PDA

View Full Version : Am I right in regards to sbs laws in california?

MBW
05-26-2012, 1:03 PM
Am I right when I say the only way to have a sbs here in california would be to get a c&r shotgun and approved atf form 1 or a non-c&r and then a CA DoJ dangerous weapons permit and a aft form 1? I tried reading this post http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=82693 but legal mumbo jumbo doesnt really compute upstairs. Really the only reason why I want this is for part of a photo series I want to do, even though it will be like 6 months for approval once I get an idea its hard not to do it. I heard unless your a swat team member or in the movie industry you wont get the ca doj permission. Does anyone outside of the big studios in hollywood get permission? Or should I compromise and get a c&r and not use my remington 870. That is of course if anyone can be approved for the c&r sbs.

Edit: Also some shots will be at night with muzzle flash so a working firearm is kind of a must.

cpiaaq
05-26-2012, 1:14 PM
Photoshop?

MBW
05-26-2012, 2:18 PM
Photoshop?

Technically it might be possible to use a 18" barrel for the non muzzle flash shots with a solid color background to easily chop off the barrel in the computer or find a quality non firing replica. But I think I would run into way to many post problems with the muzzle flash shots and I would have to compose every image based on where the end of the barrel will be. They are going to be photoshopped either way because some of the photos will look like someone shooting at zombies (yes a zombie shoot, shoot) so I am going to take two photos and stack them. I wish I thought of doing this series without a sbs and a chicken head grip with a spike on the end of the grip (yes thats right, a zombie skull bashing pyramid shaped spike :43:). On the plus side I guess if I go with the sbs c&r I will have one hell of a novelty zombie shotgun when this is done, it should be fun for destroying stuff in the desert.

Capybara
05-26-2012, 2:57 PM
% of Calguns posts that I thought were going to have interesting legal or firearms information but turn out to be about fictitious entities that don't exist in real life - 6.2

MBW
05-26-2012, 5:02 PM
% of Calguns posts that I thought were going to have interesting legal or firearms information but turn out to be about fictitious entities that don't exist in real life - 6.2

Yea its called a photo series, not prepping. Besides if you cant have a little fun with aesthetics sometimes you can take the fun out of shooting. Not every gun in the armory has to be designed practically. If this thread wasted your time, your best bet would be to hit the back button, not spend your time trying to let everyone know you dislike the fictitious dead. There is a reason why we watch the walking dead instead of reading user manuals, its called entertainment.

Capybara
05-26-2012, 5:18 PM
Nothing against you, I just am overloaded with zombie crap, it is the most tired meme In our society. I am watching tv w my son right now, just saw two commercials with zombies, go to Barnes and Noble and half of the fiction is about zombies, go to the gun range to shoot and I have to look at zombie targets being shot with zombie ammunition by guys with zombie red dots mounted ona zombie killer rifle.

I like entertainment, I am in the entertainment business, I am just sick of zombie junk. In shooting, it's like you cannot get away from it.

My snark was more directed toward the culture that thinks that the zombie thing is real than you personally, sorry.

MBW
05-26-2012, 6:42 PM
It could always be worse. Just think twilight lol.

But any idea with the laws anyone? I figure the c&r will be the realistic path to take if all that is needed is to fill out the form, pay, and wait. In terms of being issued would it be called shall issue or may issue?

repubconserv
05-26-2012, 7:03 PM
My advice on the cheapest best solution... Find a guy in AZ who has an SBS. Go there and do the shots. Or find a hollyweird armorer who will supply a gun.

The chances of you getting a CA DWP are super slim (and it costs around 10,000 bucks iirc).

I am not sure, but I would also think that a C&R SBS would be pretty expensive.... just a guess

Capybara
05-26-2012, 8:00 PM
C&R SBS are hard to find. You have to have a trust or CLEO sign off. Hassle, money and currently you are going to wait 7+ months for the ATF to send you the tax stamp.

MBW
05-26-2012, 8:20 PM
I was thinking i could get a single shot c&r at a gun show for cheap, or if im lucky a side by side and then fill the form out and cut it down when im approved. But realistically in 7 months...uugghh. I think i will still do it because i kind of want the gun now but just make the grip for my 870 and use my 18" barrel for the photo shoot.

Quiet
05-26-2012, 9:56 PM
You can only Form 4 a C&R SBS.
Need to find an existing C&R SBS.

If you take a C&R shotgun and (Form 1) make it into a SBS, it's no longer a C&R because you made a "new" Title 2 firearm.

mmrx2
05-26-2012, 10:02 PM
How about using airsoft for the photos?

Quiet
05-26-2012, 10:19 PM
How about using airsoft for the photos?

He wants muzzle flashes and I'm guessing he does not have the special effects capabilities to edit that into his photos/video.

If you have the post production ability to add special effects to your media, the use of airsoft is ideal. It's what the TV/movie industry has moved towards. Unless you have a big budget to afford real firearms/blanks/insurance, it's less expensive to use airsoft & other props and add in the effects during post production.