PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about background checks

Termless
05-27-2012, 1:35 AM
What am about to say is really dumb. And hope you guys can answer my question. Ok so I went to a counselor like 2 years ago. (for advice about my family problems and NOT suicidal or NOT harming anyone at all!) and I only went twice first was to find the right counselor. Then the 2nd time was with a counselor. And after that that was the last time I went. Can you still pass a background check? Even thou I'm not trying to hurt me or anyone at all. Again I know this is a really really dumb question I am asking here.

RickD427
05-27-2012, 1:42 AM
What type of Background Check are you concerned about?

If it's a LEO employment, or CCW application, they type of counseling that you described isn't an issue.

Your investigator may want to speak to the concerned family members to verify that there were no issues of violence, threat, or instability. For a LEO employment background, they're going to do that anyway.

Termless
05-27-2012, 1:47 AM
What type of Background Check are you concerned about?

If it's a LEO employment, or CCW application, they type of counseling that you described isn't an issue.

Your investigator may want to speak to the concerned family members to verify that there were no issues of violence, threat, or instability. For a LEO employment background, they're going to do that anyway.

Oh I order my 2nd handgun today. And wanted to know if i am able to pass the background check.

GOEX FFF
05-27-2012, 1:57 AM
You can fill out a PFEC (Personal Firearms Eligibility Check) http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/pfecapp.pdf form and send it back to the CA DOJ then await their response. Then you will know before you purchase your pistol.

This way you won't lose the DROS fee if you don't pass during the 10 day ban/waiting period/BGC.

Termless
05-27-2012, 2:00 AM
You can fill out a PFEC (Personal Firearms Eligibility Check) http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/pfecapp.pdf form and send it back to the CA DOJ then await their response. Then you will know before you purchase your pistol.

This way you won't lose the DROS fee if you don't pass during the 10 day ban/waiting period/BGC.

I think its to late cause I order the gun already. And paid in full. What do I do now?

Brianguy
05-27-2012, 2:10 AM
Unless you were committed to facility for observation I doubt you have anything to worry about. Theres no need to tell anyone about this anyway. Admit nothing.

Termless
05-27-2012, 2:14 AM
Unless you were committed to facility for observation I doubt you have anything to worry about. Theres no need to tell anyone about this anyway. Admit nothing.

No nothing like that. Was just asking them about family problems thats all. And thanks for the tip.

johnthomas
05-27-2012, 2:19 AM
Current law only prohibits gun possession by people who have been “adjudicated as a mental defective” or “committed to any mental institution.” Current BATFE regulations specifically exclude commitments for observation and voluntary commitments. Records of voluntary treatment also would not be available under federal and state health privacy laws.
Similarly, voluntary drug or alcohol treatment would not be reported to NICS. First, voluntary treatment is not a “commitment.” Second, current federal law on gun possession by drug users, as applied in BATFE regulations, only prohibits gun ownership by those whose “unlawful [drug] use has occurred recently enough to indicate that the individual is actively engaged in such conduct.”
In short, neither current law nor this legislation would affect those who voluntarily get psychological help. No person who needs help for a mental health or substance abuse problem should be deterred from seeking that help due to fear of losing Second Amendment rights.

GOEX FFF
05-27-2012, 2:20 AM
Agreed, I think you have nothing to worry about either.

To maybe help set your mind at ease, here is the CGF Wiki and the list of what are prohibited offences and see if you feel like you would fit in to any one of those. If not, then I'd probably say enjoy your new pistol. :)

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Firearms_rights_prohibitions

Termless
05-27-2012, 2:33 AM
Yeah just read that wiki page and no. Absolutely none of that I've done or broke any laws to that matter. Again Thank you all so much for helping me out here. Was worry about not getting my gun now.

erik_26
05-27-2012, 4:31 AM
What gun did you buy?

Termless
05-27-2012, 10:46 AM
What gun did you buy?

Ruger GP-100 3inch

Knauga
05-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Non issue, nice gun. Shoot it... a lot.

Termless
05-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Non issue, nice gun. Shoot it... a lot.

Oh I will. But sadly I got to wait for a call back form them if my gun is there yet. My guess a month and then the 10 day waiting.

Knauga
05-27-2012, 12:58 PM
I would recommend Hogue "tamer" grips and take up reloading. You can start up that process while you are waiting :D

Termless
05-27-2012, 3:45 PM
I would recommend Hogue "tamer" grips and take up reloading. You can start up that process while you are waiting :D

Where can I find some in San Diego?

