PDA

View Full Version : Shot corrosive, didn't clean my AK74. And what happened?

sd_shooter
05-28-2012, 12:01 AM
I shot the cheap Russian 5.45 in my AK a few weeks ago and decided to not clean it. Why?
- AKs are in use all over the world and I don't ever hear of them rusting shut
- Corrosive ammo must be used by 99% of AK users outside the USA
- The only time I've ever seen signs of rust are when I've used water to clean, and that's in the small zig zag grooves on the muzzle brake

And.... nothing happened. It didn't rust. After the few weeks I ran a boresnake through it and looked down the barrel - shiny and new (it is chrome lined after all.)

So I don't think I'll be cleaning it in the future either. It's not a huge pain to clean compared to an AR, but if the current thinking on ARs is to leave them dirty, why not the AK with even more confidence?

Merc1138
05-28-2012, 12:06 AM
"corrosive" ammo doesn't cause a problem on it's own. It's the salts in the primer that get sprayed everywhere that attract moisture later. If it ever gets humid where it's stored, it might become an issue later. That being said, there is a huge difference between leaving a gun dirty with non-corrosive ammo, and leaving something that might actually cause a problem later.

Rover
05-28-2012, 12:18 AM
Corrosive ammo is the reason you never see Mosin Nagants with good bores, oh wait, you see them all the time.....

nick
05-28-2012, 12:19 AM
I guess, it's not too humid where you live. Still, check the gas block.

The issues may arise when it gets humid, as the corrosive salts in the primers will mix with the moisture in the air.

As for the world, the AKs used by decent enough militaries are cleaned religiously (and are often ruined by it). On the other hand, the AKs used by irregulars, crappy militaries, and civilians who don't take care of them are normally rusted. They still work in many cases (and many don't), but they do rust. It's hard to tell how much of this is due to corrosive ammo though.

Bartin
05-28-2012, 12:29 AM
so you'll clean it once it starts rusting? I'd rather clean my gun than risk it getting ruined. It's your gun, do what you want, but corrosive primers aren't some conspiracy by gun cleaning companies.

safewaysecurity
05-28-2012, 12:31 AM
If there's moisture then you're screwed. I shot my AK with corrosive yugo and nothing happened after a day of no cleaning. Then I shot my yugo on a rainy day and I started seeing MAJOR rust all over the gun after only a few hours. Luckily a quick spraydown with the hose, windex, hoppes no 9 and rem oil did the trick and made it look like new.

ebola zaire
05-28-2012, 12:35 AM
You are very lucky. I did the same thing but my cheap surplus ammo actually said "non corrosive" came back a month or so later and everything was rusted. It was a mess. Finally got it cleaned back up.

saki302
05-28-2012, 12:35 AM
I had a black powder pistol turn into a boat anchor in THREE DAYS when I was too lazy to clean it.

I won't make that mistake ever again.

-Dave

mdib870
05-28-2012, 1:01 AM
you ever hear about the vc that died laying on his ak it was rusted shut the G.I. picked up the rifle kicked the bolt open loaded a fresh mag and it fired.....i think your GOOD TO GO!! :chinese:

sd_shooter
05-28-2012, 6:28 AM
The gas block, piston and tube all looked fine. In fact I haven't cleaned the gas tube in a very long time (years?) I live in San Diego - I wouldn't say it's humid, it's just 'normal' all year round (LOL!) I keep my gun in a silicon gun sock within a heated safe.

Ok so I'm normally attentive if not a gun pamperer. I just hear of people rushing to soak their guns immediately after shooting corrosive ammo, but it seems the situation isn't really that dire - you can let them be for a little while and clean them when you get around to it. Might be next month, or the one after that, or 6 months.

05-28-2012, 6:41 AM
Although I never shot corrosive...I would prob be one of those guys to rush...

Hope all is well sd...

hossb7
05-28-2012, 7:14 AM
I forgot to clean mine once.

Worse I had to do was kick the bolt open.

tujungatoes
05-28-2012, 7:19 AM
I just hear of people rushing to soak their guns immediately after shooting corrosive ammo, but it seems the situation isn't really that dire.

