PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to lock a shotgun through trigger gaurd?

BlackonBlack
05-28-2012, 11:37 AM
So I keep a shotgun in my closet for home defense. Lately I've been a little worried about having it just sitting in my closet (although hidden). I don't want to put it in any kind of locking case but I do want to be able to lock it down to keep it away from anyone unauthorized to handle it. I was thinking about drilling a hole in the floor and attaching an anchor. From the anchor I was going to loop it through the trigger gaurd and then lock it. Is if reasonably safe to use the trigger gaurd to lock a shotgun?

ICONIC
05-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Instead of going through the trouble of drilling a hole in the floor.

Just get a shot lock. It locks the shotgun from the trigger guard and the ejection port. There are also locking wall mounts you can buy if you want it to stay in place.

BlackonBlack
05-28-2012, 1:46 PM
I do have a shot lock and use it however it doesn't prevent the gun from being moved or stolen. Can I lock it to something using the trigger gaurd? Would that secure it safely?

d33pt
05-28-2012, 1:56 PM
http://www.shotlock.com/

Iconic is referring to this product, not just a gun lock.

wjc
05-28-2012, 4:51 PM
You could also look into getting a quick access safe for a single shotgun. I think Boyd's makes one.

glock 357
05-28-2012, 5:17 PM
If you have kids living with you get a safe $300. If don't then get a stackon cabinet for a mere $120 at big5 and bolt it down.

I do have a shot lock and use it however it doesn't prevent the gun from being moved or stolen. Can I lock it to something using the trigger gaurd? Would that secure it safely?

readysetgo
05-28-2012, 5:22 PM
What gun do you have that it can't be locked through the action? Locking through the trigger guard wouldn't prevent loading and firing ammunition.

smittty
05-28-2012, 6:38 PM
What gun do you have that it can't be locked through the action? Locking through the trigger guard wouldn't prevent loading and firing ammunition.

If the cable or chain is sized short enough it would be difficult to manipulate.

Unless it's locked inside a safe or gun cabinet a thief might still be able to muscle the connection point and get it free.

The anchor or connection to the floor or wall would have to be well thought out. Is the floor concrete, wood framed? First floor, 2nd floor?

It's good that you thinking about preventing it from being stolen.

readysetgo
05-29-2012, 10:37 AM
If the cable or chain is sized short enough it would be difficult to manipulate.

Difficult to manipulate is not the same as "SAFE". If the gun can be loaded and fired that would not be safe in my book.

Unless it's locked inside a safe or gun cabinet a thief might still be able to muscle the connection point and get it free.

The anchor or connection to the floor or wall would have to be well thought out. Is the floor concrete, wood framed? First floor, 2nd floor?

It's good that you thinking about preventing it from being stolen.

Agreed on the anchor being sturdy and theft prevention good to think about...

OP asked a pretty specific question though:
1. Anchor firearm

2. Render firearm "safe" through the trigger guard

With the condition he does not want a case (assuming safe/cabinet included in that statement).

So I keep a shotgun in my closet for home defense. Lately I've been a little worried about having it just sitting in my closet (although hidden). I don't want to put it in any kind of locking case but I do want to be able to lock it down to keep it away from anyone unauthorized to handle it. I was thinking about drilling a hole in the floor and attaching an anchor. From the anchor I was going to loop it through the trigger gaurd and then lock it. Is if reasonably safe to use the trigger gaurd to lock a shotgun?

No, it would not be "reasonably safe" to lock through only the trigger guard with a cable or padlock whether or not it's anchored to anything.

If your anchor is sturdy enough and you run a locked cable or similar through the action, I'd say you've:
1. Prevented a quick smash and grab or other quick assault on your property.
2. Rendered the firearm "safe" from being fired.

Anyways, good luck and stay safe.