PDA

View Full Version : DE .50AE legal status?

tenox
05-27-2012, 3:13 PM
Hi,

I'm new to the forum so hello to everyone.

I own few handguns already. For a next one I'm thinking of buying Desert Eagle in .50AE.

The other day I went in to a "reputable" gun store in Northern California. They told me that it's illegal not only to sell but also to USE DE .50AE in California. I further discussed of the DOJ requirements and that that I would like to buy .44 model and a .50AE barrel. He told me that it's possible to buy it this way, however as soon as I put .50AE barrel in a new DE this is a felony.

Can someone elaborate on this? I appreciate any info.

Thanks!
a

rromeo
05-27-2012, 3:22 PM
Wrong. The .50 Desert Eagle is legal to own and shoot. Only the .44 is on the roster, so you have to buy that then convert it or buy a .50 through a private instate sale.

tenox
05-27-2012, 3:29 PM
Wrong. The .50 Desert Eagle is legal to own and shoot. Only the .44 is on the roster, so you have to buy that then convert it or buy a .50 through a private instate sale.

And this is what I've thought and read on this very forum before. I just wanted to double check.

Thanks for answer!

rromeo
05-27-2012, 3:38 PM
.50 BMG rifles are restricted items, and some people think that anything .50 cal is included in that.

Lil Bawbee
05-27-2012, 3:45 PM
I have an israeli de in .44 mag for sale... Just saying

robcoe
05-27-2012, 4:09 PM
Hi,

I own few handguns already. For a next one I'm thinking of buying Desert Eagle in .50AE.

The other day I went in to a "reputable" gun store in Northern California. They told me that it's illegal not only to sell but also to USE DE .50AE in California. I further discussed of the DOJ requirements and that that I would like to buy .44 model and a .50AE barrel. He told me that it's possible to buy it this way, however as soon as I put .50AE barrel in a new DE this is a felony.

Thanks!
a

There are only 2 .50 cal bans in california, one is statewide on the sale of .50BMG shoulder weapons, the other is LA(city or county, I forget, probably city) has a ban on the sale of all .50 cal ammo.

Otherwise, your good to go if you can find the gun for sale, I think the .44 magum version is available on roster, and the .50 slide and barrel fit on the same frame. And yes, as long as you don't make an assault weapon or other banned weapon(see flowcharts at the top of the page) you can modify your gun however you like after you buy it.

IVC
05-27-2012, 5:46 PM
Just remember that the CA version is a slightly *different* gun from the standard version. The CA version comes with the magazine disconnect safety - you cannot drop the hammer without inserting magazine. The SSE route probably makes most sense, particularly since it's hard to get by DE44CA (recently reintroduced after a year or two of being off roster), and it's even harder to get various conversions. If you use SSE, you not only get the caliber you want, but also the finish you want.

Apocalypsenerd
05-27-2012, 7:59 PM
Not sure how practical the DE .50AE is either. What do you want a 5 pound handgun for?

mdimeo
05-27-2012, 9:02 PM
Not sure how practical the DE .50AE is either. What do you want a 5 pound handgun for?

You know how people are always excited about their dime-sized groups? With a .50AE, you can do that with just one shot :)

erik_26
05-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Hi,

First, Welcome to Calguns!

Nice. Sounds like that would be a fun gun to get.

Thanks!
a

Ok, the first rules about gun stores is, they are often very misinformed. They tend to make things up or spread rumors.

Politely ask to see documentation on their statement. Ask for the Penal Code that states the law.

If they become belligerent, time to find a new store.

You will not be able to buy a new Desert Eagle in .50AE because of the California Roster (maybe that will change in the future).

You can buy one from someone in California through a PPT. You might have a hard time finding a seller.

And you could also buy the .44 mag version and convert (as you mentioned).

Don't trust gun shops with what is legal and not. Not even all police officers are current with gun laws.

Spend some time on here and on the wiki page to learn the laws. Read them for yourself.

