View Full Version : Excited for my first Appleseed

05-27-2012, 3:22 PM
So in anticipation of next weekend, where I will be attending my first appleseed shoot, I am getting my stuff all squared away.

Here is my question... I know it is a run what you brung type shoot, but I still feel like I should get a couple opinions. I have a pretty tricked 10/22 with a tac sol barrel, so no irons... It wears a quite ginormous 6.5x20 scope... It has an AO that goes down to 25ft and is clear as day, but part of me feels this is just too much scope and I should buy something for the shoot. The other side of me doesn't want to invest anything more into this now $800+ .22. Not to mention having to go through the trouble of setting up a new scope and running it through the paces.

Am I just being ridiculous? I also have a sig 522 with magpul mbuis sights that I could run, but I really wanted to do it on the ruger. I will of course bring the sig as a back up, but wanted to check here first and get some opinions.

05-27-2012, 6:33 PM
You won't be the first Appleseeder to use a 6.5-20x scope. It's not ideal -- you'll have to make sure you don't "chase the shot" since you'll be able to see your old hits -- and almost surely you'll want to keep it at the lowest power the whole weekend. But it'll be fine.

For those who need or want scopes I recommend a fixed 4x or a common 3-9x variable for Appleseed, but our course of fire really is "run what you brung" and there's only a few things that really will not work.

Bring the Sig 522 as well anyway, just in case something goes wrong with your 10/22, or in case you feel like a change of pace!

05-29-2012, 5:19 PM
Good to know... so can i switch between rifles throughout the day if I get better accuracy out of one or the other?

Is anyone else from here going to the Appleseed here in Santa Barbara? I am going with my neighbor who is on here as well, but I hopped a few other cal gunners would be in attendance so I could meet a few of ya!

05-29-2012, 7:00 PM
You can but the odds are you won't get better accuracy that way. Much better to work with a single rifle until you really get the positions down, the Six Steps, etc. Sometimes switching rifles presents a distraction, particularly if it means a change of sight picture -- or adjusting the sights!

I'd suggest you plan to switch only at lunchtime, or different days, and then only if you really think the switch will make learning easier. Or if you're totally satisfied with your progress on one rifle and want to try another. Still good to have a backup, however, in case something breaks. Appleseed is a test of both shooter and equipment, as lots of us have found out.

05-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the advice!!! I am sure as you know, my ruger, with upgraded barrel, firing pin, extractor, hammer, sear, bolt handle, trigger, and a few other parts that I am surely forgetting, can be finicky sometimes... I love it, but it has had it's issues with extraction, and FTF. My Sig 522 on the other hand has been flawless with everything I can possibly throw at it, really doesn't matter if it is subsonic crap or CCI mini mags. It is however a bit TactiCool (It is the swat commando version) so I would rather use the Ruger since it is more similar to my precision rifle setup.

Thanks again, I will make sure I bring a camera and update with a range report!!!