Knauga
05-27-2012, 9:41 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Ruger-GP100-Redhawk-Rubber/dp/B000JVQPBI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338179979&sr=8-1

You can click through the Calguns link and search for Hogue Tamer Grips GP100. $21. They make the GP100 a very comfortable gun to shoot. Order it soon enough and you'll have it by the time you pick up your gun! :D

Termless
05-28-2012, 12:52 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Ruger-GP100-Redhawk-Rubber/dp/B000JVQPBI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338179979&sr=8-1

You can click through the Calguns link and search for Hogue Tamer Grips GP100. $21. They make the GP100 a very comfortable gun to shoot. Order it soon enough and you'll have it by the time you pick up your gun! :D

Damn they do look nice! But I think the gun I order MIGHT come with some Hogue grips (i think). Also should I get HiViz Ruger GP100 Handgun Sight for my ruger?

Knauga
05-28-2012, 9:52 AM
The HiViz front sight is easy to install. I had one when I had my GP. It will take you all of 30 seconds to install.

If you already have the tamer grips on the gun you will be good to go. The factory grips will tear up your hands when you are shooting hot loads.

Termless
05-28-2012, 11:21 AM
The HiViz front sight is easy to install. I had one when I had my GP. It will take you all of 30 seconds to install.

If you already have the tamer grips on the gun you will be good to go. The factory grips will tear up your hands when you are shooting hot loads.

Alright I'm going to order the sights later today. But when I get my ruger I'll post some pics of it.

Termless
05-30-2012, 2:57 AM
Agreed, I think you have nothing to worry about either.

To maybe help set your mind at ease, here is the CGF Wiki and the list of what are prohibited offences and see if you feel like you would fit in to any one of those. If not, then I'd probably say enjoy your new pistol. :)

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Firearms_rights_prohibitions

One more question. Will I be able to get a refund? If I don't pass? I also looked in that link that you posted. And found nothing bad that I did. So like you said I could enjoy my new pistol with ease.

stix213
05-30-2012, 4:09 AM
One more question. Will I be able to get a refund? If I don't pass? I also looked in that link that you posted. And found nothing bad that I did. So like you said I could enjoy my new pistol with ease.

If you fail the background check you'll be out your DROS fees and then the gun will go back into the FFL's inventory under whatever policy the FFL has. Contact the FFL regarding their specific policy, but I typically see a 15% to 30% restocking fee listed at the FFL's I frequent. Special ordering a gun might be different as well, since it wouldn't be something the FFL would be stocking.

That said, a voluntary trip to a counselor a couple times isn't any reason to get you a firearms prohibition. A 5150 involuntary psychiatric hold is the closest thing I'm aware of that will trigger one, but that isn't anything like going to a counselor a couple times.

Knauga
05-30-2012, 9:38 AM
If you were going to be rejected you would know why. Either you would have an unresolved arrest and charges, a conviction that would put you in a prohibited category or you would have been held on a 5150 or 5250 psych hold. Are you currently under a restraining order?

Without this, you are fine. Look in to reloading or you will go broke shooting this fine gun you are fretting over ;)

Termless
05-30-2012, 2:39 PM
If you were going to be rejected you would know why. Either you would have an unresolved arrest and charges, a conviction that would put you in a prohibited category or you would have been held on a 5150 or 5250 psych hold. Are you currently under a restraining order?

Without this, you are fine. Look in to reloading or you will go broke shooting this fine gun you are fretting over ;)

No nothing like that at all. Just talked about family problems thats all I did. And only went once. But like you guys said I'll be fine. I'll be enjoying my new pistol. And thinking of getting the CZ 75B at some point. Again thanks guys for the help.

jojo8080
05-30-2012, 5:46 PM
It's sad that our current state of rule has people so worked up about even minor and normal activities as to have us as citizens second guessing our past actions and if they will be cause for our government to deny us our free exercise of our rights

You'll be fine.

Termless
06-01-2012, 2:12 AM
It's sad that our current state of rule has people so worked up about even minor and normal activities as to have us as citizens second guessing our past actions and if they will be cause for our government to deny us our free exercise of our rights

You'll be fine.

Yeah but what can we do about it? In a way I can understand why. But like you said even for the smallest thing won't let you own a firearm. What kills me is that I got to wait a month or two. For the gun to be there and the 10 day wait period.

stix213
06-01-2012, 3:07 AM
Yeah but what can we do about it? In a way I can understand why. But like you said even for the smallest thing won't let you own a firearm. What kills me is that I got to wait a month or two. For the gun to be there and the 10 day wait period.

Should have gone with one in stock ;)

Termless
06-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Should have gone with one in stock ;)

LOL! I know but I really liked the ruger gp-100 3 inch.