View Full Version : 1st time range session with M&P40

05-27-2012, 7:31 PM
in my quest to find the right polymer pistol for me, i went to the range today and rented the M&P40. i didnt like it. understanding that i was using a rental that has probably been fired and cycled countless times, there was still a few things about the M&P40 that i didnt like that i'm sure newer M&P40's would share. first, i didnt like the way the grip felt. i wish the range supplied me with the different sized back straps so this i could see which back strap would suite me best... second, i didnt like the sights; bad sight picture in my opinion but i'm sure that if the sights was cleaned up a bit it would of been a better picture. and third, i didnt like the trigger. this was the biggest dislike i have of the M&P40. the pull seemed too heavy for my taste. and, something about it's travel i didnt like, also. i know all these things can be corrected or improved thru aftermarket sources...

of all the Polymer guns ive tried (XD40, Hk USP 40, M&P40), the XD40 is the best for me so far. i have yet to try the Ruger SR40 or the Sig P226 / SP2022.

05-27-2012, 9:33 PM
If you can, try and get some time on the px4 40.i love it.

I have put a few hundred rounds down on an m&p 9 and like it... But not nearly like my px4

05-27-2012, 9:48 PM
M&P's are known for a bad trigger out of the box.

Luckily, a couple YouTube videos and a beer or two later, you can perform a minor polish job and experience a huge improvement.

As for it being a rental, well yes, take that into consideration. But it can also tell you a lot about a gun as well. What if the SHTF and you can't clean your gun for a couple thousand rounds (Very unlikely) but it would be re-assuring knowing that it can go to Hell & back and ask for more.

You said you don't like the grip. Well that is very important. I would keep trying other guns first and go back to the M&P for comparison. Don't force yourself to like the gun because of looks, popularity.... etc.

Find something that feels like an extension of your hand.

Try a Beretta PX4. Most people hate Beretta triggers too (lots of travel in DA). But I absolutely love my Beretta's.

The XD40 is also a great gun. I prefer my PX4 over my XD40. But I still enjoy the XD40.

The SR40s are good guns. The build quality is OK at best. They rattle a lot. They are very loosely fitted. The majority that own them, love them.

Sig's are great guns. Expensive and can be temperamental. My P220 and I went round and round for a while. I came very close to selling it. But we finally got through first 500 rounds and learned about keeping it wet. Now is one of my carry guns and a pleasure to shoot.

Keep renting. Trust me, you will find the one. Heck, even if the M&P40 doesn't turn out to be your first choice, you might add one to your collection down the road for fun.

I am eyeing adding an M&P9 to my safe. Just to have... lol.

05-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Have you considered a glock 17 or 19?

05-27-2012, 11:44 PM
I've seen and handled the PX4 Storm at a couple of ny LGS's and i'll admit they feel great in the hand. The rotating barrel to help absorb recoil is an I interesting concept! I wish I could find one in my area to test fire... The two ranges in my area don't have them for rent, bummer. As far as the Glock, my father in law has one in the 40s&w, can't remember which one but I know its a fourth gen. And, my brother in law has quite a few if them in many different calibers and sizes. I've handled them in LGS's, of course, but I really don't like the angle of the grip. I forgot to mention I've tested it out too.

05-27-2012, 11:50 PM
I'm an M&P 40 owner. And I hated the factory trigger. And had a apex trigger job done. And am in love. 3.5 lbs of pull has helped accuracy tremendously and overall joy of use also i didn't think the sights are to bad but am also replacing them. Dude u don't like the grip? Woooooow. That's the first time i heard that complaint. It's all good tho. Interesting review.

05-28-2012, 12:08 AM
Yeah, I've heard of the apex trigger upgrade and I'm sure its a great improvement. I wish my local ranges had those for rent, or at least the Pro Series, ive heard those have better triggers too. The grip didn't feel as good as the XD's grip for me. I know the back straps can be changed to size the grip to your likings and I bet that would help me like the grip better had I had that option renting the gun...

05-28-2012, 12:50 AM
I love my m&p. The trigger aint bad at all. However I did come from a sigma :-) but even thats down to about 5lbs now.

05-28-2012, 6:28 AM
Pick your koolaid, post back when you've found your flavor!

05-28-2012, 1:36 PM
Pick your koolaid, post back when you've found your flavor!

Will do!

05-28-2012, 2:16 PM
I own an M&P 9mm and the part I like the most are the sights. Nice big white three-dots. Other than that the gun is just OK. Of the three grips supplied none are just right for me but the Medium is close enough. I consider my M&P just a Glock with a somewhat better grip.
The Xd's that I've shot just don't impress me much. I'd say if you just don't like the M&P get a Glock 19 or 17. Or even a 34. You'll get used to it and they're great guns. I was looking for a G19 when I bought my M&P in '08. Glocks were hard to come by back then! Rent or try out some others before you buy! Ruger still makes a P95. Just saying. Good luck.

05-28-2012, 3:37 PM
Oops, sorry I got off track and forgot you wanted a .40S&W chambered pistol. I'd still say the Glock 22 or 23 are hard to beat. The Beretta PX4 felt and shot good to me when I tried it but the safety lever was very stubby and hard to work easily for me. Otherwise its a very nice underrated pistol.
Again, good luck finding something you like.

05-28-2012, 8:17 PM
Ya i recently picked up an m&p and the trigger leaves very much to be desired. I have 2 glocks n definitely prefer them over the m&p but im going to pick io the aek kit and give that a go to see how they stack up.

Bug Splat
05-28-2012, 9:08 PM
Bummer dude. Some guns are just not for everyone. My brother LOVES his XD40 above all others. Does not do much for me though although its been 100% reliable. Grip and feel are not for me. Good luck finding your perfect pistol ;)

05-28-2012, 10:26 PM
yeah, right now i'm really leaning towards the XD40 but i still have a few more Polly's to test before i make my final decision. Being a 1911 guy myself doesnt make this any easier, Lol!