PDA

View Full Version : PSA Upper

OC_Gunner
05-27-2012, 12:12 AM
Any thoughts on this upper for a starter AR?

$450 shipped with chargering handle and MOE HG.

Too good to be true?

I'm new to this, is it missing something I need?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-16-hammer-forged-midlength-light-weight-upper.html

Flowmini98
05-27-2012, 12:21 AM
All parts i have from PSA have been good

OC_Gunner
05-27-2012, 12:25 AM
*charging

smittty
05-27-2012, 12:29 AM

Too good to be true?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-16-hammer-forged-midlength-light-weight-upper.html

I think it's missing the bolt carrier.

I have a several PSA uppers and they are excellent. I also like that they package lots of their kits with moe parts instead of making you waste money buying parts you will end up replacing.

They only negative is the long time it takes them to complete and ship an order.

DREADNOUGHT78
05-27-2012, 12:30 AM

Too good to be true?

A lower receiver? Sights,optics,bullet button,magazines!

PSA has good stuff I have had a PSA upper and it ran fine. I used a few of their lower parts kits with no issues eas well.

DREADNOUGHT78
05-27-2012, 12:32 AM
I think it's missing the bolt carrier.

I have a several PSA uppers and they are excellent. I also like that they package lots of their kits with moe parts instead of making you waste money buying parts you will end up replacing.

They only negative is the long time it takes them to complete and ship an order.

Click on the link, at the bottom it states "as configured" and list's a "full auto carrier"

Availability: In stock
As low as: $399.95
Price as configured: $417.90
QUICK OVERVIEW

Barrel length 16"
Hammer Forged Barrel
Machine Gun Steel
5.56 Nato Chamber
1 in 7" twist
Double-thick Chrome-lined bore and chamber
Special lighter weight A2 profile
M4 feedramps
Forged upper
T-marks
Full auto bolt carrier
Carpenter 158 Bolt

OC_Gunner
05-27-2012, 12:34 AM
Yes, aside from the lower, etc.

I couldn't tell if it was missing the bcg based on description. Guess I will call.

DREADNOUGHT78
05-27-2012, 12:35 AM
Yes, aside from the lower, etc.

I couldn't tell if it was missing the bcg based on description. Guess I will call.

Edit:
I can see what your saying... It doesn't say it bring the carrier in the drop down menu...

I wonder if they are short on BCG's? If you search thr sight all of the PSA BCG's are out of stock!

artoaster
05-27-2012, 5:53 AM
Looks like the one I bought awhile back. It has BCG, you'll notice there's no drop down option for BCG because there is no option. You are getting the one mentioned in the ad copy and you can't opt for a different type of BCG either.

There's a drop down list for charging handle because you can opt to get a different one or no charging handle.

So, it's not too good to be true, it just is.

Must still be Free Shipping because it was $437 when added to cart and the get shipping quote button was tried.

mcisniper
05-27-2012, 7:18 AM
PSA is GTG! Shipping can be a little slow and don't try to get a hold of them.

smittty
05-27-2012, 8:21 AM
I looked that page over again I would definitely ask about the BCG.

It could be a glitch on their page but why would you need to add a charging handle? It should be a complete upper if the BCG is included.

I would upgrade to the MOE handguard for $20.

You can order it now to get the free shipping and after they email you the confirmation you can reply with questions. They are pretty good that way.

MKMS
05-27-2012, 8:25 AM
I just recently bought that upper. Looks to me that there isn't a BCG. Iono about buying and calling them b/c I don't think they will cancel your order if it doesn't come with it.

CIV Tactical
05-27-2012, 8:26 AM
you can check us out at www.civtactical.com we have a nice selection of custom gunsmithed complete uppers with BCG and Charge Handle.

clutchy
05-27-2012, 8:47 AM
get the MOE(magpul) handguard if you're going to get it :)

you'll thank me later.

smittty
05-27-2012, 9:56 AM
PSA is good to go.

Looks like they're low stock on BCG's at the moment, though - that upper pretty clearly says NO BOLT CARRIER GROUP.

Thats how I read it but if it comes with the BCG it's a very good price. PSA is pretty good about replying to their order confirmation email. If it's not included you can simply cancel your order.

It takes at least 2 weeks before they start assembly on an order so there is lots of time for emailing back and forth.

The only sucky thing is that it takes longer than 3 weeks before you get you upper in the mail.

I like this company. I have several of their uppers.

CIV Tactical
05-27-2012, 10:04 AM
PSA is good to go.

Looks like they're low stock on BCG's at the moment, though - that upper pretty clearly says NO BOLT CARRIER GROUP on it.

And CIV? Find someone different to do your web design and hosting. 2001 called, they'd like their web layouts back.

I am already on it.. I here you big time. The new site is in progress. Had to start somewhere.

