PDA

View Full Version : ak pistol w/perminantly folded stock???

nismobishi
05-27-2012, 9:18 PM
I searched and found some info on a ppsh pistol that had a folded stock and an atf letter of approval but has anyone determined that it is legal in general for a pistol build to have a permanently Folded stock? For example an amd pistol with the side folder mechanism welded. For example the franklyn armory ar pistol with a vertical foregrip had an atf letter so now the general concensus is that any ar pistol over 26 inch can have one. Is this along the same lines?

NorCalK9.com
05-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Thats a good question.

MrPlink
05-27-2012, 10:26 PM
AFAIK, Atf has never made a blanket decision here, and all letters are specific to a particular firearm or series (from a manufacturer) in otherwords, write to the atf yourself and get your own letter

tujungatoes
05-28-2012, 6:22 AM
AFAIK, Atf has never made a blanket decision here, and all letters are specific to a particular firearm or series (from a manufacturer) in otherwords, write to the atf yourself and get your own letter

This is my understanding as well.

nismobishi
05-28-2012, 9:34 AM
What about the franklyn armory letter for the vertical fore grip. Now everyone is making ar pistols over 26" with a vfg because that letter says its okay. Even though that is franklyns letter and not their own letter. Wouldnt that be exactly the same as making a pistol with a perm folded stock as per the letter that says the ppsh pistol is gtg with a perm folded stock?

emptybottle151
05-28-2012, 9:51 AM
:threadjacked: So can one build a AR pistol with a collapsible stock buffer tube with out the stock?

tujungatoes
05-28-2012, 10:42 AM
What about the franklyn armory letter for the vertical fore grip. Now everyone is making ar pistols over 26" with a vfg because that letter says its okay. Even though that is franklyns letter and not their own letter. Wouldnt that be exactly the same as making a pistol with a perm folded stock as per the letter that says the ppsh pistol is gtg with a perm folded stock?

The difference as I understand it is that there are established clear cut definitions on what is and is not a rifle/pistol ect. which thanks to franklin armory others can now follow.

I don't think there's exists such language for what is and is not considered a permanently folded non functional stock because there are so many different designs. Nor could I find a copy of the ppsh approval letter from I.O. inc. I believe the ATF determines that on a case by case basis.

nismobishi
05-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Makes sense now. Thanks guys. So it is a gray area until one of us gets a letter.

nismobishi
05-28-2012, 11:29 AM
I too would like to know if a standard buffer tube can be used on an ar pistol as long as no stock is attached.

RobGR
05-28-2012, 12:09 PM
I too would like to know if a standard buffer tube can be used on an ar pistol as long as no stock is attached.

Intent? I believe CA has intent to construct laws for SBR. Not a good idea from everything I've read, so don't even do it.

Be happy to know that I'm wrong though.

Jeepers
05-28-2012, 12:41 PM

last i heard you must also send in a "sample" as to how it is fixed/welded in the closed position , i am still looking for SMGGUNS ATF letter on there KP44 pistols on the welded closed stock ...

ETA its also not wise to send in for letters that already exist as ATF has a habit of reversing previous letters with new letters ....

MrPlink
05-28-2012, 1:24 PM

not worth the hassle. If you must use a carbine tube, I would at least modify it so it cannot take a stock just to CYA. On a similar chain of thought, I have used rifle extensions for pistols, and simply remove the threads on the end so no stock could be attached