PDA

View Full Version : Most accurate revolver?

nightwolf0215
05-26-2012, 1:03 AM
What is the most accurate DA/SA revolver out of the box? I have heard a lot of different opinion, but I cant pin down which one.

Custom don't count.

ZirconJohn
05-26-2012, 1:19 AM
For me it's the S&W M29 .44MAG 8 3/8 BBL

Serious... not trying to be funny.

nightwolf0215
05-26-2012, 1:38 AM
Ive seen that on the list. What really determines the differences between revolvers anyways. Ive seen Dan Wesson, S&W, etc etc. I just want something that shoots accurate, reliable, and cheap.

If it has a nice modern look to it will be cool

PEZHEAD265
05-26-2012, 5:55 AM
Ive seen that on the list. What really determines the differences between revolvers anyways. Ive seen Dan Wesson, S&W, etc etc. I just want something that shoots accurate, reliable, and cheap.

That is a very broad question.What are you using it for?How big of a cal. do you want??Being accurate with a revolver depends on your shooting skills.You can ask 100 different people that same question and get about 50 to a 100 different answers.

TKM
05-26-2012, 7:02 AM
Freedom Arms.

den888
05-26-2012, 7:39 AM
My S&W 686 and Ruger Blackhawk were both very accurate. More accurate than I am!

BamBam-31
05-26-2012, 8:01 AM
Python.

lrj812
05-26-2012, 8:02 AM
If accuracy is important go for the longer barreled versions. I have a SW 686 with 6" barrel very accurate (for a pistol). Longer barrel gives longer sightline.

Compared to my CZ75B (considered a very accurate semi auto), my 686 will win the accuracy challenge, pretty easily.

eggsucker
05-26-2012, 8:09 AM
S&W Performance center guns have been pretty uniformly awesome.

speedrrracer
05-26-2012, 8:26 AM
http://www.korthusa.com/revolver_en.htm#

might be worth looking into

JTROKS
05-26-2012, 8:28 AM
Freedom Arms most definitely!

shooting4life
05-26-2012, 9:26 AM
Freedom arms by far.

ap3572001
05-26-2012, 9:26 AM
The most accurate revolver I ever shot is my Colt Officers Model Match 6th issue 38spl. from 1970.

5 shot group fired off hand with Federal factory ammo into an inch at 25 yards.

Socalman
05-26-2012, 9:40 AM
Too many variables in the question. My Ruger GP 100 in .357 can shoot very accurate groups. However those groups don't come with my finger on the trigger! As stated, yo want an accurate handgun, get the longest barrel you can.

Bottom line, practice, practice, practice.

pennys dad
05-26-2012, 9:55 AM
most accurate is a relative request. What is the purpose, is it a plinker or a hunter, is it a back up gun or a home defense gun, do you want to shoot 500 S&W or 22lr.

I have a 686 357 that is accurate and I have a Ruger single six that is accurate, I have a 625 in 45 cal that is accurate, what is accurate?

For accurate, reliable and cheap get a 22lr revolver and have fun.

glockman19
05-26-2012, 9:57 AM
I vote for S&W revolvers...they have a tight lockup, and great trigger.

RedFord150
05-26-2012, 10:22 AM
...I just want something that shoots accurate, reliable, and cheap. ...

These 3 things do not go together.
I think Ruger makes the most durable revolvers. IMHO, this makes Ruger the most reliable.
I believe S&W has a nicer trigger and action out of the box and a very competent Gunsmith once told me he really likes Rugers, but he can tune an S&W just a little tighter for competition. This makes S&W the most accurate.
Taurus and Charter Arms both build revolvers that are cheap, but are not as accurate or as reliable as Ruger or S&W.
Rauhaugges in Norco has their outdoor sports fair on 6-1, 6-2, and 6-3. This is a great place to shoot a bunch of guns for a very reasonable price. Turners sponsors the fair and will probably have some great specials.

Bastard
05-26-2012, 11:14 AM
just about any modern out of the box gun will be just as accurate & probably out shoot you;
you have heard a lot of different opinions probably because everyone will have a different one.
just find something you like, or find a couple & the find a range that will let you rent them or ask around & see if someone here will let you shoot theirs.

***lets see how much crap I get for this

Legasat
05-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Which ever one you practice with the most, is the most accurate one.

Chameleon Loco
05-26-2012, 12:42 PM
The most accurate revolver I shot was my dads smith and wesson 8 3/8 Model 29-2 revolver. Usually the longer the barrel the more accurate it is.

CSACANNONEER
05-26-2012, 12:48 PM
"Accuracy" ONLY has to do with how the sights are adjusted. So, any make/model can be just as "accurate" as any other.

Oneaudiopro
05-26-2012, 1:05 PM
Alot of variables here but in general longer barrel lengths ie. 6" vs 4" are going to be more accurate and revolvers are usually going to be more accurate than a semi auto. As far as cheap goes, I think "reasonably priced" may be a more accurate term to consider instead. I think $500-$800 would be a decent range to offer yourself a few nice choices. Good luck!

Ribkick
05-26-2012, 1:16 PM
S&W M27, 8-3/8".

Baconator
05-26-2012, 1:22 PM
http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/1873_revolver_carbine.jpg

nightwolf0215
05-26-2012, 1:41 PM
Seems like the most accurate one that I can shoot will be the one with the smoothest DA pull and decently long barrel. The gun is for HD and range use. I tried out the 686 and ruger gp100 today. Seems like the ruger has nicer trigger pull.

Anyone has experience with Chiappa Rhino?

ojisan
05-26-2012, 1:42 PM
Assuming the sights are properly aligned and the trigger puller is up to speed, accuracy in a revolver is based on:
- Chambers properly aligned with the barrel.
- Chambers that hold the loaded rounds properly aligned with the barrel.
- Chamber mouths just a couple thousands of an inch larger then the bullet so the bullet stays aligned with the barrel after it leaves the case.
- Forcing cone that is just a thousands or two smaller than the bullet, with no reduced diameter area following where the threads of the barrel screw into the frame.
- Correct diameter barrel to match the bullet diameter after it passes through the forcing cone.
- Clean and true end of the barrel / crown

Ths attention to sizing and precision maching is not usually found in lower priced revolvers.

Whiterabbit
05-26-2012, 1:45 PM
Check out BFR's. There are lots of very tight group targets out there from folks who shoot BFR's. They guarantee the revolvers at 2" at 50 yards from the factory. And they cost less than a freedom.

Bastard
05-26-2012, 1:55 PM
Check out BFR's. There are lots of very tight group targets out there from folks who shoot BFR's. They guarantee the revolvers at 2" at 50 yards from the factory. And they cost less than a freedom.
BFR as in Magnum Research BFR?
yeah, get one of those... I just want to see someone shoot it & not on youtube

Whiterabbit
05-26-2012, 3:26 PM
Do you shoot at metcalf? You ever see a dorky lanky guy shooting black powder on the weekends, ask to shoot his. He brings ridiculous quantities of ammo to the range when he shoots his bfr.

Wombats Are Dangerous
05-26-2012, 4:55 PM
http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/1873_revolver_carbine.jpg

Like Bell Telephone used to say, you could "Reach out and touch someone" with that pistol, Baconator. :p

CGT80
05-27-2012, 12:47 AM
My S&W 460 8 3/8" is the most accurate I have shot. I haven't put it through any long range practice though. I can hit a target at 7 yards or 40 yards with a dead center hold. The quality is great on the S&W. Mine has only seen my own hand loads. Part of the success may be the weight of the gun and quality of the trigger and fit of the gun. The speed of the bullet may help as well. My light loads of 1000-1100 fps are very accurate and very tame in this gun. My dads smith 38spl has a short barrel, awkward grip, and I load light for it (700 fps IIRC). It isn't good for longer distances. The 460 is claimed to be a flat shooter from 50-250 yards. I'm sure it is much better than me. I also really like the sights on the 460.

I made up some pet loads for a 44 mag single action ruger, but I didn't feel the accuracy was quite as good. I also didn't like the fit of the single action grip to my hand. The gun has to fit and work with the shooter.

Fishslayer
05-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Freedom Arms most definitely!

Freedom arms by far.

No real idea which is "most accurate" but I know my friend's FA in .454 Casull has so far been the most accurate for me. Shooting it definitely left me wanting one of my own. Awesome revolver.

EDIT: Oops. Missed the DA/SA part.:o

In that case a 5" S&W 629 DX

The Gleam
05-27-2012, 10:57 AM
What is the most accurate DA/SA revolver out of the box? I have heard a lot of different opinion, but I cant pin down which one.

Custom don't count.

While many of the S&W Performance Center guns rank at the top, you might consider that "custom" just as with the Colt Pythons, because many were handfitted, tested, and re-fitted, etc. Does one consider a "silhouette" gun custom?