Yes. The "OMG hurry I have to clean it before it rusts shut in the next 5 seconds" mentality is completely retarded. But I really do advocate cleaning your guns when you get home. That way it's not forgotten, and just incase the weather gets sh*tty you wont have a bunch of cancer growing all over your gun.

.....says the guy that needs to go clean the SVT-40 and m48 he shot yesterday.:rolleyes:

SanPedroShooter
05-28-2012, 7:40 AM
I get a bit of rust in the gas tube, thats usually it. One time I thought I would be clever and use water, and the damn thing had rust growing all over it, like fast... It just appeared in all the little corners and crevices.

I just wipe the thing down with Hoppes and call it good.

weber_2
05-28-2012, 8:29 AM
Check you gas tube. I didn't clean my Saiga after shooting corrosive ammo and I had rust in the tube and rust had also eaten thru parts of my piston.

NYsteveZ
05-28-2012, 8:48 AM
Make sure when you clean the gas tube you do NOT leave too heavy of a film of oil behind. If you do, make sure to dry it down before you shoot. Reason-Leaving the oil may increase your gas pressure to dangerous levels.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
05-28-2012, 9:01 AM
:popcorn:

Manolito
05-28-2012, 9:43 AM
I don't own an AK so I can't speak to cleaning. I can tell you corrosive ammo and the monsoon in south east asia is pretty humid and those AKs didn't see a lot of oil and bore brushes. The humidity was 100% and the temperature was always in excess of 75. I never saw one fail to fire. I can't say the same for a M-16.

NorCalK9.com
05-28-2012, 9:50 AM
Lol oved 18k rounds thru my 74 only 200 rounds were non corrosive, the rest is russian surplus.
Only 2 things happened.
1 my muzzlebrake got stuck. Easy to get off with heat.
2 after 10k rounds i had a little and i mean little rusy in gas tube. Both cleaned up easy. I havnt cleaned my 74 since the 11k round mark when i soaked it in a tub of diesel n oil for a week.
Heres my rusty 74 that has no rust.
http://i.imgur.com/jjDlt.jpg

RobGR
05-28-2012, 11:18 AM
SD Shooter, just be sure to at least take that muzzle break off and scrape the build up off the muzzle. I usually have to use a brass brush to clean up the muzzle. Previously I had unfortunately mentioned to use steel wool, never use steel wool, only brass or nylon brushes.

It's been humid here lately, especially along the coast, lots of moisture. I do clean after every outing, just the way my dad taught me when I shot with him when I was a kid. On friday I shot 4 firearms at Angeles, came home, cleaned all 4, but really focused on the 47 b/c I was using yugo. I see big yellow crusty blobs from yugo brass after a couple of days, but yeah, haven't seen any with 7n6. I don't want to wait to see it though, just part of my cleaning regiment to take care of business when I get home. I'm lucky tho, my current rental has a sink in the garage, so dump all the internals in there and pour hot water over everything without consequences... namely the wife taking issue with it, which would be the case if I did it in the bathtub.

Good to hear, keep us posted on the experiment, especially b/c I live in the area too, so it is very relevant. Where are you taking your 74 tho; BLM, Raahauge's, Rainbow, On Target? Keep your secret spot if you do have one ;-)

deadcoyote
05-28-2012, 11:36 AM
I once accidentally replicated your experiment with an Ishapore Enfield and ammo from a local surplus store which i had paid extra for to get the non-corrosive surplus. As my gunsmith said a few weeks later "this bore looks like a north korean sewer pipe".

Dhena81
05-28-2012, 11:45 AM
I'd flush it with hot water so it evaporates quick and oil with ballistol

paratroop
05-28-2012, 10:15 PM
My experience is the opposite. My 74 is the only rifle I have to get to as soon as possible and with extra care or it rusts up quick. I shoot old corrosive milsurp through all my c&rs with no problems. It's just that 5.45mm I ever have to worry about. Also I do not have a safe heater, dehumidifier, silicone gun socks, etc.

