PDA

View Full Version : Getting into this long distance shooting but as a beginner

ohnozombeez
05-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Hi all, Ive been interested in purchasing a beginner bolt action rifle in a .308. Now I know most of you will say get a Remiongton 700 sps or the like, but im talkin beginner, as in Im on a budget beginner. Ive looked at the Savage Arms Axis XS and the Mossberg ATR. Both come with a scope which Im sure will get me going, but Im sure Ill end up changing it up to better glasses. Will also be adding a bipod. My goal is to not break the bank and get a decent bolkt action and see how far I can shoot it. If any of you can help me, please feel free to offer suggestions to me. Thanks!!!

pontiacpratt
05-28-2012, 1:31 PM
Reloading set up is a must. Just by using handloads I went from 3-4" groups with factory ammo to 1-2" groups.

scrat
05-28-2012, 1:33 PM
Reloading set up is a must. Just by using handloads I went from 3-4" groups with factory ammo to 1-2" groups.

+1 Reloads are a must

.45heat
05-28-2012, 3:21 PM
I was in the same the boat, I purchased a Howa 1500 .308, came with NikkoStritling Nighteater scope 4-16x. It was 600ish and for what it is, it great. Last weekend I went to a precision shooting clinic, held by CAPRC, and learned that the rifle needs to fit you well in order to shoot it accurately. When looking for your bolt action, check your length of pull, a decent stock where you can get a good cheek weld.

ohnozombeez
05-28-2012, 5:16 PM
Im not familiar with ammo as far as reloads and match grade yet, but gettin there. thanks. also still learning about glass, as ive decided to purchase a decent scope. length of pull I dont get?

OldShooter32
05-28-2012, 5:23 PM
Go out to a long-range match and pick the brains of the guys shooting. It is a wonderful sport and shooters will help you sort the "what works" from the "BS."

CSACANNONEER
05-28-2012, 5:34 PM
IMHO, this is the basic order of importance:

Quality trigger time
Quality handloaded ammo
Quality glass and mounts
A quality rest system and knowing how to properly use it
A quality rifle

The rifle itself will be the cheapest part of the equation. Get what you like now and replace it as you feel the need to.

LovingTheYear1911
05-28-2012, 5:40 PM
Here is what I have learned over the years if you want to be a target shooter and go for accuracy:

1) Get a good rifle with a free floating barrel and a bull/heavy barrel
2) Get good ammo - either reload or buy reloads off someone you trust
3) Get a good quality scope
4) Practice, practice, practice. Get in a comfy position, make sure the rifle is well rested (bi-pod, vice), and work on your breathing and trigger pull. Breathing and trigger pull play a big part in accuracy, especially if you are shooting long range because a little movement will be BIG movement at 200 plus yards.

Honestly save up and get something good. I went with a light barrel and combo set (Savage with a Bushnell scope) and ended up replacing the barrel, stock, and scope.

scotty99
05-28-2012, 8:16 PM
I think one important thing here is to define what you mean by "long range." You need to be realistic about what you and your rig are capable of. I would hate to think you'd buy a budget rig to start out, then give up on this pursuit because you're not shooting tiny groups at 600 yards. Give us some more info on your goals and we can give you much better feedback on where to start and what to realistically expect.

Short Action Precision
05-28-2012, 8:32 PM
Cheap and Precision dont really go hand in hand!! You can get away with a cheaper build but still wont be "cheap".

ohnozombeez
05-28-2012, 8:48 PM
ok, Im starting out in the gun world in general. Having a couple of handguns, as well as an AR15, I decided Id like another rifle in my collection. I was watching a guy at the Sac range not too long ago with a bolt action .308 and he was plinking away at 300 yards and caught my interest. I was going through youtuba and what not on the subject and got even more interested. Looked at the precision gallery and was like wow. Only trouble is $$$ is not there. Ive seen a couple of builds from a remington 700 to a video of a savage axis and the guy have nice groupings at 1 MOA. So you can say Im torn between spending a plethora of money on a top of the line rifle, or go with a beginner level rifle. Im not expecting to go out and hit a can at 500 yards right away either, but as Ive said am interested in the subject.

Sheepdog1968
05-28-2012, 9:28 PM
Take an Appleseed to inexpensively learn fundamentals of shooting. A semi auto 22 will work great for this. As for the rifle. I'm guessing all of them will be fine out to 300 yards.

Pthfndr
05-28-2012, 10:08 PM
ok, Im starting out in the gun world in general. Having a couple of handguns, as well as an AR15, I decided Id like another rifle in my collection.

What kind of AR15 build do you have? Barrel length? Barrel twist? Scoped? Iron sights?

Depending on what you have, there's no reason you can't use your AR to shoot out to 600 yards with good accuracy.

Last Sunday at the NCPPRC new shooter clinic, we had two guys with ARs. One with a 16" barrel with a 1/7 twist. With 75gr Hornady ammo we got him on target all the way out to 1000 yards.

Josh3239
05-28-2012, 10:31 PM
Handloading has made the biggest difference for me. It can actually be done for a surprisingly low cost.

ohnozombeez
05-29-2012, 6:27 PM
I like the idea of shooting long distance with my AR, and think I'll try that too. But as I've said I'm interested in
Purchasing a bolt action rifle. Add another rifle to my collection. I'd like a .308 in my collection, but wondering if the 2 Ive mentioned earlier were decent to shoot.

scotty99
05-29-2012, 9:40 PM
Between the two you mention, I would steer you towards the Savage, principally because I believe it will hold its value better, and if you decide you like this sport you will likely be upgrading.

When choosing a .308, don't forget to factor ammo cost at about $1 per round, often more. One thing you might consider is a bolt action .22LR, or even a .22 magnum, and then shoot smaller targets at closer ranges. A .22 mag at 100 or 200 yards will teach you a lot, and be much cheaper to shoot than a .308.

ohnozombeez
05-29-2012, 10:01 PM
What kind of AR15 build do you have? Barrel length? Barrel twist? Scoped? Iron sights?

Depending on what you have, there's no reason you can't use your AR to shoot out to 600 yards with good accuracy.

Last Sunday at the NCPPRC new shooter clinic, we had two guys with ARs. One with a 16" barrel with a 1/7 twist. With 75gr Hornady ammo we got him on target all the way out to 1000 yards.

You caught my interest