PDA

View Full Version : Gun Finish "friendly" holster

JOLLYROGER
05-27-2012, 3:56 PM
i know all holsters will eventually wear finish but which ones for concield carry would be the most friendly to my 1911 finish (not stainless)....looking for suggestions

BigDogatPlay
05-27-2012, 4:04 PM
A well fitted holster, with some type of suede lining. The more the gun moves in the holster, the more it will wear on the finish.

Are you looking for inside or outside the waistband carry?

JOLLYROGER
05-27-2012, 4:08 PM
inside

JOLLYROGER
05-27-2012, 4:09 PM
any brand suggestions

jlbflyboy172
05-27-2012, 4:38 PM
Tucker Gun Leather makes a IWB holster with leather backing and kydex holster and they have an option to have the kydex lined with leather. I got one for my 1911 and it is a very nice holster. It fits and wears great. I am extremely pleased with it.

NiteQwill
05-27-2012, 5:13 PM
Holster = Wear

Just be happy with it and carry proudly (discretely).

RoadKing
05-27-2012, 5:13 PM
I think tucker gun leather still makes what the above post states. If not check Garrett Industries, same exact holsters, kydex with a Leather lining. Great holsters, I have 3 of them and they were bought specifically to preserve the finish on some expensive pistols.

FourLoko
05-27-2012, 5:16 PM
easy, Galco King Tuk:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/galco-kingtuk-iwb-holster.html

BlackDrop50
05-27-2012, 5:18 PM
Use a trigger guard kydex holster for the least wear or a holster lined with suede or velvet.

Press Check
05-27-2012, 5:33 PM
Hard chrome is very resistant to holster wear.

WDE91
05-27-2012, 5:36 PM
I guess I am just wondering why you are concerned about the finish??
Carry guns are tools that see wear

just keep it oiled and practicing

Distro
05-27-2012, 6:02 PM
I guess I am just wondering why you are concerned about the finish??
Carry guns are tools that see wear

just keep it oiled and practicing

There is a difference between being "concerned" and just asking if there is something that fits the bill for carry while maybe taking longer to wear the finish. I'm sure the guy would rather carry in a steel wool lined holster that would destroy the finish than not carry at all, so he isn't concerned as simply interested.

JOLLYROGER
05-27-2012, 7:13 PM
why thank you, my thoughts exactly...

jlbflyboy172
05-27-2012, 7:52 PM
What if someone wants to carry a very expensive gun like a Wilson or a Night hawk like I do. It is worth spending an extra $15 dollars for a lined holster to try to protect the finish a bit. Yes it is a tool but it is an expensive tool.

WDE91
05-27-2012, 7:56 PM
I just cant even imagine giving a $3k 1911 to the police to put into their evidence locker
you do realize if a gun does get used it will probably be finding its way into an evidence locker
evidence lockers look at your $3k Nighthawk and a HiPoint 9mm the same...

I guess that is part of the reason I am a fan of Glocks
already ugly so holster wear is just character

but I guess if there is a holster that fits your needs then that is what matters

jlbflyboy172
05-27-2012, 8:18 PM
I would gladly sacrifice a $3000 dollar gun if it saves my life. I can always buy another. Why would anyone want to cheap out on a life saving tool? I want the best I can reasonably afford. I understand that is different for everyone. That is my choice. I have Glocks too and I love and have carried them too.

Shenaniguns
05-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Carry guns are going to have wear, regardless of finish. Suede lining eventually absorbs oil, grease, dust, dirt etc and will act closer to sand paper over time.

zfields
05-28-2012, 11:09 AM
I would gladly sacrifice a $3000 dollar gun if it saves my life. I can always buy another. Why would anyone want to cheap out on a life saving tool? I want the best I can reasonably afford. I understand that is different for everyone. That is my choice. I have Glocks too and I love and have carried them too.

You are mistaking price with reliability.

jlbflyboy172
05-28-2012, 11:22 AM
No actually I am not. I have owned several 1911s and this one is the most reliable one I have ever had. I have several hundred rounds through it without cleaning and have yet to have a misfire, jam or failure of any kind. It just so happens to cost a lot of money. Do you have to pay that much to get a reliable weapon? Absolutely not. It is my choice though.