PDA

View Full Version : Moving to CA from MA

EckmanOne
05-28-2012, 9:54 AM
Hi Everyone,

My fiance and I are moving to LA area in about a month. We both have CC Permits in MA and I have been reading through as much as I can here to see what we are going to have to do. It definitely looks like we are not going to be able to carry any more. I just want to clarify a couple things here with some guns I have.

I have a SW 459 which I don't see on the approved roster, but this was manufactured in the 80's. I bought it from my father about a month ago and in MA its grandfathered in even though its not approved. Can I bring this to CA with me or is that considered importing? Is it importing if its personal use?

I also have a ruger lcp, I can't bring that either?

Finally, in MA you can have >10rd mags if they were manufactured before 1994. You didn't have to own them before that. Not the Case in CA? I can't bring any with me? Is it really okay to have them disassembled? Would it be better to just leave them with my father? He is a LEO in NJ.

Thanks for your help.

paul0660
05-28-2012, 10:01 AM
The roster does not matter for new residents. You do have to register handguns @ $19 each within a short time. You may import magazine parts no matter what the capacity.

Enjoy the weather.

sirgiles
05-28-2012, 10:05 AM
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/FAQ#I_am_moving_to_California._What_CAN.27T_I_brin g_with_me.3F

EckmanOne
05-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Awesome thank you

morrcarr67
05-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Here is the form you'll need to use to register your guns within 60 days of them being in CA.

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/ab991frm.pdf?

Welcome to CA and CalGuns!

Mr310
05-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Congrats on the 459. That's a great gun!

EckmanOne
05-28-2012, 1:10 PM
Thanks, it was my fathers old service pistol and he was consolidating. Ran it yesterday for the first time and was great.

JeremyS
05-28-2012, 1:54 PM
To clarify just a touch further, in case it helps or is of interest to you:

* the roster ONLY applies to the sale of guns from an FFL to a citizen. New or used does not matter, but if the gun is owned by the gun store it must be on the roster to be sold to somebody who is not exempt from the roster (law enforcement, etc). Private party transfers facilitated by an FFL, including guns sold via consignment at an FFL, are not subject to the roster. Nor is moving into the state with guns that you already own. So... this is not something you need to worry about until you're thinking of buying a new gun from a gun shop.

* Just make sure your guns do not violate a CA assault weapons law. For instance, a threaded barrel on a semi-auto pistol, .50 BMG outright ban, necessity for a locked magazine if the gun has a pistol grip (or one of the other silly evil "features") and the mag is not within the pistol grip, etc etc blah blah. Do some reading on these things if there's any concern.

* It is illegal to import, manufacture, sell, loan, cause to be imported, etc, magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. No exemptions for moving into the state with one you've owned forever -- it would still be importing. Disassembled parts don't count as a magazine so bring 'em if you want 'em. Putting them together into a working mag would be a felony. However, note that owning and using an 11+ round magazine is legal and it doesn't matter how you acquired it or when you acquired it as long as it did not involve you importing, manufacturing, or causing one of those things to happen. It's actually legal to buy one, although I would not recommend it. But... if you found one in the woods or in the attic of the house you move into you'd be able to keep it and use it all you want.

sneather
05-28-2012, 7:23 PM
Welcome to California. You're going to love it here. Everyone talks about the weather, but for very good reason. It's just always nice out here. Never too hot, and never too cold. At least in LA. Also, you're moving to one of the most eclectic, and culturally diverse cities in the world. Unmatched for food, if that's your thing.

As for all things CA guns, you've obviously come to the right place. We may have crap gun laws here (then again, MA is essentially just as bad) but as you'll come to find, there are totally legal ways around some of the hassles. And we are a very vocal minority in this state.

stix213
05-29-2012, 1:38 AM
If you have ever visited California prior to Jan 1st 2000 with those pre-94 mags of yours, you are free to bring them back here and use them as long as it is not in a fixed magazine rifle or pistol. Not sure if that applies to you.

EckmanOne
05-29-2012, 4:18 PM
Welcome to California. You're going to love it here. Everyone talks about the weather, but for very good reason. It's just always nice out here. Never too hot, and never too cold. At least in LA. Also, you're moving to one of the most eclectic, and culturally diverse cities in the world. Unmatched for food, if that's your thing.

As for all things CA guns, you've obviously come to the right place. We may have crap gun laws here (then again, MA is essentially just as bad) but as you'll come to find, there are totally legal ways around some of the hassles. And we are a very vocal minority in this state.

The weather is the main reason I'm coming. and the food. I can't wait. Other than the 10rd mag limit I'm not really seeing too much difference between MA and CA. Even the CC permitting process is similar, except its up to town police chief and like I said I'm giving up that right heading into LA county. But AWB is similar(not directly impacted yet-only have handguns). I was glad to find this sight though, I am on a similar one for MA: northeastshooters.com and its basically how I learned everything for MA. I was glad to see you guys have the same.

Hilldweller
05-29-2012, 5:01 PM
Oh geeze, I was hoping you were headed for Northern California. LA County is one of the most restrictive areas. If you live in L.A. City proper you can say goodbye to buying ammo through the internet. Prohibited there. (LA City, not LA County)

I believe CCW's are up to the County Sheriff's here in California. Depending on where you are you may be able to get one. (friend of mine did but he's in Northern California) You can definitely forget it in LA County. From what I've read here it's virtually impossible.

Have you considered moving to Orange County or other Counties in the region? Could open up some options for you.

yuccales
05-30-2012, 6:12 AM
Welcome to Calguns and California. Enjoy!

danez71
05-30-2012, 7:13 AM
If you have ever visited California prior to Jan 1st 2000 with those pre-94 mags of yours, you are free to bring them back here and use them as long as it is not in a fixed magazine rifle or pistol. Not sure if that applies to you.

I'd appreciate it if you could expand on this. Do you have a statute to cite or anything similar?

The info would be very valuable.

TIA

morrcarr67
05-30-2012, 8:03 AM

I'd appreciate it if you could expand on this. Do you have a statute to cite or anything similar?

The info would be very valuable.

TIA

If I have a large-capacity magazine, do I need to get rid of it?

No. Continued possession of large-capacity magazines (able to accept more than 10 rounds) that you owned in California before January 1, 2000, is not prohibited. However as of January 1, 2000, it is illegal to buy, manufacture, import, keep for sale, expose for sale, give or lend any large-capacity magazine in California except by law enforcement agencies, California peace officers, or licensed dealers.

(PC Section 12020 (b)(19-29))

So, if you owned magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds and you and they were in CA before 1/01/2000 you may keep and use them all you want.

danez71
05-30-2012, 5:45 PM
So, if you owned magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds and you and they were in CA before 1/01/2000 you may keep and use them all you want.

Thanks for the reply.

But what if a person owned the 10+ mags prior to 2000... then moved out of CA with the mags after 2000 .... and then moved back to CA after 2000?

Wouldnt that be considered "importing"?

Librarian
05-30-2012, 6:59 PM
Thanks for the reply.

But what if a person owned the 10+ mags prior to 2000... then moved out of CA with the mags after 2000 .... and then moved back to CA after 2000?

Wouldnt that be considered "importing"?

No. PC 32420 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/32420.html)
Section 32310 does not apply to the importation of a
large-capacity magazine by a person who lawfully possessed the
large-capacity magazine in the state prior to January 1, 2000,
lawfully took it out of the state, and is returning to the state with
the same large-capacity magazine.

danez71
05-30-2012, 7:17 PM
No. PC 32420 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/32420.html)

Awsome.

Thank you for providing the PC. (both of you)