PDA

View Full Version : Home Defense Ammo 12ga

ezko84
05-25-2012, 11:10 PM
What is the appropriate type of 12ga shotgun shell for home defense?

usafguy2w1
05-26-2012, 3:44 AM
any shotgun would do the job, but you should be looking for something in 12 gauge to give you a wider range of shell choice. And something with a 18.5 inch barrel for more dexterity in an inside house operation.

mrkam
05-26-2012, 4:24 AM
http://www.sadanduseless.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/679.jpg

And so I don't get accused of thread-crapping: Anything that has the word "buck" in it.

PEZHEAD265
05-26-2012, 5:12 AM
http://www.sadanduseless.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/679.jpg

And so I don't get accused of thread-crapping: Anything that has the word "buck" in it.

+++1 for what he said above.You should do a search because this topic is like :beatdeadhorse5:

Socalman
05-26-2012, 8:04 AM
This is a question that can be argued for hours from so many different points of view. I have a good supply of OO buck. However my Mossberg 590 is loaded with #1 buck. My reasoning: You have a few more pellets (16 vs 9) in the #1 yet they are a little smaller. The slightly smaller mass of each pellet makes for a little less chance of "missed shots" penetrating the heavy walls in my home.

Now should we go into a SHTF situation the OO buck gets loaded up or maybe even the OOO 3 inch shells. Then again I have a few rifled slugs I could employ.

BigDogatPlay
05-26-2012, 8:21 AM
Welcome to Calguns ezko84. Since it's your first post and all you wouldn't have been aware that your question has been asked and answered hundreds of times to the point that it's become comical.

On the upper right of the page is "Search" Click on it, then click on Advanced Search. Enter the search term "buck" and limit the search to this forum, Shotgun Discussions. You will get many pages of returns and the thread titles will be self explanatory.

To answer your question there is no one size fits all. The most consistent real world results for defensive use of shotgun seem to come from buck shot. I personally run a managed recoil 00 buck in my defensive shotguns.

X231
05-26-2012, 8:39 AM
Anything that goes bang and makes it to the end of the hallway is good imo. I believe that just about any load at close range is going to be devastating. Often times I have #8 loaded up as my first round in case I need to use it outside for critters/snakes. Set up a piece of plywood at 15' and shoot it with #8 and see what happens. Other than that 00 is my go to lead.

negolien
05-26-2012, 10:29 AM
get your troll on bro....:sleeping:

HonkingAntelope
05-26-2012, 10:48 AM
DAAHHHH, i need a new car. What should i buy?

Ribkick
05-26-2012, 10:53 AM
any shotgun would do the job, but you should be looking for something in 12 gauge to give you a wider range of shell choice. And something with a 18.5 inch barrel for more dexterity in an inside house operation.

Welcome to CalGuns, usafguy. Read the first post again and I think you'll notice he asked what load to get, not what gauge to get.

Just helping with reading comprehension. Carry on...

ezko84
05-26-2012, 1:21 PM
It was a noob question but when i was googleing I was getting all these fancy non lethal jumbo. Thanks again gentlemen. As the economy is getting worse there has been a rise in crime in my area, especially a lot of armed robberies and home invasions. Like they say "If you stay ready, then you don't have to get ready".

far from tactical
05-26-2012, 7:31 PM
:beatdeadhorse5::popcorn:

Scuba Steve33
06-01-2012, 7:15 PM
I have these on the side saddle of my Mossy: http://www.firequest.com/G12-025.html

shellslinger
06-01-2012, 8:20 PM
I like to use 3" Federal Vital Shok 00 buck. 15 pellets of GTFO. The recoil isn't that bad either it feels like a 2 3/4" shell with 9 pellets.

TacticalPlinker
06-01-2012, 9:37 PM
I have these on the side saddle of my Mossy: http://www.firequest.com/G12-025.html

Wow. $12 for 3 rounds? That's an absurd price...

Winchester PDX1 is about the same price and for 10 rounds, plus it's basically the same thing, 1 oz slug with 3 00 buckshot.

Scuba Steve33
06-01-2012, 9:43 PM
Wow. $12 for 3 rounds? That's an absurd price...

Winchester PDX1 is about the same price and for 10 rounds, plus it's basically the same thing, 1 oz slug with 3 00 buckshot.

I only ordered 6 lol. I'll have to check out the PDX1. I was placing an order for other exotic ammo and added 6 Pitbull rounds to my cart.

Gem1950
06-01-2012, 9:47 PM
Bird shot!

