PDA

View Full Version : Do most 1911s shoot the same?

lilro
05-27-2012, 9:27 PM
I've been looking at 1911's for a little while, and decided it's time I get one. The range I go to only has a kimber for rent though. And it's VERY expensive ($70!!) to put 50 rds downrange. If I decide I like it, will most other 1911's feel roughly the same?

den888
05-27-2012, 9:37 PM
I'd say no. They have different triggers (wider, slimmer), different trigger pulls, sights, mainspring housings. My Gold Cup shoots a lot more accurately than my Commander does as an example and feels different.

Thomas1190
05-27-2012, 9:38 PM
Ehh sort of. Different models will feel/grip a little differently. It all just depends on slim or standard grips, arched or flat mainspring housing, gripsafety/beavertail, front strap serrations, long or short trigger. They will shoot the same but they will all vary grip/feel wise in the hand. But the great thing about 1911s is all of those things I mentioned can be replaced or modified to suit your personal preference :D

Brandon04GT
05-27-2012, 9:59 PM
$70 to rent a Kimber with only 50 rounds?!?

And yeah I think for the most part they will all feel the same as far as the recoil and etc. But like Thomas1190 said, they will feel noticeably different in your hand based on the features.

lilro
05-27-2012, 10:12 PM
$70 to rent a Kimber with only 50 rounds?!?

And yeah I think for the most part they will all feel the same as far as the recoil and etc. But like Thomas1190 said, they will feel noticeably different in your hand based on the features.

Yeah it's ridiculous. 20 for the lane, 15 for the rental and 33! for a box of ammo. That's crazy. But I don't even know if I will like shooting .45, so I'll have to test it out at some point.

MA2
05-27-2012, 10:16 PM
In general sure, on the angle, ~1/8 length trigger pull, controls... but all have their differences as stated.

Location?
Might get some suggestions for different ranges with more variety and lower fees, or meet up with a member here...
I have a 22-conversion, 9, and 45, the 9mm is my favorite :D

lilro
05-27-2012, 10:19 PM
In general sure, on the angle, ~1/8 length trigger pull, controls... but all have their differences as stated.

Location?
Might get some suggestions for different ranges with more variety and lower fees, or meet up with a member here...
I have a 22-conversion, 9, and 45, the 9mm is my favorite :D

I'm in the East Bay. And the only range I know of even remotely close that rents firearms is Bullseye in San Rafael.

Press Check
05-27-2012, 10:21 PM
I've been looking at 1911's for a little while, and decided it's time I get one. The range I go to only has a kimber for rent though. And it's VERY expensive ($70!!) to put 50 rds downrange. If I decide I like it, will most other 1911's feel roughly the same?

In the realm of production 1911 pistols, I would say yes, for the most part. Obviously, a custom (SA Professional) or high-end production (SA TRP) feels and shoots entirely different.

KandyRedCoi
05-27-2012, 10:45 PM
yes and no

there is a difference, but imho it only makes a difference if you shoot different types and features

i personally didnt know much when i bought my kimber....then i bought the ria and then i knew why the kimber cost considerably more...http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=573166&highlight=kimber+vs+ria

1lostinspace
05-27-2012, 10:49 PM
6 out of the 8 I have shot jammed

KandyRedCoi
05-27-2012, 10:52 PM
^ u must have the worst luck...havent shot one that was a jam-o-matic and ive shot more than 8 LOL

KDTS
05-27-2012, 11:35 PM
I rented the Kimber at Bullseye and thought it was terrible. Most of their rental guns don't seem to be in good shape (tried an HK USP40 and a couple Glocks also, Glocks were fine but the HK and the Kimber were not). That being said, I was pretty inspired by some 1911 projects and ended up getting a stainless Springfield 1911 Mil Spec in a trade -- love that thing. Got it used, but it feels solid and I like it a lot. Even if you're interested, I'd say to stay away from Bullseye's rentals (unless you're checking out different Glocks, lol). Hell, I'd let you try out my SA if I happened to be at the range.

hkdad
05-28-2012, 12:48 PM
NO! glocks do though... :D

cwin
05-28-2012, 4:42 PM
I'd say yes and no. The controls and ergos will be similar but the feel and the way it shoots can vary from one 1911 to another.

enzo357
05-28-2012, 4:47 PM
Some 1911s shoot great. Some shoot better....

WWDHD?
05-28-2012, 5:22 PM
I'm in the East Bay. And the only range I know of even remotely close that rents firearms is Bullseye in San Rafael.

