PDA

View Full Version : Single Action Army

10mm
05-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Hello folks,
Can you be kind enough to share you thoughts and opinions on this classic pistol. I know Colt was the first to make them and still does. I really like the look of them and would probably not shoot it as much as say my Glocks. I think I'd like to own one more for the collectability and handing it down to my son when the time is right. I hear Uberti makes a copy of it. Italian made doesn't sound bad but would prefer the original.:thumbup:

AK all day
05-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Family friend has an original, very beautiful piece. I would love to own one myself.

23 Blast
05-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Well, if it's going to be a collectible and not a shooter, then by all means get a Colt. Ubertis are very pretty and quite faithful to the original design, but they are still just copies.

w55
05-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Get a real one!! GunBroker:)

jyo
05-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Over the years, a few Colt SAAs have drifted thru---three stayed---two in 44 Special (4 3/4" and 5 1/2") blue and casehardened along with a cute little Peacemaker 22/22 Mag---yeah, you don't shoot a lot of rounds thru them like say a Glock---it's a different, slower pace of shooting and enjoyment. Also a different crowd of shooters---enjoy!

Bastard
05-27-2012, 8:20 AM
I say get the Uberti or the Cimarron (made by Uberti) & get one that looks nice, rather than the cheapest parkerized one. no sense in spending all that money to buy an original only to find out you don't like it & wont shoot it.

I would say rent one & try it out, but I am not sure if any of the local ranges rent them.

redcliff
05-27-2012, 9:20 AM
Have you considerred a Ruger new model Vacquero? They are quite similar to Colt SAA's but can be loaded and carried with 6 rounds instead of 5.

If you do go with a Colt, you'll be spending about twice as much, and due to their colector status shooting them extensively will devalue them. Plus you'll need to do the load one, skip one, load 4 sequence to ensure the hammer ends up down on an empty chamber if you're going to carry it.

hornswaggled
05-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Discount Gun Mart has a few original Colt SAAs on consignment. One day when I'm 45+ I will own one. Best Gun Ever.

Malamute
05-27-2012, 5:43 PM
I'm a fan of the Colts. I've had several and foolishly traded them off. I deeply regret it, any and all of them. I will own another. Nothing feels quite the same, Uberti or whatever.

I have Rugers. They are fine guns, but are not a Colt in many ways. When I handle the Rugers, I generally miss the Colts. I wouldnt shoot the same level loads out of a Colt when in the mountains, but for the majority of use other than grizzly protection, (and it's probably plenty for that if loaded well and used well) the Colt is plenty of gun.

A man named Bob Edgar from Wyoming used a Colt SAA for many many years. He hunted most of his game with them, at ranges most would consider appropriate for rifle shooting, and did exhibition grade shooting with them. He'd shoot things thrown in the air, shoot things people held in their hands, and cigarettes out of their mouths. He always shot one handed. I've seen him make first round hits at 300 yards on various rocks. He was a true artist with a sixgun. I think Bob shot a couple thousand rounds a month on average when he was doing exhibition shooting, just to stay tuned up.

Army
05-27-2012, 5:51 PM
US Fire Arms (http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/single-action-revolver.asp) for as close a clone as legally possible. All parts interchange with a Colt, and at 1/3-1/2 the price. American made quality.

GNSLGR1
05-27-2012, 5:53 PM
U.S. Firearms makes a very good SA.
I own a Colt SA in .45 colt. I did not know at the time, but Colt cylinders are on the max side of spec. this plays hell with spent cases and reloading. (and accuracy) I wanted a shooter, if i had know about the specs i would have gotten the U.S. Firearms. I still may and just let the colt be a safe queen. just my 2 cents. Now having said all that, my Colt SA is the most beautiful firearm I own.

Malamute
05-27-2012, 5:54 PM
They are $1100? There are decent Colts around in that range to just a little more, especially if you dont mind a clean used gun of recent generation.

Linebaugh and others take smaller caliber cylinders and bore them for minimun spec chamber dimensions (.480") in the 45 Colt. I'm not sure how the 44 spl guns chambers are. I had a couple of them and don't recall any issues with brass. The 45's I had did have fairly large chambers, but shot fine.

tdyoung1958
05-27-2012, 6:15 PM
Have a Uberti Cattleman and really like it a lot, never a issue

10mm
05-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Loving the answers so far. I understand that it comes in different calibers. 45LC would probably be a good choice for the fact that it is probably easier to find. I still like the bigger rounds. You guys are a treasure of knowedge in this world of FUD. Thank you kindly.:D

Bastard
05-28-2012, 7:52 AM
45 is nice, but realistically you should thing about .357 with the ability to shoot 38 specials... I would just try to avoid any of the WCF calibers

Bruce
05-28-2012, 9:00 AM
US Fire Arms (http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/single-action-revolver.asp) for as close a clone as legally possible. All parts interchange with a Colt, and at 1/3-1/2 the price. American made quality.

