PDA

View Full Version : Should I Sell, Trade or Keep?

OriginalDuplicate
05-27-2012, 8:42 AM
I currently have an XD .40. I find that every time I go out and shoot it I find something else I don't like about it. My wife just went out and shot her M&P 9mm last week and loves it. I do too, I find the M&P much more comfortable to shoot. I'm tempted to get rid of my XD and find myself an M&P.

SELL: Should I sell my XD .40? I have never sold any of my guns before so I'm not sure how I come up with a price or selling point. It's an OD XD .40 MAYBE 500 rounds through it. I have an extra mag, 3 in total. Right now, I don't have the holster, mag loader and mag holder that came with it but I'm sure I can find them.

TRADE: Would an XD .40 be an even trade for a 9mm M&P? It's the only .40 I have so I could trade it with all my .40 ammo to help out any difference.

KEEP: My XD was my first handgun purchase. It has a little sentimental value to it, but not too much. I like the idea of a large gun collection and have kept all the firearms handed down from my grandfather and father. Should I just keep it for sh*ts and giggles and just buy an M&P?

Any and All advice is welcome.

Ubermcoupe
05-27-2012, 8:48 AM
Find the accessories and sell it as a package or since you like the MP, put out a WTT (Want to Trade) for an MP and maybe you’ll get lucky. :o
Why keep something you don't like?
Best of luck

X231
05-27-2012, 8:55 AM
If it was mine I'd dump it.. in fact I'm doing that very thing this week with a Glock 19. Many love the Glock 19 and I've tried to but it's just not there for me. Like you every time I shoot it I find something else about it that I don't like. It may be a great gun but it's not for me. If you like the M&P by all means get one.
I think it may be a simpler process to sell the XD and buy a M&P. Do some research to find out what both guns are worth and decide what kind of deal you'd be comfortable with and list it here and see what happens.

Oldnoob
05-27-2012, 8:58 AM
Keep or trade. Never sell.

Fishslayer
05-27-2012, 9:01 AM
Why keep something you don't like?
Best of luck

I always was a "KEEP IT!" kind of guy, but recently just couldn't warm up to an old FEG Mauser that I bought on impulse. Put it on consignment & got something I wanted.

XDs are very popular. I'd lurk on the WTS/WTT board & find somebody that had what I wanted & try to work a trade.

PandaLuv
05-27-2012, 9:01 AM
I would trade the XD40 for xd9, I have a feeling it's not the gun that you don't like, it's more the caliber. To me, I don't like either the XD nor th m&p, but I do like the trigger on XDs way more, but m&p have better grip since they are angle more like 1911s.

Try to shooting xD9, and see if you like it, if not, get the m&p9.

cmace22
05-27-2012, 9:06 AM
I sell everything I dont like. I had an XD and it got sold. Post a WTT/WTS ad and see what happens.

OneShotJohnny
05-27-2012, 9:06 AM
I too hate the xd i had a 9mm, sold the sucker bought a glock 17 3rd gen couldnt be happier.

bsg
05-27-2012, 9:12 AM
sentimentality aside, guns that i regretted selling the most... were guns that i liked when i sold them.

Lead Waster
05-27-2012, 9:23 AM
Ask your wife if she will trade with you! LOL!

But no real reason to keep a gun you don't like. The only gun I have like that is my Gen2 Glock 21. It's grip is too big, but since i've last shot it, I've learned a few things about grip and stance and etc, etc, etc, so I'll give it another chance. Maybe your XD-40 is like that!

smittty
05-27-2012, 9:28 AM
That color XD is pretty nice looking. I don't think you'll have any trouble selling it.

It sort of makes sense that you and your wife have guns that accept the same mags.

cebuvfr
05-27-2012, 11:08 AM
I'd trade it to one that I like.

