PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a M&P45 today :D

Bug Splat
05-26-2012, 9:45 PM
Made a deal with myself this morning that if/when I found one at my LGS I would buy it. Figured i'd have to wait a few months which was fine. I was torn between black and FDE, but figured either would be fine and I'd get which ever I found first. Stopped by this afternoon to peek and to my surprise they had one in black full size and with a safety. I don't like manual safeties at all but I do like a place to rest my thumb so I wanted the safety just for that. Going to order an Apex FSS right now and next month will get a a set of Truglo TFO. :D

Sonic_mike
05-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Congrats! Can't wait to see the pictures in 10 days.

pyromensch
05-26-2012, 10:11 PM
good deal...what did you pay?

Sebass
05-27-2012, 10:14 AM
M&P 45's are scarce in my area, nice to see you scored one :D.

BTW, not to hijack the thread or anything but is anyone else having trouble finding an M&P 45 right now?

NiteQwill
05-27-2012, 10:37 AM

BTW, not to hijack the thread or anything but is anyone else having trouble finding an M&P 45 right now?

They have one at ProForce in Brea on the shelf as of 3 days ago.

boltmopar
05-27-2012, 11:12 AM
I bought one in January and wasn't really looking until recently, where none seem to be available. I have run into them in 9mm and 40, but those don't seem to be as plentiful as before.

cebuvfr
05-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Congrats!

MT1
05-27-2012, 4:16 PM

Yeah, I'm on a waiting list.

Sebass
05-27-2012, 4:41 PM
Yeah, I'm on a waiting list.

Did they give you an approximate ETA?

I declined to place an order with my LGS 'cause they couldn't give me an ETA...

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
05-27-2012, 5:00 PM
Nice buy

scglock
05-27-2012, 8:37 PM
sweet gun let us know how it shoots

Bug Splat
05-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Decided to not get the FSS kit. Went in today to my LSG and tried the trigger again. I really don't need to move the sear forward, I just want a clean trigger at the same distance. Ordered just the Hard Sear and will wait for their new Poly trigger thats coming out next month. While testing the trigger I also noticed you can't feel the reset. Very annoying. New sear says it will fix this. Anyone polish their Apex sear?

MT1
05-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Did they give you an approximate ETA?

I declined to place an order with my LGS 'cause they couldn't give me an ETA...

They said they would let me know when my spot comes up, no ETA...

peopleofthesun
05-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Congrats. I got mine a couple weeks ago and love it.

JohnGibson
05-30-2012, 8:51 PM

PRK Arms in Fresno had two on display, I bought one and it's in jail. Both are without the thumb safety. $545, with tax and dros came out to $618. They seem to be the only place who has them because I been looking for awhile. When they first got them in they wanted full MSRP for it.

Bug Splat
05-30-2012, 9:15 PM
Yeah my LGS charges just under MSRP on almost every pistol. I have talked them down before but the new owners do not budge. I bought mine off consignment so the seller set the price which was still high for used but it was in 99% condition. I stripped it down and inspected all the internals and they looked clean.

Stupid 10 day waiting period is a joke. I want it now! :D

JohnGibson
05-30-2012, 9:43 PM
Is there a "break-in" ammo I should use for the MP45 or can I use any brand ammo? Also anyone know where I can get a group buy or a bulk buy on 45acp? I already purchase 4 magazines since I don't like to reload but the Mag Lula helps.

Sam
05-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Decided to not get the FSS kit. Went in today to my LSG and tried the trigger again. I really don't need to move the sear forward, I just want a clean trigger at the same distance. Ordered just the Hard Sear and will wait for their new Poly trigger thats coming out next month. While testing the trigger I also noticed you can't feel the reset. Very annoying. New sear says it will fix this. Anyone polish their Apex sear?

It's been my experience that just the hard sear doesn't do anything for the reset. It makes the pull better though. The RAM is in the works for the 45 version. I placed an order for a FSS kit for my new .45. I'm excited to get it because my trigger pull is around 10 pounds.

ZX-10R
05-31-2012, 7:30 AM
Mine is at APEX Tactical...I met with them last week and they are now a customer of mine. I handled one that had the Level 4 trigger job. Phenomenal feel...Felt like my Colt 1911 trigger that was with me when I was there. As a result, I became their customer and went the Level 4 trigger job - haha. So I was able to compare triggers...I have always liked my M&P 45 even with the crap trigger...It is reliable, accurate, and looks like a champ (I prefer thumb safety). With this trigger job I will most likely be more accurate...That I can tell just by the way my 1911 trigger feels. Needless to say, congrats! You will love it. Even without a trigger job I like the M&P 45.