Not the case any more. A USFA revolver,blue with a color case frame is $1150. A Colt SAA is $1315. Resale of the Colt will be better than the USFA, because it is a Colt.

gorenut
05-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Have you considerred a Ruger new model Vacquero? They are quite similar to Colt SAA's but can be loaded and carried with 6 rounds instead of 5.

If you do go with a Colt, you'll be spending about twice as much, and due to their colector status shooting them extensively will devalue them. Plus you'll need to do the load one, skip one, load 4 sequence to ensure the hammer ends up down on an empty chamber if you're going to carry it.

I agree with this. If this is going to be strictly for collection's sake.. I'd say go for the Colt. If you're even going to do any half-decent amount of shooting, I'd look into Ruger Vaqueros. I see them as SAAs with modern upgrades. I wish Ruger would do the same deal with a SAN or Dragoon (also making them take cartridges).

Mr_Monkeywrench
05-28-2012, 1:02 PM
I heard the New Ruger Vaquero is awesome. Im going to pick one up for sure. I want a collector, but I really want to shoot it. Thats why Im going Ruger.... Less collectors value, but I dont have to worry about shooting it.

Mr_Monkeywrench
05-28-2012, 1:05 PM
OP, Ive also heard that Turnbull makes a pretty sweet SSA as well.
http://www.turnbullmfg.com/store.asp?pid=20180

10mm
05-28-2012, 2:25 PM
By the look of things looks like a SSA Colt is on my short list. Also a Uberti looks like a reasonable compromise if I should like to practice shooting this type of pistol. Looked at the Turnbull and that was way over my spending power. Nice looking pistols though.

I had another question. What kind of crowd likes to shoot this kind of pistol. I've seen magazine and television stories featuring people dressed up in old western garb. Looks expensive and I'm not really into costumes. But cool nonetheless.

Bastard
05-28-2012, 3:03 PM
most of the cowboy action/single action competition is where you are really going to see people dressed up. as far as who likes to shoot them, I think anyone who considers him/herself a gun person likes to shoot anything... I know I do

redcliff
05-28-2012, 3:45 PM
This thread is worthless without pictures; heres one of my Colt SAA revolvers; a 4 3/4" Nickled version in .45 Colt :)

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll137/ranjaz/saanickle001.jpg

glockman19
05-28-2012, 6:59 PM
All I want is a Colt Single Action Army #1641 a nickel plated 4 3/4" .357, RO really complete my collection, in the meantime ill likely settle for a Ruger.

tonelar
05-28-2012, 7:21 PM
I own a Colt SAA and shoot myCimarron and Navy Arms Ubertis a ton more. A number of competitors in the CAS run their SAAs hard and fast (but most are modified to handle the rigors of being shot so much).

Cuda440
05-29-2012, 3:27 PM
I'm a fan of the USFA SAA guns, they are a true exact SAA replica made in the US with great attention to detail. The fit and finish is better than a few Colts I have seen.

The Rugers are great guns too. They look the part, but they're a bit more modernized for safety. If you want to carry and shoot a lot, its a good quality option.

The Uberti's and Cimmaron's (made by Uberti) are decent for the price, but it is a "get what you pay for" deal. Same for the EAA clones, They're nice and cheap, but they don't carry the Colt name and they might not be perfectly finished off.

The Colt is the original- but its not the exact original design, there have been a few changes throughout the generations. It's still a Colt, just not an original Colt. It will have a good resale value, but its not an instant collectible while you can still buy them.

I feel that the USFA is made with more attention to detail, and more true to the 1873 design. The price buys you more quality. Buying a colt buys you a great gun with a premium for the name.

USFA saa to a Colt saa is like a Baer 1911 to a Colt 1911, or a Noveske ar15 to a Colt ar15.

JMO, but you cant go wrong with any of them depending on what you are after.

orangeusa
05-29-2012, 3:48 PM
Beretta bought Uberti (as you know) and the quality went up when Beretta took them over.

I've got a Stampede, and it holds it's own on looks and function compared to a Vaquero. (Both have the transfer bar - so can't compare directly to older Colts)...

