PDA

View Full Version : Lowest recoil 12ga?

tpuig
05-25-2012, 11:50 PM
I took three of my shotguns to the range the other day and shot quite a few rounds of trap. Not surprisingly, I was a bit sore the next day. Ads in the magazines all claim to have the fastest, smoothest and lightest recoiling guns out there. I'm sure they are better than my old O/Us and pumps, but which are really the lowest in terms of recoil? The absolute worst is my old single shot H&R... (I currently own a Remington 1100 Magnum, but it doesn't function well with low power rounds. Turkey loads and other magnum stuff, it cycles fine, but those really kick my butt.)

Although they are out of my budget right now, I'd like to get a semi auto for some trap and probably field (mostly pheasant) someday. In general, which has a lower recoil? Gas or inertia? is there much difference? I know folks that swear by both. And of course I realize it's mostly personal preference.
I've handled but not shot the Browning Maxus, Winchester X3(?) and Beretta A-400 Xplor, and would like to check out the new Browning A5 when it hits the stores. I shot a Benelli in Italy a few years ago and liked it quite a bit, but can't recall the model. Lots to choose from, but what to get...

AK all day
05-26-2012, 12:01 AM
Bahahaha the AA12 has pretty damn low recoil.

Mana4real
05-26-2012, 7:09 AM
Before buying a new gun, try a limb saver recoil pad. It really makes a difference.

mikey357
05-26-2012, 7:24 AM
I took three of my shotguns to the range the other day and shot quite a few rounds of trap. Not surprisingly, I was a bit sore the next day. Ads in the magazines all claim to have the fastest, smoothest and lightest recoiling guns out there. I'm sure they are better than my old O/Us and pumps, but which are really the lowest in terms of recoil? The absolute worst is my old single shot H&R... (I currently own a Remington 1100 Magnum, but it doesn't function well with low power rounds. Turkey loads and other magnum stuff, it cycles fine, but those really kick my butt.)

Although they are out of my budget right now, I'd like to get a semi auto for some trap and probably field (mostly pheasant) someday. In general, which has a lower recoil? Gas or inertia? is there much difference? I know folks that swear by both. And of course I realize it's mostly personal preference.
I've handled but not shot the Browning Maxus, Winchester X3(?) and Beretta A-400 Xplor, and would like to check out the new Browning A5 when it hits the stores. I shot a Benelli in Italy a few years ago and liked it quite a bit, but can't recall the model. Lots to choose from, but what to get...

Gas has less recoil over inertia. A new gun may be out of your budget now but Im thinking your 1100 can be modified to fire lighter loads. It has a non compensating gas system but opening the gas ports will allow for more gas to cycle light loads. I'm thinking instead of a new gun, you can get away with a new barrel and perhaps springs.

BigDogatPlay
05-26-2012, 8:07 AM
As above, gas operated will deliver the least recoil of any shotgun operating system. Single and double barrel guns will give you the most recoil energy. Weight of the gun helps absorb recoil. H&R single barrels weigh almost nothing, hence they give the shooter plenty of recoil energy. An A-5 is about the hardest kicking semi-auto of all as it is recoil operated. An 1100 will be among the lightest recoiling.

Do not fuss with the gas ports on an 1100. Regardless of magnum receiver it should cycle just fine with just about any load at 1150 fps or greater. 1150 fps is the range of 1 1/4 ounce of shot 2 3/4 dram equivalent clay loads from Remington, Federal, Winchester and most other makers. I don't see what kind of barrel you are running on the 1100. I run a 28 inch light contour, vent rib and choke tubes barrel on my 1100 and it runs perfectly on those types of loads, preferring Federal over all.

1100s like to be kept clean and dry on the action bar / mag tube. I detail clean mine every 500 shots or so. What kind of condition is your gun in?

How many is quite a few rounds of trap? It's easy to shoot 200 shots or more at a registered shoot, and there usually aren't that many sore shoulders. The reason for that is that the shooters are mounting the gun properly. All the pads in the world won't save you from soreness if you aren't mounting the gun properly to your shoulder.

Get your set up checked on by an instructor. Depending on the condition of the factory pad you can get it changed out to a Kickeez, Pachmayr Decellerator or Limbsaver easily enough. I use Kickeez on my clay guns, for what it's worth.

jeffrice6
05-26-2012, 9:11 AM
My FN SLP soaks up quite a bit of recoil.

PanaDP
05-26-2012, 9:23 AM
The best you're going to get is a hunting length semi-automatic with a limbsaver loaded with 2-3/4" shells.

12gauge12
05-26-2012, 10:41 AM
My Maxus shoots considerably softer than an 1100. I would recommend it.

Ubermcoupe
05-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Recoil pad and padded vest may help (+ advil)
http://www.gamaliel.com/images/BA240S_L.jpg

Im surprised to hear the 1100 was kicking your behind. How many rounds were you shooting several hundred?

