excellent choice with a Kimber.
My 4 year old Kimber CII is by far the most accurate 1911 i've ever owned regardless of cost.

zdragon
05-29-2012, 6:25 PM
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5817/p1070551m.jpg
By zdagon52 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/zdagon52) at 2012-05-10

PandaLuv
05-29-2012, 6:33 PM
My pro carry tle/rl works perfect. Havent changed anything but the grips. Only thing i cant find is a imb holster. If you find a company or now someone selling, please let me know. Enjoy our kimber, its a new love affair you are ready to have.

why is that woman in your avatar smiling while's shes getting mugged? Why is the mugger smiling ? :shock:

don't own a kimber, but cant go wrong with Wilson Combat.

And welcome to the hobby

BIGCHRIS
05-30-2012, 7:54 AM
I use the standard Kimber mags in mine and have had no issues....
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c329/N20SPLITBUMPER/377970_2183220875080_1529452860_n.jpg

Farrier-1
05-30-2012, 10:42 AM
I use the standard Kimber mags in mine and have had no issues....
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c329/N20SPLITBUMPER/377970_2183220875080_1529452860_n.jpg

I bought WC for mine too, but I've had NO issues with the factory mag as either.

disturbed1
05-30-2012, 11:50 AM
I bought a Kimber Custom II the other day and, well...I went into the store an as soon as I saw it, I told the clerk," I will take that one!" I after the whole transaction. I realized that it was a Custom II and not the Custom Tle II. Are they not the same except for the checkered front strap? It was alot cheaper than the TLE I bought before.

n2stackin
05-30-2012, 11:56 AM
I've had great luck with the Tripp Research Cobra magazines.

I removed my plastic mainspring and do not regret it. Easy to do yourself.

As said before, any good FMJ will do for break in.

YES. Clean it before you shoot it.

MIM parts are fine. Replace as you see fit.

Crossbreed IWB holster works great for me. Don't even know it's there.

I think you made a fine choice. Love my Kimbers.

Lexustech48
05-30-2012, 12:33 PM
I bought a Kimber Custom II the other day and, well...I went into the store an as soon as I saw it, I told the clerk," I will take that one!" I after the whole transaction. I realized that it was a Custom II and not the Custom Tle II. Are they not the same except for the checkered front strap? It was alot cheaper than the TLE I bought before.

No checkered front grip and no night sights. I think night sights are an extra $100 or so, thus the lower price of the basic Custom II.

XVIga_Rob
05-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Congrats on your purchase! Love my TLE!

I believe that all of your questions ave been answered. However, I will offer a comment or two.
* Prior to shooting. Field strip, clean and lube well (wet, but not dripping).
* Pick-up extra mags (at least 2). I like the Wilson 47D's.
* Shoot 230gr ball ammo

As far as replacing any parts (other than grips), wait until you've got a few hundred rounds down range. You may find you like it as is. You can't go wrong with a TLE!

Tips:
* Firm grip. Don't limp wrist it.
* Sight picture is cover your target, NOT 6 O'clock.

INFAMOUS762X39
05-31-2012, 8:08 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! Greatly appreciated.

I finally picked up my TLE tonite.Took me about 1.5hrs to break her down, study her, and clean her completely as well as oil/slight greasing. She was very dirty.

Overall I am happy! She is very tight, no rattling, no nicks or scratches, no rust!, and ramp is nicely polished. Trigger is very solid and crisp, needs to be broken in!

Can't wait to send rounds down range!

RUSSIAN
05-31-2012, 9:05 PM
Keep your barrel well oiled, mine(custom II)had no rust when I bought it, but developed a rust fingerprint after a couple hundred rounds. I absolutely love that gun!

LexLuther
05-31-2012, 9:25 PM
Get the chip mc 10 round mags. They work flawless and you can probably shoot local IDPA matches in single stack division by just loading 8 rounds, or bump up to limited 10 division with all the same equipment. Also the extended need mag is easier to grab from the belt or if you do have a jam, it is easier to tap to seat, or pull out. I sold all of my other mags and bought six of them, best pistol accessory I have purchased.