PDA

View Full Version : Sig 1911 Problems

CBRKURT
05-27-2012, 12:54 PM
I sold my bother in law my Railed Sig 1911 before I got to shoot. I had changed out the guide rod to a full length guide rod. He is running Chip McCormick Power Mags in the gun. When he puts a full mag in the gun and releases the slide it doesn't go into battery. The slide shuts but not all the way. Sometimes when he shoots it the slide does the same this loading another round in. I was thinking he was limp wristing it but if it does the same thing before he shoots I don't know if that's the cause. I cannot work on the gun due to my current situation. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

swifty
05-27-2012, 1:10 PM
Could be ammo that is too large in diameter, field strip and drop the cartridges into the chamber. They should be flush or slightly below flush with the end of the barrel.

The extractor may need adjusted.

FLAWLS1
05-27-2012, 1:10 PM
I had those exact problems yesterday with my Scorpion 1911. It was my first time shooting it and It's also brand new.

gotshotgun?
05-27-2012, 1:12 PM
It could just need a little break in before the bugs go away. Maybe more lube also. I'd shoot 200 rounds through it to see if it smooths out.

CBRKURT
05-27-2012, 1:13 PM
Could be ammo that is too large in diameter, field strip and drop the cartridges into the chamber. They should be flush or slightly below flush with the end of the barrel.

It doesn't have problems extracting the ammo. Just loading a new round in. It doesn't happen all the time either. If he releases the slide lock it doesn't go into full battery but if he releases by hand it will.

ExtremeX
05-27-2012, 1:14 PM
What type of ammo?

PandaLuv
05-27-2012, 1:14 PM
CMCs are garbage, and sig 1911s are kinda picky with mags. Tell it him to run it with factory mags or Wilson combat. Works good for me.

CBRKURT
05-27-2012, 1:22 PM
What type of ammo?

Reloads.

CBRKURT
05-27-2012, 1:27 PM
What type of ammo?

Reloads.

pdq_wizzard
05-27-2012, 1:34 PM
Reloads.

Maybe needs a taper crimp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

ExtremeX
05-27-2012, 1:47 PM
Try a box of factory ammo, I bet your problems go away.

I just got one too, Im breaking it in with factory Federal ammo... No problems

jimmythebrain
05-27-2012, 2:05 PM
I have two Sig 1911's. The railed one ran fine. The non-railed one had a two part problem...
1. The factory recoil spring was a lot lighter than 18 pounds. The original Sig GSR used a Wolff 18 pound recoil spring, I do not know if the slide is heavier than a standard 1911 5" slide. I purchased a Wolff 17.5 lb progressive spring to replace this...and...
2. The Wilson 47D magazine had a weak magazine spring.

With the change to the Wolff recoil spring and using a Tripp CobraMag the feed issues have resolved.

Try using some factory 230 gr FMJ round nose 45 ACP loaded ammo. Cartridge overall length and bullet profile have a lot to do with feeding. Also when the slide shoots forward with more force when slingshot released (pulled back and released) then when using the slide stop release/hold open lever. Sling shot the first round out of the magazine and use factory ammo for the first 250 to 300 round. Sometimes guns break in. Sometimes it is a geometry issue with the barrel, and barrel linkage dimensions. If it is a barrel or barrel link issue, it will need to go back to Sig.

There is an interesting article about magazine differences on the internet at (http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/gross-anatomy.html). They assert that the Metalform and Wilson magazines hold the bullets higher and straight shot the bullet into the chamber. This helps eliminate the 3 point jam issues. They also assert that Wilson magazines may cause feed issues if the gun is held sideways or upside down. This may be important if you need to shoot "gansta style". I have no confirmation of these assertions.

railroader
05-27-2012, 2:17 PM
CMCs are garbage, and sig 1911s are kinda picky with mags. Tell it him to run it with factory mags or Wilson combat. Works good for me.

About the CMC mags are garbage. Where did you get this info? Is this first hand or something you got off the internet. I've been running them for about 15 years and I have seen lots of other people running them too.

tdyoung1958
05-27-2012, 2:18 PM
Reloads.