CrazyPhuD
05-28-2012, 12:30 AM
You can most definitely SSE a 50AE DE if that's what you want. You just need to find a better dealer to work with.

tenpercentfirearms
05-28-2012, 6:04 AM
SSEing a DE .50 as soon as you can fix the magazine into place. It has a 6" barrel and the OAL is over 10.5".

CSACANNONEER
05-28-2012, 6:12 AM
The shop doesn't sound that reputable to me. You might think about finding a new shop that is up on the laws surrounding their business. You can buy, manufacture, own, posses and shoot a .50 DE if you really want to but, I suggest doing some real research about the gun first. There are reasons that everyone isn't shooting them. They are nothing more than novelty guns that are hard to work on or clean. Look into getting a gun to shoot before getting one just to collect. Talk with those who have owned them and find out why they got rid of them.

JeremyKX
05-28-2012, 9:02 AM
I think I saw a thread somewhere in commercial section that EBR works has one or two in stock.

tenox
05-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Many thanks for all the answers. Can someone advice on what is the benefit of buying SSE in this case?

Is it just that I can order the .50AE model and not .44 + .50AE barrel and magazine, or are there any benefits?

Thanks

ke6guj
05-28-2012, 10:47 AM
IIRC, there is only one finish that is listed, so if you want something other than that, it has to be SSE'd.

tenox
05-28-2012, 10:54 AM
OK Now I understand! For some reason I've assumed .44 is available in all finishes.

So how do I go about obtaining SSE modification of what I want?

Is there a FAQ / procedure? Should I go to someone like DAS?

Many many thanks again!

IVC
05-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Again, DE44CA is internally different than DE44 - it's not just the finish and it's not just the caliber. DE44CA has additional parts inside.

As for SSE, as TenPercentFirearms pointed out, all you need is a magazine block since the barrel length and the overall length minima are already met. However, you still need an FFL who will do it before DROS-ing it to you. Also, you need a "special" 07-FFL to make the conversion, which can then be transferred to you by any *willing* FFL.

If you find a local *07-FFL* who *already has the conversion parts*, the process can be as simple as you walking into the store, having them order DE for you, paying for it, waiting until it's available, going back to the store to do the DROS (FFL receives it and modifies it), ten days later going back to the store for pickup, wait 5 minutes until FFL removes the magazine block, you walk out with a fully functional DE.

If you don't have a local 07-FFL, the process can involve up to three *willing* FFL-s. First, you purchase a DE from an out of state regular FFL who is willing to ship it to a different out of state 07-FFL who has the conversion parts (one great guy is Ryan Wooton at Table Rock Arms in OR), then the second FFL converts it to an SSE (adds the magazine block) and ships it to the third, *regular* FFL who is local to you and willing to accept an already-configured SSE and transfer it to you. You finish your transfer with the third FFL, receive your *converted* pistol, go home, remove parts, and send them back to the second FFL who performed the conversion and is technically loaning you the parts. Note that all three FFL-s must know exactly what you are doing and must be willing to do it. The only one who has to be a 07-FFL is the second one who is modifying the pistol (technically a manufacture). It's all legal, but some/many FFL-s will not want to play ball. If you go to Table Rock Arms, Ryan can most likely order the DE from his suppliers, so all you have to do is find a local FFL willing to accept the SSE. I am in Southern CA so I cannot help you with a suggestion there.

And, don't listen to DE-bashers. It *is* a novelty gun, but that doesn't make it any less fun. As long as you know it's not a home defense, concealed carry, plinking, hunting, etc. gun, you'll have a blast. Literally.

BTW, I got mine through the following: Impact Guns -> Table Rock Arms -> OC Armory. It took a while due to all the shipping and it added some cost, but it went without a hiccup.

CrazyPhuD
05-28-2012, 1:56 PM
As long as you know it's not a home defense, concealed carry, plinking, hunting, etc. gun, you'll have a blast. Literally.