MKMS
05-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Thats how I read it but if it comes with the BCG it's a very good price. PSA is pretty good about replying to their order confirmation email. If it's not included you can simply cancel your order.

It takes at least 2 weeks before they start assembly on an order so there is lots of time for emailing back and forth.

The only sucky thing is that it takes longer than 3 weeks before you get you upper in the mail.

I like this company. I have several of their uppers.

With no disrespect Smitty, but canceling has a little more to it. From what I read from other calgunners is that you have to pay a restocking fee if you want to cancel the order. Ya, you can try to sway them to cancel without the fee, but that's a lot of swaying. Just trying to look out for the OP.
Besides that, PSA is a good buy. I'm waiting on the exact same upper to arrive on Weds. If you do get it OP, go with the moe hd, its cheaper to get together then buying the upper and hd separate.

OC_Gunner
05-27-2012, 10:22 AM
I sent an email regarding the BCG. I'll see what they come back with. Seems like $599 is the going rate for entry level COMPLETE uppers (BCM, Stag, Riflegear).

Peter.Steele
05-27-2012, 10:29 AM
I sent an email regarding the BCG. I'll see what they come back with. Seems like $599 is the going rate for entry level COMPLETE uppers (BCM, Stag, Riflegear).

Back in October I bought a 20" upper from PSA for $587 incl shipping, that came with hammer forged barrel and 15" Midwest free-float tube. And yeah, it came with BCG and CH.

Definitely not entry level, and less than $599.

tempdrummer
05-27-2012, 11:18 AM
It doesn't come with the bolt carrier. I've been watching their site. Once in a while it will give you the option to add the Bcg for $100. They have been low to out of stock on bcgs for a while.

tempdrummer
05-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Also $599 is high for an entry complete. You can get a stag upper for 445 complete (without rear sight) also PSA has their m4 uppers for $299 right now. Add Bcg and charging handle and your way below $599

smittty
05-27-2012, 12:00 PM
I'm selling a PSA upper right now with a DD rear sight that's only been fired for sighting in. Check out my recent posts to find the listing.

OC_Gunner
05-27-2012, 6:27 PM
Seems they are out of BCGs as some of you have noted.

I'll pair it up with this from BCM along with the Gunfighter CH:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm

Should make a solid upper.

Jaredm83
05-29-2012, 10:34 AM
That does not come with BCG, you have to check the bolt carrier box if you want it and that ups the price $100. PSA is not out of BCG's last I checked, but you can only get one when purcahsing a complete upper...

realgreenfire
05-30-2012, 10:30 PM
they were COMPLETELY out of Bcg's as of the last friday when i placed my order.. at least thats what i was told when i called them.

Personmans
05-30-2012, 10:38 PM
they were COMPLETELY out of Bcg's as of the last friday when i placed my order.. at least thats what i was told when i called them.

I think Jaredm83 is right. I called and asked about BCGs and they said they would not have them in stock any time soon. That said, they have kept their uppers w/BCG options available, so I believe they're still selling them as a complete unit. -- Probably still have those in stock, but don't want to separate them to get the BCG for a lesser sale $$.

tempdrummer
05-30-2012, 10:39 PM
If you want the complete upper but it says $0 and won't let you select the bcg just keep checking back. I've seen the option go up and down 2 times in one day. Their bolt inventory is strange and goes in and out of stock.

marcusrn
05-30-2012, 11:10 PM
I just bought that upper sans BCG 3 weeks ago for $365. delivered.
I hear their BCGs are real good and well worth it if you can get the package for < $475. delivered. Jump on it. I think the barrels are built in the FNH plant same as military M249 SAW. I'm very pleased with mine.

Palmetto State Armory
05-31-2012, 11:02 AM
All of our BCGs are currently allocated for complete uppers. I'm not sure when we will have enough to sell them individually again.

FN makes a variety of firearms (M16,M249, FNP handguns, etc.) along with their barrels here in Columbia, SC.

jsipe007
05-31-2012, 6:37 PM
PSA uppers are good to go. I received one and the m4 feed ramps are perfectly aligned. Cant comment on bcg or bc because I havent received that part yet ;) itll be here monday....

MKMS
05-31-2012, 9:20 PM
Quick question on the upper. I just got my 16" HF LW mid upper today. Does it say anywhere on the barrel that is HF? I ask because I briefly saw something along the top of the barrel about it being MP, CL and 1/7 twist. Im just paranoid if I got the right barrel.

Thanks

Personmans
05-31-2012, 9:32 PM
PSA is GTG! Shipping can be a little slow and don't try to get a hold of them.

Agreed that PSA is GTG, I have had two orders in under a week from order date to my door. Very much disagree on the not trying to get a hold of them. I have both emailed and called and they were awesome.

TheHammerOfTruth
05-31-2012, 9:36 PM
I just saw the complete MOE PSA rifle this week at the Turners in Reseda, it looked very good. It is the first one I have seen on the shelf for sale complete.