Bug Splat
05-31-2012, 11:44 AM
It's been my experience that just the hard sear doesn't do anything for the reset. It makes the pull better though. The RAM is in the works for the 45 version. I placed an order for a FSS kit for my new .45. I'm excited to get it because my trigger pull is around 10 pounds.

Reviews I have seen about the 45 Hard Sear says the reset is more noticeable. I guess I'll just have to try it.

Does anyone know if the firing pin block is mim? I want to round/dome it out more.

Fherot
05-31-2012, 4:26 PM
I put the hard sear in my 45 and will be shooting it Saturday. Couldn't stand the stock tigger, I dry fired the pistol a few times before and after I installed Apex Hard Sear and although still gritty the trigger feels muuuuch more manageable. I intend to put a couple hundred rounds through it before I consider FSS or RAM since my biggest concern was just awful pull itself.

As for break in when I first took my M&P 45 out and fired 100 walmart winchester white box, 50 Remington UMC and 20 Remington 185gr golden sabers (to get rid of them) and not one hiccup. My mom who is limp wrist prone fired it and laughed and said it felt better than her .38 Taurus snub.

I would say if M&P came with an Apex setup and didn't have roll pins holding it together it would be perfect. Feels better than any pistol I've held in my hand. (I use medium backstrap).

However M&P does use roll pins and it is harder to fully disassemble than say a Glock. It also does require Apex upgrades.

But those are the only 2 flaws I can think of and they're pretty minor.

InGrAM
05-31-2012, 4:30 PM
Welcome to the M&P club :hurray:

Bug Splat
05-31-2012, 4:34 PM
I put the hard sear in my 45 and will be shooting it Saturday. Couldn't stand the stock tigger, I dry fired the pistol a few times before and after I installed Apex Hard Sear and although still gritty the trigger feels muuuuch more manageable. I intend to put a couple hundred rounds through it before I consider FSS or RAM since my biggest concern was just awful pull itself.

As for break in when I first took my M&P 45 out and fired 100 walmart winchester white box, 50 Remington UMC and 20 Remington 185gr golden sabers (to get rid of them) and not one hiccup. My mom who is limp wrist prone fired it and laughed and said it felt better than her .38 Taurus snub.

I would say if M&P came with an Apex setup and didn't have roll pins holding it together it would be perfect. Feels better than any pistol I've held in my hand. (I use medium backstrap).

However M&P does use roll pins and it is harder to fully disassemble than say a Glock. It also does require Apex upgrades.

But those are the only 2 flaws I can think of and they're pretty minor.

Hows the reset? Is it audible now and can you feel it click?

Sam
05-31-2012, 5:16 PM
My fault. I should have specified I was talking about the 9mm versions. My 9 w/ thumb safety has the horrible factory reset because the RAM doesn't exist for it yet. On the other hand, my no thumb safety 9 and 40 pistols all have good reset because they all do have a RAM.

Knauga
05-31-2012, 5:21 PM
Congrats, I love my M&P45. I just wish I had gotten the one without the thumb safety. It moves too easy on the M&P. I haven't had any trigger problems, mines seems smooth and to break consistently.

Sam
05-31-2012, 5:43 PM
Congrats, I love my M&P45. I just wish I had gotten the one without the thumb safety. It moves too easy on the M&P. I haven't had any trigger problems, mines seems smooth and to break consistently.

Check this out:
http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?/topic/26004-how-i-firmed-up-my-manual-safety/

Mine on my 9 was a little weak and while it was at Apex I had them firm it up. It now takes the right amount of force to flip it off.

TwinStick
06-01-2012, 10:07 AM
I fired my new/used M&P45 yesterday for the first time (bought from a fellow CalGunner, Thanks!). Put 100 rounds through it and I absolutely hate the stock trigger. I'm used to the P226 trigger which has a very crisp, short pull comparitive to the M&P. I'll be ordering the Apex parts soon.

nocomply25
06-01-2012, 10:28 AM
I have an apex comp kit and ram installed on my gun. The reset is there but I have not been able to find it that well while shooting. I think it will take some getting use to, but i think it will never be like a glock reset. With that said, my trigger breaks at about 3lbs now and its amazingly smooth. I purchased used with that kit and now I am changing some springs to bring it back up to 4lb pull...that 3 is scary light.