PDA

View Full Version : SA v. DA?

thegreydecay
05-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Spent the day at the range with my newly acquired security six and had some less than anticipated results. I started the session by shooting single action figuring as a new shooter this would give me the best ego satisfying results. This was out doors at 25 yrds. All six shots hit but were fairly spread out across the target rings. Probably 6-8 inches wide by 3-4 high. I shot the next round double-action with far superior results - 2-4 inches wide by 2-3 inches high.

In my head this was the exact opposite of what I expected. Just wondering if others have experienced similar results? My initial thought was that it was because it was more difficult to anticipate the break with the DA due to the longer trigger pull. As opposed to 'knowing' that the break would be significantly less with the SA pull, which led to a higher likelihood of a jerked pull.

Am I wrong to think that single action should be more accurate than double action?

-TGD

Bastard
05-27-2012, 8:12 AM
first congrats on the newly acquired security six.
yes you are correct the you should be more accurate with the short pull of the single action. however shooting this at 25 yards is probably not the greatest idea, try it again at a closer distance.
the further out you go in distance the harder it get to figure things out.

Fishslayer
05-27-2012, 9:25 AM
My guess would be that you were concentrating harder on fundamentals shooting DA. I've found that I usually shoot tighter one handed groups with my weak hand. And I'm not cross dominant. Some "brisk, not rapid" DA shooting is also part of all my range sessions.

If you can shoot a revolver well DA you can probably shoot anything. ;)

9mmepiphany
05-27-2012, 10:14 AM
In my head this was the exact opposite of what I expected. Just wondering if others have experienced similar results?
This is only true if you have good trigger management skills to begin with. Easier and better aren't the same thing.

My initial thought was that it was because it was more difficult to anticipate the break with the DA due to the longer trigger pull. As opposed to 'knowing' that the break would be significantly less with the SA pull, which led to a higher likelihood of a jerked pull.
Your thoughts are correct about anticipation, however your understanding of their effects are a bit off.

Knowing when a trigger is going to release the hammer isn't a good thing. This anticipation is what causes jerked shots as shooters try to make the shot go off as the sights are in perfect alignment.

I have cured many client's anticipation problem by having them shoot in DA...it distracts them from trying to make that perfect shot. The correct technique when shooting DA is to see the sights align on target and press the trigger to the rear...never stopping the press until it releases. Fight of the impulse to stage the trigger by stopping to refine the sight picture.

I think 25 yards is a bit far to start also. You'd be better served at 7 yards of less...but then all your shots should cluster around 1" or less

thegreydecay
05-27-2012, 9:51 PM
Thanks for the input. As a new and somewhat aged shooter, I didn't expect much and sort of got what I expected. The range was crowded that day and the 7 yarders were pretty much full which pushed me out to the 25's. (felt a little more comfortable as a new shooter out on the fringe to boot).

I have a somewhat significant amount of fine motor jitter that I'm not sure I can make go away, so there is a certain amount of squeeze and hope when I feel the sights are lined up. I'm looking at taking a class or two which will no doubt take place at shorter distances and might also aid in dealing with the jitter.

Ultimately, I know i'm not going to be winning any competitions, I'd just like to gain some proficiency so I know I can protect my family should the need ever arise. It's also nice to know that I can probably get the job done DA if need be.

thanks again for the input!

CK_32
05-27-2012, 11:31 PM
I wouldn't think so both can go into single action. I think single action is dumb because it limits the gun why not have both as an option. It's like saying buy one car get one free na I'll just buy one thanks

Why not have options? Even if you never use it what does it hurt to have?

zfields
05-28-2012, 12:24 AM
I wouldn't think so both can go into single action. I think single action is dumb because it limits the gun why not have both as an option. It's like saying buy one car get one free na I'll just buy one thanks

Why not have options? Even if you never use it what does it hurt to have?

So I take it you don't like Glocks, XD's, M&P's, or similar? They are all "single action" in their striker functionality.

CK_32
05-28-2012, 2:40 AM
So I take it you don't like Glocks, XD's, M&P's, or similar? They are all "single action" in their striker functionality.

I'm obviously talking about revolvers with DA/SA or just SA versions. OP is posing about a revolver why even bring up semi auto pistols?

zfields
05-28-2012, 4:22 AM
I'm obviously talking about revolvers with DA/SA or just SA versions. OP is posing about a revolver why even bring up semi auto pistols?

Op is about the difference of da/sa triggers. I don't see how it being a revolver or auto matters in how the trigger pull maters.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

CK_32
05-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Op is about the difference of da/sa triggers. I don't see how it being a revolver or auto matters in how the trigger pull maters.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

I don't see any mention of semis in the first post. Seems like OP is asking about DA/SA in his revolver. So bringing in semi is comparing apples to oranges.

paul0660
05-28-2012, 11:52 AM
25 yrds.

This is the problem, and you didn't do half bad anyway.

Practice, and DA is just squeeze, bang, and your accuracy will be better than SA.

zfields
05-28-2012, 12:13 PM
I don't see any mention of semis in the first post. Seems like OP is asking about DA/SA in his revolver. So bringing in semi is comparing apples to oranges.

Da/Sa is the same trigger technique no matter what platform.

Sounds like OP is overcompensating for the pull of the heavier trigger in both fire modes.