Scandivious
05-27-2012, 11:20 AM
See if you can trade first. If not sell it.

johnthomas
05-27-2012, 11:35 AM
This goes to prove a philosophy my dad taught me. If we all liked the same thing, we would all be trying to marry the same woman, what a mess that would be, lol.
I agree that if you don't like your gun, put it up for trade, don't buy anything else for the gun, if it isn't a fair trade, add a few bucks and let the new owner buy what they want.

toby77
05-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Why keep anything you have no use for, try to trade it first. Maybe after you just don't like the caliber.

Arkangel
05-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Try for a trade, if not sell it and get the M&P you want.

Sanderhawk
05-27-2012, 12:32 PM
I love my XD40 but if your more comfortable with a smaller caliber sell or trade it for something your comfortable with. You can`t have fun with something you don`t like :)

Rover
05-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Is $450 going to be a financial burden on you? If not, I say keep the XD and buy the M&P.

There's no harm in owning a few extra guns and if you're like me and enjoy taking newbies shooting, it's nice to have a variety so they can find something they're comfortable with. You also may find a trade down the road that works out hugely in your favor. I did that with my last AR, I thought it was a boring gun, and was tempted to sell it, would have gotten maybe $600 as it was a little beat-up and a cheap AR to begin with, instead I traded it for a pristine S&W 629, and a couple hundred rounds of .44 Mag. I never would have thought to ask for a trade like that in a WTT ad.

My night-stand gun is an XD9, and I recently bought an M&P 9c, and I think a full size M&P is in my future too. They really are great guns, the only thing I don't like is how they field strip. The XD and my 1911s are so much simpler to strip.The mag disconnect also bothers me for some reason.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
05-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Well it XD is a POS :)

Squidward
05-27-2012, 12:56 PM
If you don't like it, you won't train with it. If you don't train you'll have no proficiency or confidence with it. That is always worse than loosing a couple of bucks. As far as sell v. trade, throw it up on the market place as an either/or and see what happens.

cmace22
05-27-2012, 4:49 PM
They really are great guns, the only thing I don't like is how they field strip. The XD and my 1911s are so much simpler to strip.The mag disconnect also bothers me for some reason.

The sear disconnecter does not need to be used to field strip and the mag safety can be removed if you dont like it. I sold my XD because I didnt like it. I sold my M&P because it didnt do anything better than my Glock. I dont miss the XD but Im buying another M&P.

IBJanky
05-27-2012, 5:26 PM
Sell it and get what you want.

myke

cwin
05-27-2012, 8:03 PM
I say sell it if it's not right for you.

asm777
05-27-2012, 8:18 PM
KEEP: My XD was my first handgun purchase. It has a little sentimental value to it, but not too much. I like the idea of a large gun collection and have kept all the firearms handed down from my grandfather and father. Should I just keep it for sh*ts and giggles and just buy an M&P?

Based on the above, sounds like you can afford to keep it AND just buy an M&P.

That said, I'd still say sell it. My first gun was a Glock 23 in .40 and it's the first and only gun that I've sold here on Calguns. As other posters have mentioned, everyone has different preferences and Glocks and I just didn't get along.

No regrets selling it and I've since added a bunch of 1911s that I *do* like.

So, just get the M&P and use the money from selling the XD to buy ANOTHER gun that you *like*!

dkthree
05-27-2012, 8:40 PM
Put it up wts/wtt and see what offers you get.

I sold my first (Sig P220, good gun but not what I wanted) and have no regrets.

Allentu
05-27-2012, 9:32 PM
i went through many different guns before before i found a platform and trigger type that i liked. Researching can be very expensive to say the least. What i also learned is that what you may rent at a range isn't always a fair comparison because they are often abused and probably not running %100 as if you shot a good condition firearm

ICONIC
05-28-2012, 11:11 AM
I say trade. If you like the M&P, then trade the XD. Life is too short to keep a gun you don't like. Worst case scenario, if you regret your decision you can buy a new or used XD relatively cheap, they are not rare or hard to find.