Wait...why wouldn't you put your DE on your CCW permit?:confused:

IVC
05-28-2012, 2:18 PM
Wait...why wouldn't you put your DE on your CCW permit?:confused:

It's a joke, right?

EBR Works
05-28-2012, 3:20 PM
We have one brushed chrome .50 AE gun in stock. Sold via SSE. We can order any other finish as well.

CrazyPhuD
05-28-2012, 4:49 PM
It's a joke, right?

:D You just have to carry it with a shirt that says....'No this isn't a Desert Eagle in my pocket I'm just happy to see you'.

lear60man
05-28-2012, 9:31 PM
Fantastic handgun. Dont let the naysayers discourage you. It's not the do all self defense handgun but is a hoot to shoot. BTW it breaks down for cleaning in seconds.

dfletcher
05-29-2012, 2:05 PM
FWIW San Francisco has a ban on "50 caliber" handguns. They don't define "50 caliber" and I've no idea if it applies to possession, purchase or something else but the ordinance exists.

tenox
05-29-2012, 6:31 PM
Again, DE44CA is internally different than DE44 - it's not just the finish and it's not just the caliber. DE44CA has additional parts inside.

As for SSE, as TenPercentFirearms pointed out, all you need is a magazine block since the barrel length and the overall length minima are already met. However, you still need an FFL who will do it before DROS-ing it to you. Also, you need a "special" 07-FFL to make the conversion, which can then be transferred to you by any *willing* FFL.

If you find a local *07-FFL* who *already has the conversion parts*, the process can be as simple as you walking into the store, having them order DE for you, paying for it, waiting until it's available, going back to the store to do the DROS (FFL receives it and modifies it), ten days later going back to the store for pickup, wait 5 minutes until FFL removes the magazine block, you walk out with a fully functional DE.

If you don't have a local 07-FFL, the process can involve up to three *willing* FFL-s. First, you purchase a DE from an out of state regular FFL who is willing to ship it to a different out of state 07-FFL who has the conversion parts (one great guy is Ryan Wooton at Table Rock Arms in OR), then the second FFL converts it to an SSE (adds the magazine block) and ships it to the third, *regular* FFL who is local to you and willing to accept an already-configured SSE and transfer it to you. You finish your transfer with the third FFL, receive your *converted* pistol, go home, remove parts, and send them back to the second FFL who performed the conversion and is technically loaning you the parts. Note that all three FFL-s must know exactly what you are doing and must be willing to do it. The only one who has to be a 07-FFL is the second one who is modifying the pistol (technically a manufacture). It's all legal, but some/many FFL-s will not want to play ball. If you go to Table Rock Arms, Ryan can most likely order the DE from his suppliers, so all you have to do is find a local FFL willing to accept the SSE. I am in Southern CA so I cannot help you with a suggestion there.

And, don't listen to DE-bashers. It *is* a novelty gun, but that doesn't make it any less fun. As long as you know it's not a home defense, concealed carry, plinking, hunting, etc. gun, you'll have a blast. Literally.

BTW, I got mine through the following: Impact Guns -> Table Rock Arms -> OC Armory. It took a while due to all the shipping and it added some cost, but it went without a hiccup.

Many thanks for such comprehensive response. Now I know what to look for!

tenox
05-29-2012, 6:33 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses. Now I will definitely try to source SSE DE .50AE in the finish I want.

Josh3239
05-29-2012, 6:44 PM
Any chance you can tell us which store? This is how we make their stores better.

LOW2000
05-29-2012, 7:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses. Now I will definitely try to source SSE DE .50AE in the finish I want.

Contact EBR Works who has already posted in this thread and he will get you the pistol you want, and who also already knows the ins and outs of a quick and easy transfer.

tenox
05-31-2012, 1:40 PM
Any chance you can tell us which store? This is how we make their stores better.

Sure it's: http://www.bayareagunvault.com/

tenox
05-31-2012, 1:43 PM
So thanks to your advice I have talked to EBR Works and put an downpayment on SSE DE50 in the finish I want. Then I returned to the same gun store and asked if EBR Works can transfer the SSE modified DE50 to me through them.

