PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19, Different Grips

tal3nt
05-28-2012, 3:25 PM
After a long time experimenting with shooting the Glock 19 using various different gripping techniques, I've finally found the one that works for me. And while not completely sure, I think I've stumbled upon another discovery that's specific to the Glock 19 (others may have already found this out). I put my weak hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard while squeezing rearward pretty tightly for support. Anyways, I found that this grip always promoted very positive ejections of spent brass. I understand many people deal with the issue of having brass that ejects very weak and onto their head with G19s. I've actually had it happen to me a few times too while using other grips. ACTUALLY when I let most people shoot my 19, they get head brassed. But like I said, since using this grip, haven't had a single brass land on me yet. That's probably close to 1K. Oh and it's probably worth mentioning that I like to grip the Glock pretty darn tight.. I wouldn't call it a death grip though. Maybe you guys should try out the 'weak hand index finger trigger guard' grip (I'm sure there is a proper term..) with your Glocks and see if it doesn't help.

So how popular is this grip? I don't see to many people using it at the range. Maybe it has something to do with helping fight the snappy recoil muzzle rise because of the high front support of the pistol? I must say that with this grip I can get follow up shots the most quickly and accurately.

scglock
05-28-2012, 3:33 PM
I've tried it before, it can work for some people but I like thumbs forward more. Your brass shouldnt be hitting you in the face with whichever grip you use though.
Check if your ejector is stamped "336". If so, you need to send it back and have it replaced with a "30274"

tal3nt
05-28-2012, 3:39 PM
Will I have to send my entire gun? frame? assembly?

tal3nt
05-28-2012, 3:40 PM
This is a Gen3

scglock
05-28-2012, 3:46 PM
Not sure what glocks policy is so I cant help you on that.

Did you check the ejector number?

If anything, you can change it yourself. All you gotta do is punch out 3 pins, take out the disconnector and unhook a spring.

9mmepiphany
05-28-2012, 4:15 PM
Gen3s and Gen4s seem to have that problem...my Gen2 G19 ejects like it should. It isn't your grip, it's the gun.

As to using your support hand index finger on the hooked trigger guard...it wasn't in favor long enough to get a name, but I've heard it call the "Finger forward" and the "Hooked Trigger guard" grip

The hooked trigger guard originated in the early 70s with the ASP pistol (cutdown S&W M39) and the Swensen custom 1911s. This trigger guard modification became very popular on production pistols.

It was used heavily in competition in the mid-70s, when they were still shooting from the Weaver, until they discovered that it compromised their grip and their ability to make accurate followup shots at speed.

As the thumbs forward grip became the dominate grip for rapid placement of rounds on target, the practice became an oddity as it is incompatible with the thumbs forward grip...as the support hand fingers should be pointing downward. That is why you don't see it very often and you'd be hard pressed to fine someone who teaches it except to shooters who have hand injuries or limitations.

The major weakness of placing your support finger on the front of the trigger guard is that it compromises the hands contact with the frame. It caters to the philosophy of isometric tension, rather than enveloping the gripframe for recoil management