PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for my first AR

caliboy
05-26-2012, 1:14 AM
Hi everyone! Im looking to purchase my first AR in the following months and was hoping to get some suggestions from the pros on what would be best for a first timer. I have been browsing the forum and trying to see what people are shooting but it can get kind of overwhelming with all the different manufacturers out there. I am not completely new to firearms btw. My grandfather and uncles all have a nice collection of firearms and just wanted o start my own collection.

First of all, my budget is in the range of $700-$1300. I first thought about building one but now leaning closer to one already built and just adding a few things to it later on down the road. I am still learning the lingo and all the abbreviations so please forgive me if I ask what DROS and FFL and all that means. LOL!.

Also, when I am ready to purchase, where would be the best place to buy? I am in the south bay and I frequent target masters mostly. Reeds once in a while. I also visit tracy rifles and pistols on occasion. If you all have any suggestions please feel free to post!

TIA and looking forward to spending ALOT of time on here!

Gem1950
05-26-2012, 6:25 AM
3 1/2 years to make your first post?

Get a Colt!

NickLo
05-26-2012, 6:50 AM
I suggest building your AR from the ground up. You will save a few dollars over a finished buy, but more importantly you will learn the inner workings of the rifle.

Calguns has a great tutorial on how to put it all together and its all I used for my first build. http://www.calguns.net/OLL/assembly.html

Just my .02.

caliboy
05-26-2012, 7:21 AM
3 1/2 years to make your first post?

Get a Colt!

Lol, yeah I joined the forum a few years back when I originally thought I was ready for one but plans got derailed. Went back to school instead to work on my degree. Completely forgot I had this account until recently while I was doing research on rifles so here I am! :D I hear very good things about colt.

I suggest building your AR from the ground up. You will save a few dollars over a finished buy, but more importantly you will learn the inner workings of the rifle.

Calguns has a great tutorial on how to put it all together and its all I used for my first build. http://www.calguns.net/OLL/assembly.html

Just my .02.

Thanks for the link NickLo! A plus if I can save a few bucks!

Arkangel
05-26-2012, 11:13 AM
I vote assemble your own, it saves money plus it helps you learn the platform. The budget you have certainly allows a very good set up (No optics) You will learn that MOST (not all)
AR's are very similar, especially forged lowers and uppers. Fit and finish will set them apart the most (although some seem to think because there is a pony on the side, fit and finish can go to hell and it's ok)

INDABZ
05-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Well take a look around.....

DECENT factory rifles cost about 900 bux.....if u want a COLT buy it....

But pix up a few lowers too....chances are you will like shooting the AR-15...and you can build one or two later as you learn....

Dinosaur Jr
05-26-2012, 11:19 AM
I just picked up a Bushmaster XT15 ORC from Turner's. On sale this week for $900. Took it out first time yesterday and it performed flawlessly. Me likey. I'm perfectly happy without the pony. Perhaps I'll do a future build as I become more familiar with the platform.

cmace22
05-26-2012, 11:44 AM
LMT
DD
Colt

Would be my choices but its just my opinion.

icenix
05-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Palmetto State Armory or Bravo Company.

IronColt
05-26-2012, 12:46 PM
you can get a BCM upper and build the lower youself.

jm13690
05-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Spikes Tactical are solid performers and in your price range. You can build your own but that can take a while before you decide what you want on it. If you get a complete rifle now you can upgrade.

I suggest go for a 16" midlength upper. I really have been happy with Spikes, but there are tons of other places out there. You just have to look around.

daybreak
05-26-2012, 2:29 PM
we all know when we tell ourselves $700-1300, it definitely means $1300 ;)

scottunit1
05-26-2012, 2:55 PM
+1 spikes!

jasonnorcal
05-26-2012, 3:05 PM

$1,300 before tax shipping and handling right. Lol. Seriously tho, you can get or build a nice rifle for about 1k. Then you need optics which will quickly blow your budget out of the water. I've had good luck with BCM uppers.

gmcal
05-26-2012, 3:22 PM
For a first build I recommend an upper and MOE lower build kit from palmettostatearmory.com (PSA) for about $563. You'll still need a stripped lower, bolt carrier group (BCG), rear sight, CA compliant parts.

BCG's are getting scarce so you'll probably have to set email alerts from several vendors when they get them in stock, then jump on it. For a rear sight, I prefer and recommend the LMT rear sight and you can find them for about $60. Stripped lowers will usually run $100-$135 before taxes and fees.

That will leave plenty of money for magazines, ammo, and cleaning/maintenance items. But you better hurry, the closer the election gets, the more scarce and expensive gun related items and ammo will get. Good luck.

ETA: The description from psa states that a bcg comes with the upper. I missed that.

icenix
05-26-2012, 3:24 PM

+500

Yeppers!!! And then there is the bipod, scope, etc. later on, lol.

ptgarcia
05-26-2012, 5:58 PM
Just buy a cheap one, shoot it with irons for a while to determine what you like and don't like, then start making changes. Spending $1300 on a first AR not knowing what you want is rediculous.

RobGR
05-26-2012, 6:14 PM
Buy an S&W M&P 15 Sport, buy a ton of ammo from ammoman.com and shoot the crap out of it!

It's a great starter AR at a relatively low price from a reputable manufacturer with excellent customer service.

Done.

Now how to get one b/c everyone wants them. There are some on GB, but the FFL fees and taxes kind of kill the great entry level price of this rifle.

jbush
05-26-2012, 9:42 PM
Looks like Rifle gear has sports in stock. 679 plus fees

toby77
05-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Ditto on DD, Colt, LMT

Agent 0range
05-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Another +1 for assembling your own Spikes if you can find all the parts. Amazing quality and you can easily have a complete rifle (-optics) within your price range. Welcome to Calguns and good luck!