The store owner told me NO because DOJ is going after SSE modifications on guns that have been clearly not intended to be single shot and is punishing the gun dealers who sell them and actually confiscating SSE modified guns from their owners.

Whats your take on it?

GUNNTZ
05-31-2012, 1:50 PM
Sounds like this shop is just full of excuses. They seem to be extra cautious, which is their right. DOJ going after SSE's would be news to me. Might be a question to pose to EBR.

curtisfong
05-31-2012, 2:15 PM
The store owner told me NO because DOJ is going after SSE modifications on guns that have been clearly not intended to be single shot and is punishing the gun dealers who sell them

Please post this store owner's name so we know who to avoid.

Why give this guy a penny? Find somebody who has a clue instead.

actually confiscating SSE modified guns from their owners.

Uh. right.

wireless
05-31-2012, 2:41 PM
Why would you want a DE in .50AE? I'd rather have 10 rounds of 44mag vs 6 rounds of .50ae in my magazine.

IVC
05-31-2012, 2:44 PM
So thanks to your advice I have talked to EBR Works and put an downpayment on SSE DE50 in the finish I want.

Good for you. I'm sure you'll like it.

Then I returned to the same gun store and asked if EBR Works can transfer the SSE modified DE50 to me through them.

The store owner told me NO because DOJ is going after SSE modifications on guns that have been clearly not intended to be single shot and is punishing the gun dealers who sell them and actually confiscating SSE modified guns from their owners.

As I mentioned in the long post, the last FFL in the SSE chain has to want to play ball. There is no problem in him refusing to do the transfer - that's his right. My local FFL-s won't do it either, so I have to drive. However, outright lying about the reasons is less than acceptable; legal, but less than acceptable. Saying "I don't want to do it" - good. Saying "It's illegal and DOJ will come after you if you do business with someone else" - bad.

There is no such thing as "not intended to be a single shot" or "confiscating SSE guns." The law is clear on the requirements. The requirements are met and until the law is changed, this is legal. If the legislators didn't want SSE, they could've left it out. After all, it's an explicit exclusion. I'm sure that clown Yee will try to limit it at some point, but until then you are good to go.

IVC
05-31-2012, 2:52 PM
Just checked the web site for Bay Area Gun Vault. What a bunch of hypocrites. They sell "CA-legal AR-s" which use a bullet button, yet complain about the SSE.

Guess the money to be lost on not selling AR-s is too much to stick to their principles of reading the mind and conforming to the wishes of the legislators...

dantodd
05-31-2012, 3:08 PM
This is really unfortunate. Hopefully someone from CA-FFL or CGF can reach out to them. I seem to remember that they were the beneficiary of some efforts on the part of CGF when they first opened.

joefrank64k
05-31-2012, 3:09 PM
+ 100 on EBR and the SSE route. Just picked up my beautiful black Desert Eagle in 50AE from Michael at EBR and it was one of the fastest and smoothest gun transactions I've ever had!

As other's have said, the DE44CA has added internals to make the roster. I was going to go that route, then buy a 50AE barrel, but it was MUCH cheaper to simply SSE the 50AE and now I have the exact gun I wanted!

Of course, I ended up getting a 44 barrel anyway to fill the space in the DE hard case! :)

joefrank64k
05-31-2012, 3:12 PM
Why would you want a DE in .50AE? I'd rather have 10 rounds of 44mag vs 6 rounds of .50ae in my magazine.

I thought it was 8 rounds of 44 Mag vs. 7 rounds of 50AE...

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Desert-Eagle-Magazines/Desert-Eagle-Magazines.asp

At least that's what my DE 44 and 50 mags hold...

Turo
05-31-2012, 3:15 PM

Good luck getting 10 rounds in the stock 8 round .44mag magazine. And if you're only getting 6 rounds in the .50ae magazine, you're doing something wrong.