PDA

View Full Version : ADCO (Diamond) shotguns? Anyone familiar? O/U super cheap.

JeremyS
05-26-2012, 11:32 AM
I already have a Lanber 2087 that I love, but I have a couple of friends in the market for an O/U and saw this deal from CDNN recently. Price is insane. Anyone heard of these guns?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=151604&stc=1&d=1338060740

Ribkick
05-26-2012, 11:42 AM
You get what you pay for.

JeremyS
05-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Well that's a cute, cliche saying but it's not always the case.

My Lanber has been 100% reliable through a couple thousand rounds, looks great, feels great, shoots great, etc, and was one of the least expensive over/unders anywhere. They have an incredibly good reputation in Europe. When I bought my first CZ, they were half the price of a comparable Sig, HK, or the like, and the quality is second to none.

IMHO, a shotgun is REALLY simple mechanically and I'm not sure what you get for $4,000 for a halfway decent O/U besides pretty wood, and I'm not sure what you get for $12,000 besides pretty Italian wood :p

If you've shot, handled, etc, an ADCO / Diamond arms I'm interested in hearing from you.

Ribkick
05-26-2012, 12:29 PM

Yes it is. And as true as the day is long. You can buy a Timex or you can buy a Patek Philippe. Both tell time. One is more finely fitted and finished.

It depends what you require in a gun. If purely utilitarian okay but if you want something that is personally fitted, made of the finest materials, hand fitted parts and finished to the 9's, you have to pay for it.

JeremyS
05-26-2012, 1:36 PM
Well, you're 100% correct. I appreciate the feedback. I really do. But please understand that it's just completely irrelevant. Nobody considering an off-the-shelf $370 shotgun is debating between that and a bespoke gun. It's just ridiculous. Besides, there's always something nicer. Why would I get some crappy Patek Philippe when I can get a DeLaCour (love the alarm bells at ~2:15 into the video)?

bC9COzSbL9I

Why would I tell somebody asking if a Subaru is a good car at a sale price of $14k -- somebody who is specifically soliciting advice from those who have experience with them -- that they get what they pay for and a Ferrari is a more custom car with better fit and finish? Elitism aside, there's nothing wrong with a Subaru or with a Seiko if you're looking for a reliable car or a for watch that tells reliable time.

Even if you always do get exactly what you pay for: do you get a decent shotgun for $370 freakin' dollars in this case!!?!?!??? I'm seriously NOT concerned if you can get a decent shotgun for a zillion dollars or a better shotgun for ten thousand dollars. Is THIS shotgun worth at least $370? I'm interested in:

ADCO Concerns:

reliability
shoots straight
what chokes fit it? Can you find them?
anomalies with the finish

mikey357
05-26-2012, 2:04 PM
Well, you're 100% correct. I appreciate the feedback. I really do. But please understand that it's just completely irrelevant. Nobody considering an off-the-shelf $370 shotgun is debating between that and a bespoke gun. It's just ridiculous. Besides, there's always something nicer. Why would I get some crappy Patek Philippe when I can get a DeLaCour (love the alarm bells at ~2:15 into the video)?

bC9COzSbL9I

Why would I tell somebody asking if a Subaru is a good car at a sale price of $14k -- somebody who is specifically soliciting advice from those who have experience with them -- that they get what they pay for and a Ferrari is a more custom car with better fit and finish? Elitism aside, there's nothing wrong with a Subaru or with a Seiko if you're looking for a reliable car or a for watch that tells reliable time.

Even if you always do get exactly what you pay for: do you get a decent shotgun for $370 freakin' dollars in this case!!?!?!??? I'm seriously NOT concerned if you can get a decent shotgun for a zillion dollars or a better shotgun for ten thousand dollars. Is THIS shotgun worth at least $370? I'm interested in:

ADCO Concerns:

reliability
shoots straight
what chokes fit it? Can you find them?
anomalies with the finish

Love those minute repeaters, unfortunately its a complication that is out of my price range.

mikey357
05-26-2012, 2:09 PM
I already have a Lanber 2087 that I love, but I have a couple of friends in the market for an O/U and saw this deal from CDNN recently. Price is insane. Anyone heard of these guns?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=151604&stc=1&d=1338060740

Someone on shotgunworld has looked into this

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:n6OHsOdsVmIJ:www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D3%26t%3D292837%26view%3Dnext+a dco+shotguns&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

It's Turkish

.300 Weatherby Mag
05-26-2012, 8:09 PM
I've heard of ADCO... Reviews are mixed... Personally I wouldn't get a gun that if it breaks it becomes a paperweight...

IMHO, a shotgun is REALLY simple mechanically and I'm not sure what you get for $4,000 for a halfway decent O/U besides pretty wood, and I'm not sure what you get for $12,000 besides pretty Italian wood

You get a lot of shotgun for $4,000... Most shotguns in this range will go hundreds of thousands of rounds without needing anything but a good cleaning of the action and trigger mechanism... Something a cheap shotgun will not do... And most expensive Italian shotguns do not have Italian wood on them either... Most of the time its English, French Turkish, or Circassian walnut... For $12,000 you get a gun that will fire millions of rounds if properly cared for and maintained as prescribed by the manufacturer...

Other than CZ, nothing from Turkey is worth a look... Being of Spanish origin, your Lanber will serve you well... Just don't compare it to anything from Turkey (excluding CZ)...