CZ9
05-29-2012, 12:55 AM
huh... I just cleaned my Saiga for the first time in about a year or more (usually I don't clean it - it's an AK) and noticed a little rust on the op rod and a decent amount more in the gas tube :(
I've never shot any corrosive milsurp ammo through it at all, just commercial russian wolf and other steel cased

tuna quesadilla
05-29-2012, 12:57 AM
Clean your weapon...

Ruiner
05-29-2012, 1:32 AM
A friend of mine didn't clean his M48 for 2 weeks after shooting corrosive ammo. It all depends how much moisture is in the air... His place had an evaporative cooler so his bore rusted pretty badly in pretty short order. If it's pretty dry, you can get away with not cleaning for a while. Personally I wouldn't risk leaving it for more than a day or 2 after seeing what it did to his rifle.

VegasND
05-29-2012, 6:24 AM
I'm pretty nonchalant about cleaning after using corrrosive ammo and I've never had a problem, but I live in a dry climate.

6mmintl
05-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Any rust yet? flaking chome in bore?

llamatrnr
05-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Sounds like you're ready for a Glock! ;)

james758
05-29-2012, 12:21 PM
The one thing I like about the AK's is that they only get so dirty before they become self cleaning.
Whenever I take my 74 out, I always get a pot of boiling water and strip the gun and pour the pot of water down the barrel until it overflows through the gas port, place all the parts in a bucket of warm water and add some boiling water to that, let the parts get nice and warm and as soon as you remove them (caution: water will be hot) and shake them off, they are bone dry in just a few seconds. Lube, reassemble, cycle, cycle, cycle.
I have forgotten to do my little ritual before and came back a month later and look down my barrel and guess what!!! no rust. But cleaning guns is like meditation for me. It focuses the front of my mind on the mundane task and lets the rest of my mind find peace.

chead
05-29-2012, 1:05 PM
I get a bit of rust in the gas tube, thats usually it. One time I thought I would be clever and use water, and the damn thing had rust growing all over it, like fast... It just appeared in all the little corners and crevices.

I just wipe the thing down with Hoppes and call it good.

This is especially true of the gas tube because it gets so hot and the crud is so abrasive. If you add salts to the mix, it's the place most likely to get rusty. On the other hand, it's like a $10 part.

RobGR
07-04-2012, 4:17 PM
Did you clean it yet, SD Shooter?

Can't blame you if you did, that milsurp is dir----teeeee!

MrPlink
07-05-2012, 3:00 AM
My AK has suffered more rust from being kept in a leaky car trunk than anything else. Besides, they still run rusted as all hell. Just look at the somali guns.

problemchild
07-05-2012, 4:13 AM
I snapped a pic of his gun at the range last time.

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt156/rosco2009/rustyak.jpg

sd_shooter
07-05-2012, 6:54 AM
Took my 74 out a couple times since the last update. I have run a boresnake through it, but have not done the water cleanup. Still no trouble, muzzle brake just looks like it has soot on it, same with the gas tube. The grease on the rails has become black (used to be red.) The bolt looks fine, ie. very little soot and no rust.

I will put it into the same cleaning rotation as the rest of my guns, ie. occasional treatment with Hoppes/CLP/Mobil1. I have seen no detrimental effects from leaving it dirty after a range trip.

BruinGuy
07-05-2012, 7:54 AM
Glad to hear you haven't seen any problems. It's pretty dry in Southern California, but during the wet season you should keep an eye on it.

Like RobGR says above though, clean the remove your muzzle brake and clean the threads on it and the muzzle, or it will freeze up. I cleaned my 74 pretty thoroughly but forgot about the brake and it froze on with rust. Took Kroil and and inserting a screwdriver for torque to break it free, and then I had to steel wool the threads.

Having said that, I suspect that pouring boiling water through the bore had as much to do with that rust as the corrosive ammo...

paul0660
07-05-2012, 8:12 AM
So I don't think I'll be cleaning it in the future either.

