PDA

View Full Version : Feed Ramp Problem? Pictures inside

fatcircles
05-25-2012, 11:36 PM
I just finished building my AR a little while back and tried test feeding one round to make sure it would feed properly. (In a safe location).

Instead of leaving the bolt locked open and slamming the bullet after dropping the bolt lock (and potentially causing harm to the gun and myself) I pulled the bolt back, put the magazine in, and pushed the bolt forward to feed the bullet into the chamber.

It hit the feed ramp and basically got stuck, and it would not go further. I am not sure if this is because the bullet is not at the right angle because of the way the D&H 10rd mag is sitting in the receiver, because of the feed ramp, or because I just did not use enough force when pushing the bolt forward.

After taking the magazine out I looked at the tip of the bullet and there were some gouges in the tip of the bullet.

You can see the mark on the feed ramp where the bullet initially touched, and also the level that the bullet is sitting. Does this look wrong to anyone? Do I just need to drop the bolt? I don't have snap caps so I didn't want to drop the bolt and have something go wrong, although now I obviously know that the next step is to get some snap caps and try it that way.

I just didn't want to find out the harder way that something is not aligned right after dropping the bolt with the bolt release and really ****ing something up.

MrPlink
05-25-2012, 11:41 PM
so, let me get this straight:

1) you are function testing with live ammo

2) you rode the bolt in and are surprised that it did not feed correctly?

while we are here, do you have any questions about mag magnets or bumpfire stocks?

AfghanVetOrcutt
05-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Let the bolt 'slam' forward, you will not damage your weapon, I promise.

fatcircles
05-25-2012, 11:47 PM
Snap caps and dropping the bolt it is then! Thanks for confirming one suspicion MrPlink

fatcircles
05-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Let the bolt 'slam' forward, you will not damage your weapon, I promise.

I was more worried about slamming it forward if (for some reason) things weren't aligned right. I have shot numerous ARs before, I have just never shot a brand new one after it never being function checked beforehand.

loosewreck

while we are here, do you have any questions about mag magnets or bumpfire stocks?

^^^:smilielol5:

OP, get some of these so you can fondle and function test your rifle safely and properly at home.

http://www.amazon.com/A-Zoom-Precision-Snap-Caps-Pack/dp/B002IEE7KU

http://www.amazon.com/5-56-Dummy-ammo-dummy-bullets/dp/B007NLDITY

mdib870
you can function test with live ammo just remove the firing pin

AfghanVetOrcutt
05-25-2012, 11:53 PM
I understand being careful with a weapon but it is exactly what it is. It is a weapon, a weapon is a tool, a tool is meant to be used and abused. If you want a museum piece buy one and put it on your wall. If you want a weapon you can use and be proficient with, use it and don't worry about the scratches and dings. Trust me, M4s/AR15s will still work, regardless how many scratches/dings it has it in, even if the BCG is dinged. My M4 had a dinged BCG and it still fired, the ding was not major but totally noticeable. After carrying them through 2 deployments to Afghanistan I have total respect for the design, they work in everything but mud.

NivekJaySki
05-26-2012, 2:10 AM
^^^:smilielol5:

OP, get some of these so you can fondle and function test your rifle safely and properly at home.

Function testing your rifle with dummy rounds is as fun as playing with your own pecker. :43:

Arkangel
05-26-2012, 7:30 AM
Function testing your rifle with dummy rounds is as fun as playing with your own pecker. :43:

LOL....

As others have said, get some training ammo and don't baby the gun.

CIV Tactical
05-26-2012, 7:45 AM

Thank you! I was just going to suggest this. I just function tested 200 rounds through one of my AK's. I just take out the firing pin because im not buying 200 snap caps:D

NewbieDave
05-26-2012, 12:03 PM
I do function test at the range with live ammo. If it doesnt work, fix there and function test again :)

SJgunguy24
05-26-2012, 4:36 PM

True, but you should always mark that ammo and double check it if you plan to shoot it. Sometimes there can be bullet set back which can increase pressure and cause a kaboom.

Dhena81
05-26-2012, 5:57 PM
OP don't worry about damaging your weapon there is nothing you can do by reciprocating your action to harm it that would be as violent as shooting it.

Solidux
05-26-2012, 6:04 PM
Thats what i usually do to function test. Take out the firing pin. Stare at it to make sure it doesnt have a crazy bcm daniel defense gunfighting 4.0 back up firing pin. Keep weapon on safe and things sticking out away from trigger.

I have a bunch of fired blank rounds i do the tests with now. I still take the firing pin out though when weapons are in safe for long periods of time.

Oh. And let the bolt slam forward anytime you want. Unless its made from glock because then it will blow up when you push the bolt release

Army
05-26-2012, 6:11 PM
NOOOOOO!!!

The firing pin keeps the bolt cam pin aligned and unable to rotate. When (not if) it does, the carrier will be solidly locked in place. Sometimes so tightly that the receiver is ruined.

If you insist on it, get another firing pin and grind off 1/8" of the tip. Now you can function check all you want with no worry of live ammo.

DO NOT ALLOW THE BOLT TO SLAM FORWARD WITHOUT A SNAP CAP, DUMMY ROUND, OR LIVE AMMO!!

This forces steel to impact steel, eventually causing chips and/or cracks. Yes, yes, I know we've all done since basic training, but remember how crappy those boot camp rifles were? Do you want YOUR thousand dollar rifle to work or look like that?