I also tend to think that while most replies indicate Smiths in .44MAG or other large calibers, basic accuracy is lost on most shooters due to the higher-power cartridge. So revolvers in smaller calibers with higher power cartridge loads would be more accurate due to ability to repeatedly control the firearm.

But if discussing "standard" utilitarian guns, any revolver manufacturers' best offerings are closely tied (being fixed barrel, it's a bit easier to make a revolver accurate), but the most accurate revolver I ever shot that was not a "custom" gun and would be considered a production gun was a Manurhin MR73 with target sights.

Low-Pressure
05-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Out of the revolvers I've shot, I had the best grouping with my friends S&W 629 6".

BigDogatPlay
05-27-2012, 5:02 PM
Most any quality revolver is capable of more accuracy than most shooters can give. Lock them into a Ransom Rest one by one and you'd quickly see.

So much has to do with familiarity. My K frame revolvers are insanely accurate in my hands, but I've been shooting K frames for more than 30 years.

The most inherently accurate revolver I ever owned was an 8 3/8 inch S&W Model 57. I scoped it for hunting and it would cloverleaf groups into an inch and a half at 50 yards off a rest. I felt more than comfortable taking off hand shots at 100 yards with it.

JTROKS
06-01-2012, 1:51 AM
I had a 586 6" barrel. I currently have a 586 with an 8" barrel and a 686P 6" and my 6" GP100 SS beats them all in the accuracy department with most of the hand loads I fed them.

redcliff
06-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Due to the barrel/shroud design keeping the end of the barrel under tension, reducing barrel whip, the Dan Wesson revolvers were famous for their accuracy (or precision to be exact and to keep CSACannoneer happy) and were the revolver of choice for Silhouette shooting back in the day.

Most well built revolvers though can outshoot the shooter however. I've seen even Colt SAA's produce very impressive results when modified with decent sights and shooting handloads.

bandook
06-01-2012, 11:52 AM
For HD/Range: Best Bang for your buck = a 6 inch 38/357 GP100 (with adjustable sights).

Get it new (little less bang for your buck) for peace of mind unless you know what to check for in a used revolver.

(almost) Anything is going to accurate enough inside the house.

DArBad
06-01-2012, 12:25 PM

Op, that is a tall order for us Calgunner members.

An older Smith and Wesson 686 without lock? Maybe an older Colt Python or Trooper? How about the Ruger GP 100??

I am tempted to also mention the Freedom Arms---they are accurate & reliable but not cheap and are single action only (you wanted DA/SA).

I don't know, I have to think some more:confused:

BretByron
06-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Tied-t1fFsk

snafu510
06-01-2012, 1:00 PM
From what I've read, for accuracy you can't beat a S&W model 16 (K-32). Of course you can't find one either. And if you do find one, most can't afford it. There's one on gunsamerica for $1999 right now.

I do have a Model 14 (K-38) and with wadcutters it's very accurate. If you want cheap, reliable and accurate it's probably the best bet.

em9sredbeam
06-01-2012, 1:18 PM
My S&W 460 8 3/8" is the most accurate I have shot. I haven't put it through any long range practice though. I can hit a target at 7 yards or 40 yards with a dead center hold. The quality is great on the S&W. Mine has only seen my own hand loads. Part of the success may be the weight of the gun and quality of the trigger and fit of the gun. The speed of the bullet may help as well. My light loads of 1000-1100 fps are very accurate and very tame in this gun. My dads smith 38spl has a short barrel, awkward grip, and I load light for it (700 fps IIRC). It isn't good for longer distances. The 460 is claimed to be a flat shooter from 50-250 yards. I'm sure it is much better than me. I also really like the sights on the 460.

I made up some pet loads for a 44 mag single action ruger, but I didn't feel the accuracy was quite as good. I also didn't like the fit of the single action grip to my hand. The gun has to fit and work with the shooter.

YOU will have to get me your load data. I second what he is saying, for a cannon it has been very accurate, I have shot mine, no scope from a bench rest with some 200gr ftx at 2200 fps and it was hitting the target I was shooting without any guess work. Up close the thing is great and a nail driver with 45 colt and 454 casull.

Also the 686 6" 357/38 that for a more common caliber has been awesome. Hell, even my taurus 617 snubby up close is great. Unless you are shooting a loose piece of garbage I think its more about the shooter than the gun.

22popnsplat
06-01-2012, 6:20 PM
Freedom Arms.

my favorite

c.davis419
06-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Out of all my revolvers, my very favorite is my prelock S&W 686 w 6" barrel. I have probably put 5,000+ rounds through it and it still performs perfectly with tight groupings every time.