If your in the east bay go to TargetMasters in Milpitas during the week. Range rental is less than $10. got to use their ammo in their guns so figure about $20-$25. Gun rental should be less than $15 so a trip there should be less than $50. They have several 1911's there for rent last time I looked. Mostly Springfields, Sigs, maybe some kimbers too. Give them a call. bring a buddy with you if you go, they won't rent to singles. Good luck.

glock 357
05-28-2012, 5:34 PM
^^ I think target masters has a few 1911's for rent. This is your best bet.

Yes they all shoot the same straight and true. Do they all feel the same, NO. Single stack, Double stack, GI spec, etc.

Depending on how much you spend will depend on how smooth that trigger pulls. Kimbers are very nice out of the box I cannot complain about them.

IPSICK
05-28-2012, 5:36 PM
$70 to rent?

This is where it would help to research and then buy and try. Keep it if you like it and sell it if you don't.

Another option is trying to go to the range and then using your charm to try others' 1911s. You don't necessarily have to shoot it either. Dry firing can tell you a lot and talking to the owners can help to educate you on what to look for.

peacedivision
05-28-2012, 5:38 PM

Where in the east bay? Reeds in Santa Clara and Target Masters in Milpitas both rent.

glock 357
05-28-2012, 5:38 PM
$70 to rent?

This is where it would help to research and then buy and try. Keep it if you like it and sell it if you don't.

Sounds about right. Gun Rental + .45 ammo (from the range no personal ammo through their rentals) + 1hr range time + targets.

IPSICK
05-28-2012, 5:45 PM
Sounds about right. Gun Rental + .45 ammo (from the range no personal ammo through their rentals) + 1hr range time + targets.

I'm not arguing about the amount, I'm just advocating a buy and try strategy or schmooze and peruse.

I've tried many guns either by purchase or dry-firing or shooting other people's stuff. Gunowners are a fabulous community who have been willing to share in my experience.

drkphibr
05-28-2012, 6:03 PM
They function identically, but they do shoot differently. Does every sports car drive the same? Each manufacturer does "their thing" to their line of 1911s and that's what makes them slightly different enough to shoot differently. Sights, fittings, level of custom work, etc. That all adds up to how a specific 1911 shoots.

glock 357
05-28-2012, 6:03 PM
Dry firing wont do nothing. Every gun has a certain feel, kick, glide, how they rack it, dealing with stainless, aluminum, steel, some bullets twist left some bullets twist right or have some sort of physical reaction to it. And that decision is from the buyer on how he or she is comfortable with the overall reaction checking complete functionality. Buy then try is like a car as soon as you drive off the lot, it loses its value so why bother.

The gun comunity has shown that everyone likes everything else. Doesn't mean it will work for everyone otherwise LEO's would be outfitted with one specific service pistol. One will argue glock, the other will argue 1911, the cowboys will hail mary with the ruger six. I doubt walking up to anyone you just met will let you hold their pistol even with a nice set of tits. The buyers best bet is to try before they buy.

IPSICK
05-28-2012, 6:17 PM
Dry firing is better than nothing if you know what to look for. Other than reaction under recoil, everything you mentioned can be experienced without actual firing of the gun. And I must have a nice pair of cans or my local community is nicer than others' because I've been able to start up a conversation with complete strangers and they let me handle their 1911s very willingly.

Also, every owner will have their biases as will you. It's up to the individual to develop the proper filter that allows them to combine their knowledge/intuitions with biased information from the owners. Maybe it's been awhile since I've been so inexperienced as to not have that filter.

DannyInSoCal
05-28-2012, 6:20 PM
Dry firing wont do nothing. Every gun has a certain feel, kick, glide, how they rack it, dealing with stainless, aluminum, steel, some bullets twist left some bullets twist right or have some sort of physical reaction to it. And that decision is from the buyer on how he or she is comfortable with the overall reaction checking complete functionality. Buy then try is like a car as soon as you drive off the lot, it loses its value so why bother.

The gun comunity has shown that everyone likes everything else. Doesn't mean it will work for everyone otherwise LEO's would be outfitted with one specific service pistol. One will argue glock, the other will argue 1911, the cowboys will hail mary with the ruger six. I doubt walking up to anyone you just met will let you hold their pistol even with a nice set of tits. The buyers best bet is to try before they buy.

I disagree. Epic bewbs are very powerful...

Mr310
05-28-2012, 6:24 PM
I can feel the difference between brands and I'm a 1911 noob.

skosh69
05-28-2012, 6:27 PM
I doubt walking up to anyone you just met will let you hold their pistol ................

Not true! If a fellow shooter approaches me on the firing line to inquire about one of my 1911's, I'll hand it to them with a full mag and tell them to have at it!

Then again, I'm not a gun snob!

If you're ever at USI in Concord or at the San Leandro Rifle and Pistol range and you see a 'pino with a birthmark on his face, come say hi and I'll let you shoot any of my guns!