Now if I could just lower the cost of .45LC ($1.50 a round - ouch). :)

ojisan
05-29-2012, 3:56 PM
The Ruger New Vaquero is the same frame and grip size as the Colt, but stronger and safely carries with 6 rounds.
What's a "six-shooter" if it only holds five safely?
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/scottwerx/P2090070-1.jpg

IARC

Cuda440
05-29-2012, 4:02 PM
Beretta bought Uberti (as you know) and the quality went up when Beretta took them over.

I've got a Stampede, and it holds it's own on looks and function compared to a Vaquero. (Both have the transfer bar - so can't compare directly to older Colts)...

Now if I could just lower the cost of .45LC ($1.50 a round - ouch). :)

$1.50 a round? Where are you shopping?

For $1.50, you can get the big boy Buffalo Bore +p 325gr that puts out 1300 Ft-Lbs- hotter than the average 44mag loads. (edit: dont shoot this through any SAA or Clone- big frame rugers and lever guns only)

Normal cowboy loads are $35-$40 per box of 50. :thumbsup:

BigJ
05-29-2012, 4:03 PM
Here's an off the wall thought: consider a New Model Ruger Single Six. Yup... a 22 (LR and Mag).

The *only* reason I mention it in this conversation is because you mentioned your son, and timing. I assume he's still quite young? The Single Six is something you can shoot right now, and have a blast doing it. And its something he can shoot at a very very early age because its safe (relatively) and there won't be any fear of recoil with the 22lr. As he grows a bit, you can run the 22mag cylinder for a little extra pop too. And the thing will last your lifetime, his lifetime and probably well past his son's lifetime if cared for.

If you're looking for something to pass down to your son, pick something you both can enjoy, and something that he'll remember shooting with Dad as a small boy. I have a monetarily worthless gun that my Dad taught me to shoot on, and now that he's passed its probably one of my most valued possessions. I take it out regularly to this day, and it feels like somehow he's with me.

Food for thought.

Charlie50
05-29-2012, 4:14 PM
I am an old guy, love revolvers and each to their own but in my ever so miserable opinion I just can't look at one and not think about the cheap cap guns I had as a kid... sorry no love for the look of them. Love my modern double action Smiths. I shot a friend's Colt and I have to say it felt really good in my hand... a little heavier than the ones I remember :). let the flame begin.

Mr_Monkeywrench
05-30-2012, 12:31 AM
I truly have to say that shooting SAA is by far my favorite type of pistol to shoot.

1JimMarch
05-30-2012, 2:10 PM
I'm in Tucson AZ and as I write this, I'm open-carrying a Ruger New Vaquero in 357 in a buffet :).

The Ruger New Vaquero was introduced in 2004 and was the first new "mid-frame size" they'd made since 1972. It's extremely close in size, heft and feel to a post-WW2 Colt SAA. There are however some differences:

* Rugers use coil springs instead of flat springs and are generally tougher throughout.

* All Rugers from 1973 forward have an internal safety that prevents drop-related accidents or any situation where the hammer gets slammed while it's in the holster.

* The Ruger loading and unloading drill is different than a Colt or "true clone" (generally the Italians and the USFAs). In a Colt you put the gun in half-cock, then open the loading gate to load and unload. It's the half-cock that frees the cylinder for rotation while loading. In a Ruger you leave the hammer all the way down and open the loading gate to free the cylinder for rotation and to do your loading/unloading. Opening the Ruger loading gate also trips a lock that freezes the hammer and trigger...it can't be cocked with the loading gate open.

A Colt or true clone has to be carried "five up" - load one, skip one, load four, bring it from half cock to full cock, then gently lower the hammer onto the empty chamber. That's your safety. The Rugers can be loaded six-up. (There's also a large-frame Blackhawk in 327Federal that holds eight rounds, and a 10rd version of the 22LR Single Six).

The Ruger system is faster, safer and carries an extra bullet, at a slight cost in "tradition".

The other reason to get a Ruger is if you're into modifying your critters :). There's a ton of other parts available from elsewhere in the Ruger parts lists - "FrankenRugers" are extremely common.

