PDA

View Full Version : Walther P22...

HK Chef
05-26-2012, 7:43 PM
Ok guys I'm worried about this and need a little more info. So I just found out today from a fellow CalGunner that the p22 I have is not California compliant. (Threaded barrel) It is in transit right now to my house and will be here in probably 3 more weeks. When I purchased the gun I asked the owner at Great Norther Guns in Anchorage if the gun was legal to go back to California as I did with every other firearm I purchased there, and was told that there is no reason that it can't. I know once my handguns arrive I have 60 days to register them, so what do I need to do to make sure I don't get in any trouble? Thanks for the help!!

mc21
05-26-2012, 8:01 PM
You're moving into California? If you already have the gun then it doesn't matter if it is on the roster or not. There's a difference between off roster guns and illegal guns.

HK Chef
05-26-2012, 8:06 PM
I'm already here, been here 2 weeks but the moving company has all of my goods. Just waiting for them to arrive. Can I be charged with anything when I go register my handguns?

vhram
05-26-2012, 8:07 PM
If its not a ca compliant gun you cannot import it into the state. It doesnt matter if you owned it in another state.

mc21
05-26-2012, 8:09 PM
I'm already here, been here 2 weeks but the moving company has all of my goods. Just waiting for them to arrive. Can I be charged with anything when I go register my handguns?

Don't believe so. Off roster just means you cannot buy it straight from a FFL like normal guns. If you legally own the gun, you should be able to bring it in I believe. Be sure to have any magazines over 10 rounds are disassembled and are rebuilds. Unless there's a law specifically saying no to threaded barrels that I am missing (new to Cali too), then you should be okay.

jkody
05-26-2012, 8:12 PM
It's a no go for the threaded barrel on any handgun in California. A friend of mine had Walther put a cali compliant barrel on his. I would think a gunsmith could permanently attach the cap for you.

mc21
05-26-2012, 8:16 PM
^^^ looks like i was wrong. no threaded barrels :kest:

but still difference between off roster and legal/illegal

vhram
05-26-2012, 8:20 PM
Owners that got P22's in calif when they first came out were sent a letter by CA DOJ stating that they had to be sent back to the factory to be fixed. A permante threaded cap had to be attached (epoxied and no wrench slot )to make it legal . DOJ stated threaded barrel equals assalt weapon ! Theres alot of info on Calguns just search P22. After that all P22's sold are now a special ca model P22 CA.

Quiet
05-26-2012, 11:11 PM
Because the Walther P-22 has a threaded barrel, it is considered an assault weapon. [PC 30515(a)(4)(A)]

Because it is an assault weapon, it is not legal to import into CA. [PC 30600(a) and 17000(a)(11)]

Remove the threaded barrel from the Walther P-22 and never have it installed, while in CA.
Install a non-threaded barrel to be CA legal.

Penal Code 30515
(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, "assault weapon" also means any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.

Penal Code 30600
(a) Any person who, within this state, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, distributes, transports, or imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives or lends any assault weapon or any .50 BMG rifle, except as provided by this chapter, is guilty of a felony, and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 for four, six, or eight years.

Penal Code 17000
(a) As used in this part, until January 1, 2014, any reference to the term "personal firearm importer" shall be deemed to mean "personal handgun importer" and, on and after January 1, 2014, any reference to the term "personal handgun importer" shall be deemed to mean "personal firearm importer." A "personal handgun importer," until January 1, 2014, and commencing January 1, 2014, a "personal firearm importer" means an individual who meets all of the following criteria:
(1) The individual is not a person licensed pursuant to Article 1 (commencing with Section 26700) and Article 2 (commencing with Section 26800) of Chapter 2 of Division 6 of Title 4.
(2) The individual is not a licensed manufacturer of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code.
(3) The individual is not a licensed importer of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(4) The individual is the owner of a firearm.
(5) The individual acquired that firearm outside of California.
(6) The individual moved into this state on or after January 1, 1998, in the case of a handgun, or in the case of a firearm that is not a handgun, on or after January 1, 2014, as a resident of this state.
(7) The individual intends to possess that handgun within this state on or after January 1, 1998, or in the case of a firearm that is not a handgun, he or she intends to possess that firearm within this state on or after January 1, 2014.
(8) The firearm was not delivered to the individual by a person licensed pursuant to Article 1 (commencing with Section 26700) and Article 2 (commencing with Section 26800) of Chapter 2 of Division 6 of Title 4, who delivered that firearm following the procedures set forth in Section 27540 and Article 1 (commencing with Section 26700) and Article 2 (commencing with Section 26800) of Chapter 2 of Division 6 of Title 4.
(9) The individual, while a resident of this state, had not previously reported ownership of that firearm to the Department of Justice in a manner prescribed by the department that included information concerning the individual and a description of the firearm.
(10) The firearm is not a firearm that is prohibited by any provision listed in Section 16590.
(11) The firearm is not an assault weapon.
(12) The firearm is not a machinegun.
(13) The person is 18 years of age or older.
(14) The firearm is not a .50 BMG rifle.
(15) The firearm is not a destructive device.
(b) For purposes of paragraph (6) of subdivision (a):
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), residency shall be determined in the same manner as is the case for establishing residency pursuant to Section 12505 of the Vehicle Code.
(2) In the case of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States, residency shall be deemed to be established when the individual was discharged from active service in this state.