HonkingAntelope
05-26-2012, 10:57 AM
As others said, a different recoil pad or a pad you wear over your shoulder might help without breaking the bank. Unfortunately, failure to cycle with lower-power loads is a problem common to most semi-autos.

MossbergMan
05-26-2012, 11:28 AM

It has been my experience that you most likely didn't have the stock mounted correctly or the stock is too long for your body shape.
Before trying to buy less recoil have you any professional shotgun training? If your shoulder (Joint) was sore, you didn't have the gun mounted right. Any bruising? if so where.
PM me, perhaps I can elaborate alittle more and get you some relief.

GettoPhilosopher
05-26-2012, 11:33 AM
My Saiga 12 is pretty danged soft shooting. :)

tpuig
05-26-2012, 11:58 AM
I love Limbsavers. But I've got over a dozen older shotguns that while fun, aren't ideal for trap. I might put a Limbsaver on my Superposed, but overall I've had an auto on my wish list for a while. 250 rounds with the Browning is still a bit punishing. Guessing that a nice semi is going to run me $1500-2k so it won't be right away. I rotate the fleet, so to speak and don't have anything in the safe I don't shoot.

Before buying a new gun, try a limb saver recoil pad. It really makes a difference.

tpuig
05-26-2012, 12:09 PM
The 1100 is in very good shape, but I've never been able to get it to cycle anything but magnum loads. I brought 3 different barrels to the range and tried various loads, but still nothing but a single shot with a failure to kick out the hull. Before I blame the gun, I want to make sure I'm not doing something obviously wrong. I've double checked the assembly and put in new O rings, cleaned it, and everything looks fine.

Two of the barrels are 3", so I won't expect those to shoot #8 3/4 dram 2.75 loads. But the dual port barrel that says 2 3/4" shells should work. It didn't, with various loads. 3/4, 1, and 1 1/4 dram, shot numbering from 9 down to #4.

It's gotta be something simple that I'm missing, because the gun works flawlessly with magnum loads, but I'm not about to shoot those for trap... ;-)

Right now the 1100 is my designated goose and turkey gun, and I don't mind that. I'd just like yet another shotgun, and this one should be a semi that I can use for trap. Not dedicated to it. I typically wear a Browning shirt with the gel recoil pad insert. But on a long day I can shoot 150 to 200 rounds.

CSACANNONEER
05-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Proper fit will eliminate a good chunk of the perceived recoil. Get someone in the know to check the fit and how you are mounting it.

Speedpower
05-26-2012, 1:24 PM
I have 3 shotguns and the lowest recoil out of all 3 is my Remington Versamax.

mikey357
05-26-2012, 1:50 PM
The 1100 is in very good shape, but I've never been able to get it to cycle anything but magnum loads. I brought 3 different barrels to the range and tried various loads, but still nothing but a single shot with a failure to kick out the hull. Before I blame the gun, I want to make sure I'm not doing something obviously wrong. I've double checked the assembly and put in new O rings, cleaned it, and everything looks fine.

Two of the barrels are 3", so I won't expect those to shoot #8 3/4 dram 2.75 loads. But the dual port barrel that says 2 3/4" shells should work. It didn't, with various loads. 3/4, 1, and 1 1/4 dram, shot numbering from 9 down to #4.

It's gotta be something simple that I'm missing, because the gun works flawlessly with magnum loads, but I'm not about to shoot those for trap... ;-)

Right now the 1100 is my designated goose and turkey gun, and I don't mind that. I'd just like yet another shotgun, and this one should be a semi that I can use for trap. Not dedicated to it. I typically wear a Browning shirt with the gel recoil pad insert. But on a long day I can shoot 150 to 200 rounds.

Check gas port size
http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/Remington58_1100.htm

tpuig
05-26-2012, 1:57 PM
Great link. Thanks!

Check gas port size
http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/Remington58_1100.htm

Mana4real
05-26-2012, 5:35 PM
I love Limbsavers. But I've got over a dozen older shotguns that while fun, aren't ideal for trap. I might put a Limbsaver on my Superposed, but overall I've had an auto on my wish list for a while. 250 rounds with the Browning is still a bit punishing. Guessing that a nice semi is going to run me $1500-2k so it won't be right away. I rotate the fleet, so to speak and don't have anything in the safe I don't shoot.

I had the same problem. While my Winchester 101 fixed full chokes works great for trap. I wanted to get into skeet. I then bought a Lanber O/U. I can shoot that thing all day. I shot seven rounds of skeet today and 10 last weekend. I'm not a dedicated gun kinda guy. I'm not rich, so I make due and I'm happy with what I can afford. I'm lucky my wife is all for me enjoying shotgun sports.

TZL
05-26-2012, 9:18 PM
Beretta A400 Xtreme....super soft