Solidux
05-26-2012, 6:28 PM
Im pretty sure releasing the bolt on an empty chamber doesnt really harm the bcg. The violent action of simply firing 1 round is exponential kinetic force compared to bolt release.

Its like the whole dry firing debate. The metal lethargy our rifles are made of isnt the same as pots and pans

george223
05-27-2012, 11:32 AM
What Army said.

I make my own dummy rounds using a kinetic bullet puller. Pull the bullet apart, empty powder, chamber empty brass and pull the trigger, re-assembly as dummy bullet in vice (or reloading press). Cheap and easy.

gunnerstuff
05-27-2012, 12:14 PM
What Army said.

I make my own dummy rounds using a kinetic bullet puller. Pull the bullet apart, empty powder, chamber empty brass and pull the trigger, re-assembly as dummy bullet in vice (or reloading press). Cheap and easy.

+1

Simple, cheap, easy and SAFE!!!

fatcircles
05-27-2012, 3:31 PM
Turns out it was the magazines, even though they got so many good reviews. The pmags worked fine

GettoPhilosopher
05-27-2012, 5:06 PM
What Army said.

As long as you make damned sure you can tell the difference between real and dummy rounds. I'm sorry, this just sounds like a "don't worry, it's a dummy round! *BANG*" ND waiting to happen.

It's a friggin rifle. You're not going to hurt it. I've hit the bolt release on an empty mag and dryfired hundreds if not thousands of times over the years, never had any problems or damage or anything.

I've also cycled hundreds of rounds (some of them 10+ times) with the rifle set to safe and my normal firing pin and later shot them with no ill effects. Though if I see a round is excessively set back, I'll discard it.

And to the OP, that's what you get for riding the bolt forward. Even the forward assist isn't designed to fully cycle the BCG; it's merely designed to push the BCG that last 0.5" if it gets stuck. Yank the charging handle back and let go. :P

Solidux
05-27-2012, 6:08 PM
What Army said.

The primer still goes bang

LAL6
05-27-2012, 6:18 PM
I'd double check to make sure your ramps on the barrel extension don't overhang the receiver ramps. That can cause a lot of grief, it happened to me once.

MUKAK
05-27-2012, 6:35 PM
i agree with cuttin a little off the firing pin off.. but i dont c any problems of charging the AR and letting it go..

NOOOOOO!!!

The firing pin keeps the bolt cam pin aligned and unable to rotate. When
(not if) it does, the carrier will be solidly locked in place. Sometimes so tightly that the receiver is ruined.

If you insist on it, get another firing pin and grind off 1/8" of the tip. Now you can function check all you want with no worry of live ammo.

DO NOT ALLOW THE BOLT TO SLAM FORWARD WITHOUT A SNAP CAP, DUMMY ROUND, OR LIVE AMMO!!

This forces steel to impact steel, eventually causing chips and/or cracks. Yes, yes, I know we've all done since basic training, but remember how crappy those boot camp rifles were? Do you want YOUR thousand dollar rifle to work or look like that?

Dreaded Claymore
05-27-2012, 7:09 PM
Thats what i usually do to function test. Take out the firing pin. Stare at it to make sure it doesnt have a crazy bcm daniel defense gunfighting 4.0 back up firing pin. Keep weapon on safe and things sticking out away from trigger.

:rofl: I have not laughed so hard all week. Thank you! :thumbsup:

george223
05-27-2012, 7:42 PM
The primer still goes bang

By the way, there is nothing dangerous about discharging a primer in an empty case unless you aim it at your eyeball. Don't re-assemble a dummy round unless the primer is discharged.

[QUOTE=GettoPhilosopher]
As long as you make damned sure you can tell the difference between real and dummy rounds. I'm sorry, this just sounds like a "don't worry, it's a dummy round! *BANG*" ND waiting to happen.

Easy, don't store your dummy rounds with your live rounds. If you can't tell the difference between a dummy round and a liive round, I don't know what to tell you. Drill some holes through the dummy round if that makes it easier.

Cycling live ammo though your rifle when you are not in a safe place to shoot is an accident waiting to happen.

GettoPhilosopher
05-27-2012, 8:40 PM

Easy, don't store your dummy rounds with your live rounds. If you can't tell the difference between a dummy round and a liive round, I don't know what to tell you. Drill some holes through the dummy round if that makes it easier.

Cycling live ammo though your rifle when you are not in a safe place to shoot is an accident waiting to happen.

So....you'd rather stick what for all intents and purposes looks JUST like a live round (minus the dented primer) into a rifle in your house and pull the trigger than load the rifle as it was intended?

No man, *I* don't know what to tell *you*. How exactly are you supposed to load your rifle then? Go to the range, load it, then drive it (illegally) home while loaded?

colossians323
05-28-2012, 6:58 AM

thats a really helpful post for someone looking for help with only 50 posts:rolleyes:

duc748bip
05-28-2012, 8:28 AM
Really..removing firing pin to function test is not a good idea. You don't want to drop the hammer thinking you had the pin out and get a nasty surprise. Just get a few dummy round. If you are function testing it's a less of a problem if the rifle get jammed with a dummy then a live round.

fatcircles
05-28-2012, 9:40 AM
I don't know why people are still arguing. I got dummy rounds. Like I said IT WAS THE MAGAZINES causing the problem, every time I tried to load rounds with those ones it didn't work, even with dropping the bolt back. With the Pmags it worked every time.

edwardjames
05-28-2012, 7:54 PM
c'mon bro you're making us AR guys look bad in front of the AK guys.... now they are going to use it against us!:80: