PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Upper - Standard vs Billet vs Vltor MUR

ExtremeX
05-27-2012, 2:23 PM
Looking to buy a new upper... Ive always used the standard uppers but wanted to get something a little different.

Primarily looking at the Vltor MUR units. Are these worth the additional cost? Any performance gain to be had is it is really just cosmetic?

They seems to be build to a tighter tolerance but it could just be good marking, so im asking here.

http://www.vltor.com/images/mur/mur1-Lg.jpg
http://www.vltor.com/images/mur/mur5-Lg.jpg

FourLoko
05-27-2012, 3:47 PM
looks

Dreaded Claymore
05-27-2012, 3:49 PM
The upper or lower receiver of an AR-15 isn't going to bend too much under any circumstances, as far as I know, so there's not a lot of call for a stronger one. Mostly, they just look shiny.

The only reason I can think of to get one is if you wanted a case deflector but didn't want a forward assist. It's possible to configure a MUR that way.

ExtremeX
05-27-2012, 3:56 PM
Thats cool, I like the way it looks, so I picked one up... seems to be built pretty well too.

Its is going on one of those buy once cry once builds... figure I might as well just start crying.

Burnit7
05-27-2012, 4:07 PM
Another positive attribute to notice is the fact that the forward assist is located closer to the dust cover, allowing easier access of an ambidextrous charging handle if you had one.

Concerning detriments, all I think can think would be:
1) If I remember correctly, the receiver isn't T marked. Not a big deal, but allows easier installation of optics if you change them around a lot.

2) Mostly cosmetic but very important if you plan to use different calibers, it's more difficult to change the ejection port as you'll have to remove the forward assist. Which is easy to mess up and Vltor will not help you at all if you do. There are some people that have successfully have done it, but there isn't a detailed guide for it out, and it is at your own discretion.

Despite that, I think it's a pretty awesome looking upper but the value of that is up to you.

ExtremeX
05-27-2012, 4:23 PM
Burnit,

Thanks for the heads up, this is going on my RECCE build, so ill be using 5.56. I have a few uppers laying around but ive never tried the Vltor stuff.

This entire build is pretty custom, including the barrel profile which is being turned for me as we speak. Its then being sent off to a good shop to get melonite treatment.

Burnit7
05-27-2012, 4:32 PM
Burnit,

Thanks for the heads up, this is going on my RECCE build, so ill be using 5.56. I have a few uppers laying around but ive never tried the Vltor stuff.

This entire build is pretty custom, including the barrel profile which is being turned for me as we speak. Its then being sent off to a good shop to get melonite treatment.

Right on! Sounds like you're going for a real beauty.:63:

Looking forward to seeing pics of your rifle when it's done!:thumbsup:

dougolupski
05-27-2012, 5:37 PM
I have that one, its really nice. But I think the combination of the whole of all my parts made the difference.
Voltor Mur-1
18" Daniel Defense Cold Forged Barrel
12" Daniel Defense modular float rail
Sure fire muzzle brake
Rifle Gear BCG
EoTech EPS 2

Damn thing is ubber accurate. So much so I sold my other AR-15.