Riddler
06-01-2012, 10:09 PM
I either use Winchester pdx1 or Hornady tap.

CK_32
06-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Slug in the saddle 00 or buck in the tube

CK_32
06-01-2012, 11:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxkjRXk7m8

Good watch IMO

Travis590A1
06-02-2012, 12:04 AM
+1 for PDX1 I run it in all my HD guns. Although I currently had some 00 buck 9 pellet from big 5

webster-dl
06-02-2012, 12:38 PM
My $0.02: Buckshot...00, #1 or #4. This seems to be the consensus online.

Reason: The military uses buckshot as their standard antipersonnel shotgun round. Police generally do too. It is powerful enough to stop any unarmored target in one shot, and will lose energy rapidly if you miss and it goes through a wall.

Any other discussion is details that are unlikely to be useful to you...though possibly entertaining.

repubconserv
06-02-2012, 12:45 PM
00 buck

/thread

gawker
06-02-2012, 2:49 PM
http://230grain.com/showthread.php?65428-Ammunition-Drywall-Penetration-Analysis-Test-%28Adpat%29

Someone on another thread posted this link. Check out the 00 buck shot over-penetration.

Scuba Steve33
06-02-2012, 3:02 PM
My $0.02: Buckshot...00, #1 or #4. This seems to be the consensus online.

Reason: The military uses buckshot as their standard antipersonnel shotgun round. Police generally do too. It is powerful enough to stop any unarmored target in one shot, and will lose energy rapidly if you miss and it goes through a wall.

Any other discussion is details that are unlikely to be useful to you...though possibly entertaining.

Not sure on police but the military doesn't have a standard shotgun round for anti-personnel. The only thing we use shotguns for is door breaching, which is done with slugs.

repubconserv
06-02-2012, 5:07 PM
http://230grain.com/showthread.php?65428-Ammunition-Drywall-Penetration-Analysis-Test-%28Adpat%29

Someone on another thread posted this link. Check out the 00 buck shot over-penetration.

Use 00, train well, know the safe fire zones and don't miss

Yes, it does penetrate a lot. But any load that is going to be effective will need to penetrate walls to have enough power to penetrate bad guys. If our only concern was to be sure we didn't penetrate walls, we would use BB guns. However, BB guns will not stop bad guys.

Therefore, we must use loads that will STOP bad guys, and this means that they will also penetrate walls. So, be sure you hit the bad guy and do not shoot into walls where loved ones are on the other side.-Box O truth
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3_2.htm

Socalman
06-02-2012, 7:40 PM

That will certainly ruin your day if you are on the receiving end!

JeremyKX
06-02-2012, 8:25 PM
I use 00 Buck

PEZHEAD265
06-03-2012, 5:42 AM
00 and #1 through 4 buck should do the trick.

TacticalPlinker
06-03-2012, 6:18 AM
To anyone who lives in an apartment, condo or some other building where you share walls with your neighbors, you need to consider penetration. Especially apartments, trust me, 9 of 10 your apartment is using the cheapest possible materials to meet code.

Not sure about you, but I don't want to kill someone in my home then kill a neighbor because something went through the wall(s). Buck shot and slugs will penetrate the human body and continue into the wall(s) just as sure as the sky is blue.

And for those of you who don't think #7 & 1/2 or #8 or some other similar bird shot will kill you at close range (hallway or bedroom for example), please contact me.
I would like you to personally volunteer for testing shot spread patterns and penetration.

repubconserv
06-03-2012, 6:52 AM
And for those of you who don't think #7 & 1/2 or #8 or some other similar bird shot will kill you at close range (hallway or bedroom for example), please contact me.
I would like you to personally volunteer for testing shot spread patterns and penetration.

I have no doubt that birdshot can kill someone. The only question is how effective is it at stopping the threat immediately? It is not effective is the right answer. those little birdshot pellets do not have enough mass to effectively penetrate a BG to stop him immediately. Common sense will dictate that a bullet that can effectively stop someone right away, will also penetrate many walls.

that is why you

1. train

2. use buckshot

PS no one wants to get shot by anything, but I would be willing to do your test if you'd allow me to test the stopping power of buckshot on you after your birdshot test. Heck I'd even let you stand 50 yds away

PM me....