vhram
05-27-2012, 8:39 AM
I a conversation I had with the Calguns legal team several years ago about a issue with a p22. Mere possesion "even disassembled" is a serious problem.You've still imported the weapon. Im not even sure S&W will even do a retrofit to this weapon. I would get legal advise before that gets here.

HK Chef
05-27-2012, 11:21 AM
so my question is, do all p22's come with the threaded barrel? is it just recessed into the slide? most pictures i see do not show a threaded barrel..

There's a little end cap on the end of my barrel with 2 indents in it and a silver wrench included it screws it off.

Also if this is indeed a threaded barrel can I simply just buy a non threaded and toss the threaded one out then register it?

jdogg2000
05-28-2012, 1:11 AM
so my question is, do all p22's come with the threaded barrel? is it just recessed into the slide? most pictures i see do not show a threaded barrel..

There's a little end cap on the end of my barrel with 2 indents in it and a silver wrench included it screws it off.

Also if this is indeed a threaded barrel can I simply just buy a non threaded and toss the threaded one out then register it?

There is a California compliant version, in fact one of our local FFLs has them in stock right now: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=8602588#post8602588

If you own the P22 already, it's fine to bring it in, but you should get rid of the threaded barrel and install a non threaded one like the one the CA version comes with.

redcliff
05-28-2012, 7:05 AM

I'm not aware of a non-threaded barrel you can purchase due to the design of that pistol.

When I sent mine in for modification to S&W per DOJ requirement they put on a nut with no wrench slots and glued it on to the barrel to permanently cover the threads. I don't really know if they used epoxy or a high-temp loctite but they claimed trying to remove the nut would destroy the barrel.

As a side note, some things are better to discuss in the hypothetical on the internet.

missiontrails
05-28-2012, 7:38 AM
Get a bullet button.

:thumbsup:

wheels
07-14-2012, 9:32 PM
Because the Walther P-22 has a threaded barrel, it is considered an assault weapon. [PC 30515(a)(4)(A)]

Because it is an assault weapon, it is not legal to import into CA. [PC 30600(a) and 17000(a)(11)]

Remove the threaded barrel from the Walther P-22 and never have it installed, while in CA.
Install a non-threaded barrel to be CA legal.

Penal Code 30515
(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, "assault weapon" also means any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.

Am I the only one that reads that to mean that the pistol must have a threaded barrel that can accept a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer to be considered an assault weapon?

I haven't seen my P22 in a while because it stays in a free state while I'm visiting in CA, but I don't remember any way that pistol could accept a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or "silencer":facepalm:

Intimid8tor
07-14-2012, 9:40 PM
Am I the only one that reads that to mean that the pistol must have a threaded barrel that can accept a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer to be considered an assault weapon?

I haven't seen my P22 in a while because it stays in a free state while I'm visiting in CA, but I don't remember any way that pistol could accept a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or "silencer":facepalm:

They very easily accept a suppressors with the addition of the adapter from the silencer maker.

wheels
07-14-2012, 9:50 PM
They very easily accept a suppressors with the addition of the adapter from the silencer maker.

Yeah - sometimes I get a bit hasty in my desire to ram something stiff up Sacramento's rear quarters.

My Google ixquick.com fu was lacking.

I really need to wrap up this "visit' and go play with the out of state toys. (About 200 miles east of you BTW)

Intimid8tor
07-14-2012, 9:59 PM
Yeah - sometimes I get a bit hasty in my desire to ram something stiff up Sacramento's rear quarters.

My Google ixquick.com fu was lacking.

I really need to wrap up this "visit' and go play with the out of state toys. (About 200 miles east of you BTW)

I've got about a 6 month wait for my good out of state toys.

blockfort
07-15-2012, 12:42 AM
I have a CA version, there are no threads, and the barrel is permanently attached to the frame. If you can get a spare CA barrel, it may not be as easy as bolting it in.