Not a mag issue, I shoot 200g reloads all the time in mine. He just needs to use a 4 die set and resize them once loaded and they will work fine. He'll also need to resize OEM ammo that isn't resized afterwards (hornaday for one)

Sigs just have tighter tolerance

Low-Pressure
05-27-2012, 2:26 PM
About the CMC mags are garbage. Where did you get this info? Is this first hand or something you got off the internet. I've been running them for about 15 years and I have seen lots of other people running them too.

^^^ I have to agree with this one!^^^

It might be the reloads, as stated try some factory ammo. Is the handgun new/ broken-in? If new might just need a few hundred more rounds down the pipe.

sirgrumps
05-27-2012, 2:33 PM

I have been running CMC mags when they were shooting start, about 4 yearsnow.

They are not the problem.

Most likely, bad (out of spec) ammo

nick
05-27-2012, 2:38 PM

Sounds like either bad personal experience with gun/mag combination, or Internet lore (haven't heard that one before though).

I have 4 kinds of mags: CMC, Dan Wesson, Wilson Combat 47D, and USGI (Colt, and some others). CMC and Dan Wesson run without issues in all of my 1911s, from Dan Wessons to the Llama I have that refuses to work with its original mags, but runs fine with CMC and Dan Wesson ones. WC had weak mag springs, so they didn't push the slide catch high enough up. The slide would still get locked back, but just barely (and not always). Upgraded the springs, they work fine now. USGI... Well, I got them because they were cheap :)

CBRKURT
05-27-2012, 3:44 PM
^^^ I have to agree with this one!^^^

It might be the reloads, as stated try some factory ammo. Is the handgun new/ broken-in? If new might just need a few hundred more rounds down the pipe.

The gun was brand spankin new when I sold it to my brother in law. So maybe it does just need a couple hundred more rounds.

Sac-AR15
05-27-2012, 4:20 PM
I have a Sig Scorpion. Never had an issue at all with the mags it came with. Plus most of the time I've been shooting my own reloads. No FTE or FTF. And I'm also new to reloading. But when I do reload I double check everything and make sure it drops in my barrel fine. My buddy used his CMC with my Scorpion with no issues. Sounds like the reloads you were using. Like the others have advised, use factory ammo and see what happens. Hope it all works out for ya.

Ryanorielly
05-27-2012, 4:23 PM
I have a Sig Scorpion. Never had an issue at all with the mags it came with. Plus most of the time I've been shooting my own reloads. No FTE or FTF. And I'm also new to reloading. But when I do reload I double check everything and make sure it drops in my barrel fine. My buddy used his CMC with my Scorpion with no issues. Sounds like the reloads you were using. Like the others have advised, use factory ammo and see what happens. Hope it all works out for ya.

I have a carry scorpion as well and I agree with this.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

railroader
05-27-2012, 4:49 PM
CBRKURT, try factory ammo. On the reloads if you are making them I run my finished 45acp through a Lee factory crimp die. This die irons out the cases so they drop right in. Also what type of bullet are you running and what is the overall length? It makes a difference.
I just bought a sig xo 1911 yesterday so I guess I will find out how my reloads work in about 2 weeks.

swifty
05-27-2012, 4:56 PM

It doesn't have problems extracting the ammo. Just loading a new round in. It doesn't happen all the time either. If he releases the slide lock it doesn't go into full battery but if he releases by hand it will.

The extractor is pushed sideways by the case rim as it slides up the face of the slide. If the extractor tension is too tight then energy is wasted trying to move the extractor instead of closing the slide.

When the slide is released by hand, the slide is usually pulled farther to the rear, when compared to using the slide stop. When the slide is pulled farther to the rear, the recoil spring is compressed for even more power, and the slide has a running start before it meets resistance of the cartridge in the magazine.

PandaLuv
05-27-2012, 5:00 PM
My 1911 was very picky with CMC, although they were 10 rounders. The follower would ride on the slide on the empty mag and would cause my gun to miss fire. Well rather it would make my trigger pull very hard. Also, when I dropped the magazine, it broke in pieces.

So like someone said, I think it's all three factors, gun, mags and ammo.

PandaLuv
05-27-2012, 5:10 PM
In my defense, I am a lot better now at shooting.
Watch both videos, the second one I explain more what's going on.*
a97ETKZOfHw
PLR5L1ljjYY