TacticalPlinker
06-03-2012, 7:25 AM
I have no doubt that birdshot can kill someone. The only question is how effective is it at stopping the threat immediately? It is not effective is the right answer. those little birdshot pellets do not have enough mass to effectively penetrate a BG to stop him immediately. Common sense will dictate that a bullet that can effectively stop someone right away, will also penetrate many walls.

that is why you

1. train

2. use buckshot

PS no one wants to get shot by anything, but I would be willing to do your test if you'd allow me to test the stopping power of buckshot on you after your birdshot test. Heck I'd even let you stand 50 yds away

PM me....

Immediately? Unless you're talking about being combat effective, I don't think immediately exists. People do not often get shot once then instantly fall to the ground and die. That's Hollywood, not real life.

As for your request, I'd gladly agree because I'll be shooting first and you'll be dead. I also failed to specify the details...

As for what to use... Use what you're comfortable with. DON'T take my advise seriously. I've simply fired a shotgun and I can't imagine the damage it would cause indoors at close range with nearly any type of round being fired unless your target is the Hulk or wearing body armor.

Disclaimer: I'm not an interwebs special forces super-ninja who's a veteran of every war in history, owned and use every object that's ever existed, done everything, been everywhere, and just outright knows everything about everything.

innes426
06-03-2012, 7:28 AM
I live in an apartment with plaster walls and neighbors everywhere, I keep light target loads for HD.

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-03-2012, 7:38 AM
00 buck for most people

repubconserv
06-03-2012, 8:26 AM
Immediately? Unless you're talking about being combat effective, I don't think immediately exists. People do not often get shot once then instantly fall to the ground and die. That's Hollywood, not real life.

As for your request, I'd gladly agree because I'll be shooting first and you'll be dead. I also failed to specify the details...

Ha. No.

8QONwQ7ErdU&feature=plcp

There are many more stories of people being shot at close range with birdshot and surviving.

Birdshot is not a defensive load. Period. It is true you can f someone up bad, and yes, eventually they might die. But an effective load is something that will put someone down quickly and permanently.

Birdshot even at point blank range will cause a large shallow crater in the skin. it does not act like a slug at close distances.

if you want to use it as a defensive load, go ahead, it could very likely be your funeral, but hey... you're just some guy on the internet, What do I care?

With that said, I am out before this thing goes full retard... which it probably will soon

Legasat
06-03-2012, 8:58 AM
For me, Low Recoil 00 Buck

Richard Erichsen
06-03-2012, 10:36 AM
What is the appropriate type of 12ga shotgun shell for home defense?

As a new user (welcome by the way) you could be excused for not knowing this is a practically weekly question. Use the search facility and type in "HD loads" and you'll get plenty to read. Ignore some of the posts that turned into a pissing match, that's not characteristic of this forum in general.

R

Scuba Steve33
06-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Ha. No.

8QONwQ7ErdU&feature=plcp

There are many more stories of people being shot at close range with birdshot and surviving.

Birdshot is not a defensive load. Period. It is true you can f someone up bad, and yes, eventually they might die. But an effective load is something that will put someone down quickly and permanently.

Birdshot even at point blank range will cause a large shallow crater in the skin. it does not act like a slug at close distances.

if you want to use it as a defensive load, go ahead, it could very likely be your funeral, but hey... you're just some guy on the internet, What do I care?

With that said, I am out before this thing goes full retard... which it probably will soon

That story is amazing. Saw it soon after it came out. Very inspiring. If it was buck shot he wouldn't be alive, we can agree on that.

spitfirejes
06-04-2012, 1:44 AM
I personally use either #4 or 00 buck.

scglock
06-04-2012, 2:07 AM
cant go wrong with 00 buck.

johnthomas
06-04-2012, 2:08 AM
Welcome to calguns, don't worry about the jerks on the forum, they forget being new and asking questions. Take a look of this.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=578841

Richard Erichsen
06-04-2012, 1:34 PM
Welcome to calguns, don't worry about the jerks on the forum, they forget being new and asking questions. Take a look of this.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=578841

Johnthomas, of all our discussions on the topic, why point him there? The only ammunition tested was a generic 00 buckshot load. There is a distinct difference between 00 buckshot loads intended for use by LEO and homeowner HD vs. what was intended for hunting. Reduced recoil loads operate at lower velocity and will behave somewhat differently. More importantly, the reduced recoil, blast and flash are better suited to these applications than a "hunting" type 00 buckshot.

R

innes426
06-05-2012, 4:04 PM
I forgot to mention my Shotgun is an 1897 trench gun with slam fire, I don't plan on stopping until the target is neutralized. I would much rather keep my neighbors safe, I have no idea of knowing where someone is on the other side of my thin walls. At the end of the day it's a matter of personal choice, and what you feel comfortable with.