IPSICK
05-28-2012, 6:30 PM
Not true! If a fellow shooter approaches me on the firing line to inquire about one of my 1911's, I'll hand it to them with a full mag and tell them to have at it!

If you're ever at USI in Concord or at the San Leandro Rifle and Pistol range and you see a 'pino with a birthmark on his face, come say hi and I'll let you shoot any of my guns!

Thank you for restoring my faith in my fellow gun enthusiasts.

glock 357
05-28-2012, 6:32 PM
OK so what do we look for when dry firing a 1911 to know it's the one? I'd assume a Ria 1911 gets thrown out of the picture being a $500 1911. Inform me what to look for in a dry fire that will be the one.

USMC 82-86
05-28-2012, 6:47 PM

That is a lot to rent one. Will they let you put that toward the purchase if you decide to buy? My range does, is the only reason I ask, plus they throw in a 30 day membership. Range fee is $18 rental is $10 and the ammo for .45 is around $20-$23.

If the 1911's have a decent trigger and a decent barrel most shooters won't see any major accuracy differences at 10 yards. If you step it back to 20 plus yards you may see it begin to open up a wider margin between the two guns. I have a Colt and I shot a RIA that a guy had at the range and at 10 yards I was still able to get rounds to touch on paper with his gun that was half the money of my Colt.

IPSICK
05-28-2012, 6:49 PM
OK so what do we look for when dry firing a 1911 to know it's the one? I'd assume a Ria 1911 gets thrown out of the picture being a $500 1911. Inform the OP and me what to look for in a dry fire that will be the one.

First and foremeost I look for trigger quality. A smooth and nearly imperceptible pre-travel/takeup and then a crisp and short break can tell you volumes (Note: some 1911s have a rolling break but it is uncommon and usually found in very high end custom trigger jobs. These types of triggers are difficult to do correctly with proper reliability). Pull weight shouldn't matter much unless you're looking at greater than 5lbs. Next check for slide and barrel play. After that, pull the hammer back and pull the slide to check the tightness of tolerance and smoothness of action. Lastly, check how the gun mounts and lines up for you. This is where you have to have some idea of a proper grip. This should be the thumbs forward grip (strong hand thumb riding the thumb safety) that has been recently discussed on this forum. Check how your hands wrap around the grip and the trigger reach (Though this can be altered with thinner grips and a shorter trigger shoe). After establishing your grip, bring the gun to your chest and then push out towards the target to note how much adjustment you need to attain proper sight alignment on the target. You'll usually need some adjustment with an unfamiliar gun but this helps to identify how naturally the gun points for you (This can also be altered with practice and training but if you won't shoot it that often, the more naturally it points the better).

Btw, I don't automatically throw out the $500 RIA 1911. This all depends on the individuals preferences and tolerances. A $500 RIA could offer more than they expected and might be good enough until they become curious about higher end guns.

glock 357
05-28-2012, 7:06 PM
I knew something was wrong when I got my glock. Nice write up! Now show me your jugs :)

razr
05-28-2012, 7:07 PM
If you are an experienced shooter they don't all shoot the same. None will shoot better than you.

IPSICK
05-28-2012, 7:14 PM
I knew something was wrong when I got my glock. Nice write up! Now show me your jugs :)

Nothing wrong with Glocks, they're my modern day 1911 (Blasphemy!).

Btw, you don't want to see my A-cup man bewbs.

glock 357
05-28-2012, 7:16 PM
Heeeheeee I got DD's they aint helping

Thrashard340
05-28-2012, 7:22 PM
I have rented a Springfiled Mil-spec at Targetmasters before. I paid anywhere between $25 - $27 for a 50 round box of .45 there. If you rent, range costs add up quickly. They get you with ammo costs...if you rent their firearms, you have to use their ammo. I think this is typical no matter where you rent (correct me if I'm wrong). Before I purchased my Colt, the range visits would cost me $12 for SA Mil-spec, $25 for a 50 box of ammo. two paper targets at $1 each and range time around $13. Also, I would generally go through 100 rounds of ammo to make the trip worthwhile. So the cost of a single trip would be around $76 plus tax. I did this twice.

Now I have my own handgun, I buy Shoot 'n C's by bulk off of Amazon, and buy ammo at Walmart or Reed's by bulk. It cuts my range costs in half versus renting.

Rover
05-28-2012, 7:36 PM

Same here, all my guns are shooters, some have 2500 rounds through them, some have 25k.

If somebody wants to try my .44, try a derringer, or shoot their first 1911, it costs me about $1 in ammo and 5-10 minutes of my time. No skin off my nose, let'er rip.

