PDA

View Full Version : S&W 686 SSR shootng low.

Terryg8
05-27-2012, 8:24 AM
I purchased a new Smith and Wesson 686 SSR a few months back. I have shot it only 4 times and may have 150 rounds through it. The gun is really awesome in every way except no one can hit a damn thing with it. I am not the world’s best shot but 2 of my friend are pretty good. It shoots 4” low and right down the middle with the rear sight screwed to the middle. This is true not just for me but for everyone who has fired it. All attempts to adjust the sights have failed. At one point, we adjusted the sights to the point that the screw disengaged. It still shot 2” low at 25 feet!

I have used a laser bore sighter in it. I did this with my Rossi .357 and this cheap revolver is very accurate. I cannot even get the red dot into the sight picture with any adjustment on the sights on the 686. All the way up, the red dot remains well below the sight picture.

I then visited my local gun smith. I was going to have him just change out the sights. He said the entire sight might have been installed incorrectly (wrong sight) or I may have other issues. He asked that I bench rest the gun at 25 feet and bring him the target. I finally had time this weekend to do it. It shot almost exactly 4” low with a 1” group at 25 feet!

Does anyone have an opinion as to what the heck is wrong here? Is it possible that S & W could have installed an incorrect sight in their Performance Center? The gun is still under warrantee. I have heard that they are just terrible and will most likely tell me the gun is fine without doing any work. Is this true?

kendog4570
05-27-2012, 9:22 AM
What bullet weight are you shooting? A heavier/slower bullet will strike quite a bit higher. Thats the first place I would look.
If you bought it new, S&W has an excellent warranty and will take care of it. All you have to do is initiate a service request on their website, and they will take care of the rest, including shipping.

Terryg8
05-27-2012, 11:13 AM
The 686 is doing about the same thing with everything I have run through it. This includes .38 Sp, .38 SP Plus P and even .357. I do not think it is the ammo.

It is good to hear good things about the S & W customer service. I have already filled out the return request and submitted it. Can I just send the gun back to them directly or does it need to go through a FFL?

kendog4570
05-27-2012, 12:09 PM
When they respond they will send instuctions and also an electronic shipping label that you print out and attach to the package, and take to Fed Ex. You can send your gun to a repair facility and receive it back without an FFL.
Sending to the Mfg. is the correct way to get this taken care of. It isn't the seller or gunshops responsibility to handle repairs. Most Mfgs these days make it very easy to return a gun for service.

Terryg8
07-08-2012, 7:59 PM
Good news, problem solved. The 686 SSR Pro came from the S & W shop with the WRONG SIGHT BLADE! There is no doubt about it. I ordered the standard sight blade replacement for the 686. It took S & S Wesson about 3 months to send it to me. I had the .190 blade installed by my local gunsmith. I was able to laser site the gun and after 3 weeks took it out for a run. Perfect! I love the gun now. Super accurate!

kcstott
07-08-2012, 8:43 PM
I was going to suggest your front sight was to tall.

bruceflinch
07-09-2012, 7:24 AM
Nice!

WARDOG
07-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Something to remember in the future, especially in custom guns.
They come with a high front site on purpose. You are supposed to grind, or have ground, the blade down to your preference for cartridge and distance shooting.