Works for me. I mean you not cleaning your guns.

tonelar
07-05-2012, 8:20 AM
The main reason somalis et al let their AKs rust is because they're $45
If we could buy them for twice that price most of our AKs would look just like theirs.

starsnuffer
07-05-2012, 8:30 AM
It took you longer to post on the internet about why you won't clean your gun then the time it took to run a snake through it. Just pointing out your priorities.

-W

Noonanda
07-05-2012, 8:32 AM
Muzzle break on my 74 seems to be the only place I get rust on, so I always clean that up. It is a bulgarian parts kit I built on a No-Dak receiver a few years back. never had any issues other than the Muzzlebreak rusting up

NOTABIKER
07-05-2012, 10:02 AM
cleaning and taking care of a gun is part of owning a gun. why do people take poor care of their stuff. i pamper my stuff. i shot my mosin sunday and within 1 HR i was giving it a very good cleaning. i treat my 118 dollar rifle better than some do a 2,000 dollar rifle.

kcjr1125
07-05-2012, 10:03 AM
lol:p

Richard Erichsen
07-05-2012, 12:53 PM
I snapped a pic of his gun at the range last time.

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt156/rosco2009/rustyak.jpg

Maybe it was photographed mid "rust-bluing" ;)

R

sd_shooter
07-05-2012, 1:17 PM
It took you longer to post on the internet about why you won't clean your gun then the time it took to run a snake through it. Just pointing out your priorities.

-W

That's not the point. I clean all my guns eventually, but I no longer believe the boiling water approach is truly necessary. (At least for me, there is very little humidity in the San Diego inland areas.)

cleaning and taking care of a gun is part of owning a gun. why do people take poor care of their stuff. i pamper my stuff. i shot my mosin sunday and within 1 HR i was giving it a very good cleaning. i treat my 118 dollar rifle better than some do a 2,000 dollar rifle.

Remember Filthy 14? It was not pampered and still shot just fine.

docsmileyface
07-05-2012, 1:36 PM
I shot corrosive surplus ammo out of an AR15, thought I cleaned it up well enough, deployed for a year and came back with copper corrosion growing out of the flash hider. Took a lot of soaking in solvent and scrubbing with q-tips to get it to stop keyholing every other round.

valley82
07-05-2012, 4:10 PM
I pretty much clean my weapons after every time I shoot when I get home, it is just part of shooting for me. Besides the fact that my father was a military man and so it was engrained in me to clean after shooting. Don't want him to come back and haunt me. Just my 2 cents.

RobGR
07-06-2012, 2:27 PM
I don't see what the problem is with him giving it a test.

If it rusts, then it rusts, and he'll let us know. I'm sure a bunch on Nancy's would say "I told you so" when why does it even matter, at least it's a first hand experience that he can report back on. Something to talk about at least instead of the same ffffking threads about Saiga vs Arsenal vs WASR.

chead
07-08-2012, 5:13 PM
I don't see what the problem is with him giving it a test.

If it rusts, then it rusts, and he'll let us know. I'm sure a bunch on Nancy's would say "I told you so" when why does it even matter, at least it's a first hand experience that he can report back on. Something to talk about at least instead of the same ffffking threads about Saiga vs Arsenal vs WASR.

The thing is it WILL rust. Now or later, if
you don't flush the salts, you'll get rust. If you have a chrome-lined barrel and keep the gun well lubed it will probably only show up in the gas tube. It's not a big deal, but it's not a mystery either. Salts plus humidity makes rust.

Kappy
07-08-2012, 5:18 PM
Why not clean it? Cleaning a gun is fun!

repubconserv
07-08-2012, 5:19 PM
and people think I'm cray because I almost never clean my moss 500...

I am happy to see some other people on here who don't freak out when their gun isn't spotless

Merc1138
07-08-2012, 6:00 PM
and people think I'm cray because I almost never clean my moss 500...

I am happy to see some other people on here who don't freak out when their gun isn't spotless

I don't constantly clean mine either, but I also don't shoot corrosive ammo. If for some odd reason I were to be shooting corrosive ammo, I'd be cleaning them immediately.