Mossy Man
05-26-2012, 10:18 PM
just threw an M&P15 sport in jail

ckyrulez
05-27-2012, 1:32 PM
just threw an M&P15 sport in jail

Congratulations! I just put a sport in jail yesterday as well.

jdogg2000
05-27-2012, 9:09 PM
With the prices rifles like the M&P Sport are going for these days, I think it's hard to beat buying one assembled and just changing things out as needed down the line. I don't think you're going to be able to build a budget AR with that much quality for such a low price. This is coming from a guy who has built several.

Drivedabizness
05-27-2012, 9:32 PM
With respect to all who have a different view...

Does anyone really know (or need to know) how the inner workin gof their bolt action rifle work? No

Does the military teach how each part of an M16/M4 works? No.

Does a newb need to build his/her own so he/she knows how each part works/goes together? That would be a loud NO.

OP - an M&P Sport would be tough to screw up. You get a top quality rifle with a major manufacturer behind it. You will not EVER outshoot its capabilities unless you start shooting for a living.

Spending $1300 on an experiment that may or may not satisfy your needs (unless money is no object and even then) is just plain dumb.

Yes I said it.

ModernMusket
05-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Building your own is a great way to go. You learn a ton, and you end up with a custom rifle that is 100% yours exactly like you want it. Good luck! -MM

nitroxdiver
05-27-2012, 11:05 PM
I'd suggest a colt sp6920ca M4 carbine, a USGI sling, a case of ammo, a few 10/20 pmags, and a weekend Appleseed shoot. You'll come away understanding your sights, your sling, and some great marksmanship training.
Have fun

mannyo747
05-28-2012, 12:17 AM
I recently picked up a M&P 15 sport. And been having a blast ( pun intended). Your going to learn alot regardless. And which AR you get doesn't matter either once the bug bites you your going to want them all!

artoaster
05-28-2012, 8:21 AM
Something like what I recently built:
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w515/artoaster/myweapon.jpg

caliboy
05-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Thank you all very much for the feedbacks! Wooo looks like I have some research and comparing to do! BTW, what does "put in Jail" mean? besides the obvious? lol :D

Pimpin007
05-29-2012, 1:53 PM
"put in jail" means started DROS, the 10 day California waiting period before you can pick the firearm up and take it home after purchasing.

marcusrn
05-29-2012, 11:03 PM
+1 to PSA and Spikes uppers.

scglock
05-29-2012, 11:07 PM
For my first ar, I built the lower and bought a complete upper. I suggest building it, you'll learn a lot

stix213
05-29-2012, 11:22 PM
A typical LEGO set is more complicated than building your own AR using a complete upper. You'll have more pride in it if you do a build yourself, but nothing wrong with buying a ready built rifle. The M&P 15 sport as already mentioned above, seems to be a good choice for someone starting out, and it has had good reviews both here and on the interwebs.

EddieEd
05-30-2012, 3:54 AM
Congratulations! I just put a sport in jail yesterday as well.

These things seem to be flying off the shelf.
I went to pick up my S&W M&P 45 on Sat the 26 and they had the M&P 15 sport there. Saw a guy looking at one and he was saying he will come by later this week to but money down on it (they said they had 10 coming in and 5 where already spoken for). I didnít have enough to buy it right then but I put one on layaway since they had that option.
I just call them ten days before I want to pick it up and then pay the rest. Couldnít pass that up.
Everywhere I call that carry these, they just seem to go quick. From what Iíve read itís a great rifle for the price.
If later you just much have the dust cover and F/A then you can always buy another upper to use on the M&P 15 lower. You can change any part you want if you get tried of how it looks (except for the trigger guard). It works the same as any other AR15. That works for me.

tuna quesadilla
05-30-2012, 4:00 AM
This is my advice to you.

Cruise the classifieds on this forum and find a USED basic Colt, Daniel Defense, LMT, BCM, PSA, S&W, Armalite, or Spike's rifle. Listed in order of preference. ;)

That way you start off with a very dependable rifle, capable of being upgraded to your heart's content (that's the beauty of AR15s) and if you end up not liking it or wanting to get a different style of AR15, you can sell it off for about as much as you put into it (it was used, after all).

Brands to avoid: DPMS, Bushmaster, Del-Ton, Model 1 Sales.

There IS a reason why some rifles are $679 and some rifles are $1099 for what seems like exactly the same rifle... and it's NOT because the $679 rifle is just as good ;)

daybreak
05-30-2012, 7:15 AM
building a lower REALLY is as easy as people say it is. If your budget is $1300, it's definitely worth it to piece together your own rifle, IMO.

You also can't go wrong with BCM, Daniel Defense, or Colt if their reputations live up to their hype. I went with PSA and I am very happy with where I spent my money.

ZX-10R
05-30-2012, 10:15 AM
For that price? Colt or DD...Congrats on the degree.

I have a Daniel Defense and love it a friend just got one. I am now hopping to get a Colt...However, I was cleared for purchase for a Beretta M9A1 so I have to wait.

Agent Tikki
05-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Wrote a little ditty just 4 you!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=555451

Please post a reply if you like what I've done!

gant
05-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Wrote a little ditty just 4 you!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=555451

Please post a reply if you like what I've done!

Link to ditty does not work

nitroxdiver
05-30-2012, 1:08 PM
Caliboy, Tracy Rifle and pistol just got some Colts in. Haul *** over there before they sell them all ;-)

teebiss
05-31-2012, 5:40 AM
Tracy Rifle and Pistol

Those guys have competitive prices and great service. I can't recommend them enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD