PDA

View Full Version : garand trigger group

Falstaff
05-28-2012, 12:01 PM
my new cmp special garand's trigger group keeps falling out. i've done some research and some people report that after installing a new stock the trigger group does this if the stock is not properly inletted. (cmp has new stock installed by cmp)however, i noticed that the trigger guard, when outside the rifle does not snap shut on itself. Is it supposed to? i see a little hook that looks like it should hang onto the back of the trigger guard but it is too far back to mechanically latch. when reassembling the trigger group there is no "snap" like i see on video of other garands when pyshing the trigger guard into the stock.
will cmp address this or is there an wasy fix?

G-forceJunkie
05-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Yes, it should snap into place. Your trigger guard is probably sprung out. When you close it, that little hook shold have to snap into that slot. Try gentally bending your trigger guard forward so the hook will be farther forward and be able to snap in and hold tight. If the stock is inletted too much, the trigger guard will still snap closed, but there will be movement as the stock will just be loose.

Falstaff
05-28-2012, 1:37 PM
i think i have the milled trigger guard, will it bend? when closed the bottom of the trigger is just barely (maybe 1/64th) touching the guard so there isnt much room to bend...

dachan
05-28-2012, 1:41 PM
You're probably just being to gentle. Close the trigger guard and give it a sharp slap with the bottom of a closed fist. It needs to snap into place.

brianinca
05-28-2012, 2:12 PM
>>>
i think i have the milled trigger guard, will it bend?
>>>

The milled guards won't really bend, which is one reason they changed the design. On a new stock with an in-spec trigger guard, you should have to force the guard the last .5"-1.5". Not sure I'd care to bust my knuckles hitting it with a closed fist, but you want to have to whack it a good one with the heel of your hand to get it locked.

If that's not the case, time to call the CMP. I'm surprised a rebuild got out the door that way, but these things happen. That tight fit is ONE of the critical aspects that determine best accuracy in a Garand.

Regards,
Brian in CA

paratroop
05-28-2012, 9:01 PM
try using a screwdriver, or cleaning rod and put it through the little hole on the back of the guard. pull it to the rear as you push it in. some go easier than others.

G-forceJunkie
05-28-2012, 9:12 PM
Guys, unless I'm reading the OP's first post wrong, the trigger guard wont even snap into place with the stock off. I'm guessing the trigger guard has been pullet to the rear too hard and bent it. Pulling it to the rear or smacking it isnt going to help.

try using a screwdriver, or cleaning rod and put it through the little hole on the back of the guard. pull it to the rear as you push it in. some go easier than others.

Orlando
05-29-2012, 3:09 AM
He has a milled trigger guard, I seriously doubt it is bent. Either he is doing something wrong or the hook is worn on the back of the gaurd
Can you post a closeup pic of the hook?

george223
05-29-2012, 9:51 PM
OP, I didn't get the impression that you knew what a milled trigger guard looked like so here is a picture of one. If yours looks diffierent, then it is stamped. Either your trigger guard is worn and out of spec or you are not doing it correctly. To open or close my trigger guard, I have to pull back on it to get the hook to snap onto the trigger housing. The milled guards are much stiffer and will take a little more effort. I've had both but I'm partial to the milled guard and that's what is on my rifle now.

If possible, post a couple of pictures of your trigger group. One with the guard closed and the other with it slighly open.