PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 Express with PG

WildWildWest
05-26-2012, 9:02 PM
Hello every one,

A friend of mine just got himself a brandnew Rem. 870 Express with pistol grip and seemed to be very happy with it. I'm thinking of getting myself one just like his, but unsure if it's the right SG for Hd/Sd and if it's easy to handle the pistol grip since I've never shot any shotguns with PG, only shoulder grips.

Pls feel free to chime in and any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, guys! :D

prc77
05-26-2012, 9:08 PM
forget about PGO shotguns. Get a shotgun with a traditional stock with a short LOP and call it good.

Hogue 12 LOP is a great fit for a fair amount of folks

Ubermcoupe
05-26-2012, 9:23 PM
I would say shoot a PG SG and see how you like it.

Personally, I like them for paper/steel punching and with ~18” barrels.
Any thing else (bird hunting, sporting clays, etc) and you’ll want to stick to a traditional Montecarlo stock.

I’m fortunate to have access to both and let’s just say the 26” field gun is not my HD SG.

Ribkick
05-26-2012, 9:24 PM
forget about PGO shotguns. Get a shotgun with a traditional stock with a short LOP and call it good.

Hogue 12 LOP is a great fit for a fair amount of folks

^This^

Next!

WildWildWest
05-28-2012, 4:58 PM
^This^

Next!

Why the need for the LOP, is the recoil of PG 870 that so bad?

CK_32
05-28-2012, 5:17 PM
The only good thing about these I've seen (been researching for a purchase of my own) is that it has a 2 way recoil reduced in the Blackhawks PG stocks that come with some 870s.

I think they look ugly but to each his own

CK_32
05-28-2012, 5:18 PM
The only good thing about these I've seen (been researching for a purchase of my own) is that it has a 2 way recoil reduced in the Blackhawks PG stocks that come with some 870s.

I think they look ugly but to each his own

aippi
05-28-2012, 5:34 PM
[QUOTE=prc77;8651022]forget about PGO shotguns. Get a shotgun with a traditional stock with a short LOP and call it good.

DITTO.

And the reason you need a stock is in the event you end up outside at longer distances. Look at the Speedfeed IV-S. It is a stock with a pistol grip and has a 13" LOP. Can't get much better for a fighting shotgun.

NYCShooter
05-28-2012, 10:12 PM
[QUOTE=prc77;8651022]forget about PGO shotguns. Get a shotgun with a traditional stock with a short LOP and call it good.

DITTO.

And the reason you need a stock is in the event you end up outside at longer distances. Look at the Speedfeed IV-S. It is a stock with a pistol grip and has a 13" LOP. Can't get much better for a fighting shotgun.

Nothing wrong with the Blackhawk, if you know how to shoot it. I also like the SF IV-S, but like the Mesa Urbino better. I also prefer the Remington LE 13" LOP over the Hogue. I suppose the best stock is the one that works best for you.

P.W.
05-28-2012, 11:04 PM
If someone likes a PG on a Pump Scattergun and it works better than a traditional stock then more power to them. I have a 870HD that I use a traditional stock on. and prefer traditional style stocks w/ shorter LOP on Pumps. Now if I were to get an 1187 or another Semi-Auto Scatter gun then I would install or buy one w/ a PG stock on it. I feel I can control the weapon better since it is Semi-Auto w/ a pistol grip if fast repetitive shots are needed.

negolien
05-29-2012, 12:39 AM
Traditional with the PG lol best of both worlds.