The first mod mine got was a lower-slung hammer off the SuperBlackhawk, which brings up an interesting point: it turns out that pre-WW2 Colt SAAs had a lower "hammer reach" than the post-war versions made on different tooling. By default the Rugers and Italians copy the post-war ergonomics, while USFA tries to clone the pre-war guns. Well with the SuperBlackhawk hammer, my gun's "thumb reach distance" exactly matched several pre-WW2 Colts ("first generation") that I had a chance to handle a few years back. This puts my gun closer in feel to a "real old-time Colt" than the post-war Colts, at least in that one critical area.

orangeusa
05-30-2012, 2:20 PM
I got a box of 200 reloads from the seller, but Wallymart was selling just standard Winchester lead in 20 round boxes for about that price.

They also had a self-defense round in .45 LC.... What's up with that?

http://www.winchesterdownloadassets.com/Winchester%20Download%20Site%20Resources/Symbols/X45CP2/Consumer%20Site/X45CP2_FrontView_preview.png

$1.50 a round? Where are you shopping?

For $1.50, you can get the big boy Buffalo Bore +p 325gr that puts out 1300 Ft-Lbs- hotter than the average 44mag loads. (edit: dont shoot this through any SAA or Clone- big frame rugers and lever guns only)

Normal cowboy loads are $35-$40 per box of 50. :thumbsup:

pc_load_letter
05-30-2012, 3:04 PM
I have a .44 special Colt SAA and a .22 Colt SAA that I inherited from my father. Both are in pristine condition. Manufacture date of 1959.

The .44 special shoots so soft it's amazing.

wtkaiser
05-30-2012, 6:32 PM
If you are talking factory loads PC, maybe not so amazing when you realize that they're "loaded soft". The 246 gr lead bullet is really underloaded. But I freely admit that the Ruger .44 special is one of the few guns I really want. I'd just load my own to be a bit more stout.

trashman
05-30-2012, 7:19 PM

And they actually bought the Colt "blue dome" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Armory) manufacturing facility.

They are gorgeous guns - I do own a Colt SAA, and I will own a USFA SAA ay some point....

The frames, however, are not the same size -- except for the "old armory 1st generation spec". (http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/1stGeneration.asp)

--Neill

Bastard
05-31-2012, 9:20 AM
Here's an off the wall thought: consider a New Model Ruger Single Six.

forget the new model, try to find an old 3screw... just let me find one first.

orangeusa
05-31-2012, 9:23 AM
They pop up here about every 3 months... And sell quick. :)

forget the new model, try to find an old 3screw... just let me find one first.

BigJ
05-31-2012, 9:40 AM
Hah true that. But NOT if this is something a kid/newb is going to shoot. The new model and its transfer bar just makes sense if the gun is going to get used.

highpower
05-31-2012, 4:01 PM
For years I resisted buying a Colt SAA. I used all the usual excuses..they're overpriced...they're fragile...I just don't have the money right now for something I don't need...yada, yada, yada. Finally, I realized that they were never going to be affordable and I was never going to be able to by a "real" Colt single action.

So what did I do? I bought one anyway and I am glad I did. I looked at all the other available single actions on the market and decided to bite the bullet, so to speak and pony up (pun intended) for a Colt.

What I got was a NIB Frontier Six Shooter (all that means is that it is chambered for the .44-40), and I bought it for $1100. Not cheap, but certainly within the price of a USFA. I have shot it and I can say it has the same feeling as shooting a 1903 Springfield or a M1 Garand. When you pull the trigger, it is like shooting a piece of history.

Now let me be the first to say that I am not putting down anyone's choice of gun. But I don't own a Glock, or a SIG, or any modern semi-auto pistol. They may be a great piece of engineering, but they don't speak to my soul, guns like the Colt do. I do have a couple of Ruger single actions and while they may be "better" I choose to shoot the .44-40 more.

1984 Colt FSS with special order blackpowder frame and "three line" address
http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/Colt-Single-action/i-kBgdPqM/0/XL/IMG1071-XL.jpg

http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/Colt-Single-action/i-3WtKnqm/0/XL/IMG1073-XL.jpg

westcoast362
05-31-2012, 7:32 PM
This is really a very individual choice. If you want a Single Action Army there is only one, a Colt. If you want a well made single action revolver there are several very good choices. The Rugers I have seen are nice looking, but do they still put all of that stuff on the barrel about reading the instructions? (That would be a deal breaker for me.)
There are some Colt single action collectors who would say that the only SAA is a 7.5in barrel in .45Colt.

JEFFDB
06-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Get the Colt if price is not an issue. I had one and I regret selling it. Bothers me every day now for 20+ years. But I got the El Patron Uberti recently, and I'm very impressed. It's a step up in the line with upgraded springs and hand fit, so it's a great Colt replica.