Mana4real
05-26-2012, 9:53 PM
Never heard of it. But I also never heard of Lanber until I picked mine up. Cdnn has done crazy prices. It might be worth buying it as a starter for one of your buds. If they enjoy the sports, they can always pick something else up down the road. I also have a 2087. Love the gun!!

JeremyS
05-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Other than CZ, nothing from Turkey is worth a look... Being of Spanish origin, your Lanber will serve you well... Just don't compare it to anything from Turkey (excluding CZ)...
Isn't CZ just rebranded Huglu? Do you have a high opinion of that company in general, or does CZ actually spec something different from that manufacturer?

.300 Weatherby Mag
05-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Isn't CZ just rebranded Huglu? Do you have a high opinion of that company in general, or does CZ actually spec something different from that manufacturer?

CZ is a re-branded Huglu... But they are definitely held to higher levels of QC and better overall fit and finish... The fit and finish on many of them is good and they seem to last longer than the other Turkish guns... CZs also seem to have better metallurgy which helps them to last longer.. Also, CZs tend to have barrels that are regulated far better than other Turkish guns... I have a high opinion of CZ in general..

JeremyS
05-26-2012, 10:45 PM
I have a high opinion of CZ in general...
Me too. I have a couple CZ pistols and one of my good friends has one of their O/U's (I forget which one, but it has a single trigger). As big of a CZ fanboy as I can be, I've shot his O/U and I prefer my Lanber. Getting the Lanber was a bit of a fluke, actually, as I had ordered a CZ right as it went out of stock and I wasn't willing to wait a couple of months for it. Saw the Lanber deal in CDNN (and it was $450 back when I got it!), did a little research and saw their great reputation in the UK, Australia, etc, and pulled the trigger on it. VERY happy I did. My friend's CZ took a little tuning to get it to function properly (the barrel selector dingleberry was sticking and it sometimes did not fire the second barrel). Not a big deal really, but the Lanber shoots sweet, shoots soft, and hasn't had a single hitch.

Anyway thanks for the opinions! I'll push a Lanber on these buddies as the most budget basement option that should be considered :p

...which reminds me... Getting back to "you get what you pay for," I got more than I paid for out of this Lanber and out of my CZ pistols. Without question, they perform well above their price grades.

alfred1222
05-28-2012, 7:58 AM

My Lanber has been 100% reliable through a couple thousand rounds, looks great, feels great, shoots great, etc, and was one of the least expensive over/unders anywhere. They have an incredibly good reputation in Europe. When I bought my first CZ, they were half the price of a comparable Sig, HK, or the like, and the quality is second to none.

IMHO, a shotgun is REALLY simple mechanically and I'm not sure what you get for $4,000 for a halfway decent O/U besides pretty wood, and I'm not sure what you get for $12,000 besides pretty Italian wood :p

If you've shot, handled, etc, an ADCO / Diamond arms I'm interested in hearing from you.

I disagree, you can't compare a Caesar Guerini to a Lanber. I own both, love both, but they are in two different classes of shotgun. Ribkick is right, you do get what you pay for. If you spend $400 on an over under, well, it won't be as good as you Browning or Caesar Guerini or Perozzi or Hk Fabarm shotgun. The workmanship and quality Just isn't there. Now, if it's a first time gun buyer, or they're just getting into shotguns, I think a cheapo gun is good for them. But make it clear that they ad buying a cheapo gun, and that they should plan on upgrading if they stick with shotgun shooting.

.300 Weatherby Mag
05-28-2012, 8:18 AM
One thing I will tell anyone that will listen about entry O/U shotguns... Is that the Browning Citori Satin Hunter @$1299 is about as cheap as you can get a reliable and quality O/U that will last...

JeremyS
05-28-2012, 9:45 AM
I shot a nice Perazzi at the sporting clays club I was frequenting. Definitely more attention to detail and a smoother action than my Lanber, but I don't think mine is even broken in yet. Didn't shoot any straighter though or feel nicer on my shoulder. The Lanber fits and balances nicely for me. I was never meaning to compare it to a high-end gun. My only question was whether the ADCO worked reliably. Again going back to cars, a Honda Civic doesn't compare to a Ferrari in workmanship, refinement, or quality, but if you are only concerned with a car that will reliably get you to and from work it will suit the purpose just as well. The purpose here is a gun that shoots reliably at a low price point. The fit between the wood and the receiver, the layers of french lacquer on the wood, how perfectly hand-fitted the action parts are... doesn't matter here. Not looking for an heirloom. Looking for literally the least expensive O/U that operates reliably. The Lanber DOES fit this bill and does operate reliably. Sounds like the ADCO is less likely to do this and is more of a risk considering the company's heritage and lack of any factory support thanks to the bankruptcy.

I guess we'll see how many rounds I get out of my Lanber. At least I don't feel bad taking it hunting and not worrying about it in general. By the end of the summer I'll have a few thousand more rounds through it (should be at a good 6k or so) and I don't expect any issues. I don't see any reason why I wouldn't get tens of thousands of reliable rounds out of it like most everyone on the UK and Australian clubs do. It's certainly not a showpiece though compared to a high end Italian gun. The wood isn't there and the bluing isn't there. Again though, I'm not trying to compare it to guns at 3x, 10x, 20x the price point. I'm not concerned with its ability to beat a gun like that head-2-head on any level. It just needs to break clays reliably up to at least the point where I've gotten my $$$ worth. A $370 shotgun does not have to go 100,000 rounds and get passed down to my great grandkid for it to provide me with $370 worth of shooting.