1911s are funny, they're all the same, but all different. They range of good to great to "holly hell that's great". My best advice is to either find a Cal-gunner with a few to let you borrow. Or just take the plunge, I had never shot a 1911 when I bought my first Springfield, never even held one, I just wanted one, and didn't really care if it shot OK, it's a cool gun that needed to be in my safe.

I now have 2 in my safe one in prison and 3 waiting for my 30-days to be up so I can DROS them:rolleyes:

mojavered
05-28-2012, 7:48 PM

+1...I have let several shoot my guns and have shot several at the range. Everyone is there for the same reason, ask questions about what they are shooting, it peeks their interest and they are usually very willing to let you shoot it.

MaxB33
05-28-2012, 9:34 PM
No, all 1911s' are different. Although, Kimber is a decent and solid pistol. The only real problem I have heard from owners and even salesman at Big Bass Pro is that for some reason the slide and frame tend to rust very quickly, and that includes both steel and aluminum frames. One salesman said they got a brand new Kimber in and within 1 week, the frame and slide began to rust. I have a Colt, and I love mine and will always have it for both home protection as well as service gun.

lilro
05-29-2012, 12:36 AM
If your in the east bay go to TargetMasters in Milpitas during the week. Range rental is less than $10. got to use their ammo in their guns so figure about $20-$25. Gun rental should be less than $15 so a trip there should be less than $50. They have several 1911's there for rent last time I looked. Mostly Springfields, Sigs, maybe some kimbers too. Give them a call. bring a buddy with you if you go, they won't rent to singles. Good luck.

They won't rent to singles even if I bring my own firearm? But I'm in the Richmond area so the price will be about the same considering gas...Guess I'll just buy the one I like and if it turns out that I don't like shooting it, I'll decide if I want to sell/trade or just keep it.

Thanks all for the help and input.

Cyc Wid It
05-29-2012, 3:46 AM
Targetmasters rents to singles if you bring your own firearm IIRC. Reeds has higher quality 1911's to choose from though (Les Baers, etc).

dadoody
05-29-2012, 5:43 AM

where are you going?

Insight in Cerritos has multiple Kimbers to choose from:

$18 for Range
$10 for gun rental (swap out to any other gun at any time)
$15 for 50rnds .45acp

Bobby Hated
05-29-2012, 5:52 AM
kimber is the denny's of 1911 manufacturers. (rock island is mcdonalds)

i would be happy to let you shoot any of my colts and springers, but i am not in the east bay.

can someone in the east bay offer to help our fellow calgunner out and meet him at the range with a few diff't 1911's for him to try out?

over and out!

RUSSIAN
05-29-2012, 9:54 AM
Target masters will rent to you if you bring you own gun. Go during weekdays, trust me. If your willing to make the trek then I'd suggest go just a little farther and go to Reeds. Much better lanes and a safer over all place to shoot.

DArBad
05-29-2012, 10:21 AM

LOL-------guys, this man is one of the most generous I've ever known, I will vouch for his character.:)

greybeard
05-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Targetmasters rents to singles if you bring your own firearm IIRC. Reeds has higher quality 1911's to choose from though (Les Baers, etc).
The only problem with Reeds is they do not clean their rentals until it stops working. Based on shooting their rental Les Baer, I may never buy one

IPSICK
05-29-2012, 1:22 PM
kimber is the denny's of 1911 manufacturers. (rock island is mcdonalds)

i would be happy to let you shoot any of my colts and springers, but i am not in the east bay.

can someone in the east bay offer to help our fellow calgunner out and meet him at the range with a few diff't 1911's for him to try out?

over and out!

I shoot a lot of Friday days at the San Leandro Range (not likely this Friday). I am willing to offer my example, but I only own one.

lilro, PM me if you want to set something up. Hopefully someone with more examples will be willing to help out.

CSACANNONEER
05-29-2012, 1:54 PM

Dry firing tells me a lot about a gun.

MOST strangers at every range I've ever been to (and that's plenty of them) are more than happy to let people shoot their guns. In fact, sometimes I bring uuncommon guns with me JUST to share them with others.

theneko
05-29-2012, 3:28 PM
The Richmond Rod and Gun is not very expensive I think...

theneko
05-29-2012, 3:29 PM

Will do!

Cyc Wid It
05-29-2012, 5:53 PM
The only problem with Reeds is they do not clean their rentals until it stops working. Based on shooting their rental Les Baer, I may never buy one

Never rented there, but have seen the selection and it's a relatively nice indoor range. Good to know - you should give Baers another shot.

greybeard
05-29-2012, 6:12 PM
It is a nice indoor range, I shoot there all the time. I guess you could say they torture test their rentals

cannon
05-29-2012, 6:30 PM
I have two 1911 gov. models. One from 1913 and the other from 1980. While they feel similar in the hand they shoot differently.