PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Parallax does NOT accept Fishing License as proof of residency, Big 5 does

Danz la Nuit
05-25-2012, 11:03 PM
As per this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=576306

I went and purchased the 1 year forty something dollar fishing license from Big 5 and the gun counter guys @ Big 5 stated that they use it routinely as a 2nd proof of residence.

Get to Parallax and they don't accept it.

I call Big 5 and ask if I can return the license, they say no. :mad:

(Keep in mind that it was completely my fault for not waiting until Parallax opened to call and verify that they would accept the fishing license)

Parallax let me pay for the pistol, do the paperwork, start the 10 days.

I just need to go get the official DMV address print out in the next 10 days before pickup, which is fine, supposedly will only cost me 5$.

Once I leave Parallax I call another Big 5 and ask if there is any way I could return a fishing license and the manager tells me that they can void it within 4 hours and that the other Big 5 was full of s**t. lol...

So I return to the Big 5 I purchased it from and they gave me my $ back no problem.

So overall...

Today I/we learned...

1. Parallax doesn't accept the fishing license as a form of residence proof.

2. Big 5 does.

3. Big 5 can refund the license within 4 hours.

4. Calling the store beforehand to ask what they accept is a good idea.

:D

taperxz
05-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Parallax needs to learn that hunting and fishing licenses now come straight from fish and game. (a government agenct). Prior to last year, this was not the case. You should inform them of this. It will help them.

Danz la Nuit
05-25-2012, 11:11 PM
I would actually rather spend 50$ on a fishing license than 5$ at the DMV.

Anything to avoid the DMV... lol

Joe
05-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Why does big5 need a second proof of residency? They don't sell handguns and that's not needed for longguns.

Rhythm of Life
05-25-2012, 11:23 PM
Why does big5 need a second proof of residency? They don't sell handguns and that's not needed for longguns.

Yeah that kinda threw me through a hoop.

Danz la Nuit
05-25-2012, 11:32 PM

Yeah that kinda threw me through a hoop.

Well, the reason I assumed I needed one today before I even showed up is that my vehicle registration has my address from last year on it.

So my current DL has the correct address but I don't have any other proof of current address.

The Big 5 question is interesting because back when I bought my shotgun from Big 5 I had my old address on my license and they wanted a 2nd proof of residence and I couldn't meet any of their desired proofs, once they figured out that it wasn't going to happen they accepted the online dmv print out that I had from I changed my address online w/dmv.

G-Man WC
05-25-2012, 11:43 PM
You live in San Diego, go fishing.
-g

oni.dori
05-26-2012, 3:12 PM
Why would you ever want to return a fushing license? Waste of a perfectly good license IMO.

WTSGDYBBR
05-26-2012, 3:15 PM
SHAME ON Parallax

NYsteveZ
05-26-2012, 3:49 PM
To each his own...Parallax may have their reasons. Did you ask them what else they may accept? Utility bills, California Guard Card (security lic), Voter registration...all acceptable at a few places that I know of here in SD. That would suck if you had to go to the zoo...err, DMV

famous117
05-26-2012, 4:22 PM
I tried the DMV print out at Tracy pistol and rifle and they wouldn't take that. So i went to walmart and got a fishing license, that did the trick...

kcstott
05-26-2012, 5:18 PM
The problem is these gun shops don't have a clear idea of what is legal proof of residency.
These boys need to read up on the laws and ask for the proper paper work and except the proper documents. I had this happen at Iron Sights too.

smt77
05-26-2012, 7:44 PM
If your driver license does not have your current residence address, then you have to provide a government issued document that does have your current physical address. It's the law and is listed in the instructions on the back of the 4473 form. The topic has been discussed numerous times that I have seen. If the residence address on the driver licens is correct, then big 5 d

smt77
05-26-2012, 7:45 PM
If your driver license does not have your current residence address, then you have to provide a government issued document that does have your current physical address. It's the law and is listed in the instructions on the back of the 4473 form. The topic has been discussed numerous times that I have seen. If the residence address on the driver license is correct, then big 5 does not require the additional proof of residence.

SJgunguy24
05-26-2012, 8:20 PM
Last time I checked a fishing or hunting license isn't valid for POR, only a utility with a hard connection or a federal or state issued license. I know fishing and hunting licenses are "state issued" but you could write anything you want on there. I have a COE, CaID, and my 03ffl.
If you check the DOJ FAQ for ffl's it states that hunting and fishing licenes are not valid for POR.

taperxz
05-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Last time I checked a fishing or hunting license isn't valid for POR, only a utility with a hard connection or a federal or state issued license. I know fishing and hunting licenses are "state issued" but you could write anything you want on there. I have a COE, CaID, and my 03ffl.
If you check the DOJ FAQ for ffl's it states that hunting and fishing licenes are not valid for POR.

Until last year hunting and fishing licenses were issued by agents. Now they come straight from F&G. Heck, even on a drivers license or registration you can put what ever address you want. Think about it.

boxcutter3005
05-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Paralllax is one of the more educated shops i've been to, and pretty reasonable, you should try to dig up some documentation. And try to inform them

taperxz
05-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Paralllax is one of the more educated shops i've been to, and pretty reasonable, you should try to dig up some documentation. And try to inform them

BRANDON! CALFFL.ORG! Gun stores should accept the new government issued hunting or fishing licenses. They come straight from CA F&G.:D.

An OFFICIAL GOVERNMENT AGENCY:chris:

SJgunguy24
05-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Until last year hunting and fishing licenses were issued by agents. Now they come straight from F&G. Heck, even on a drivers license or registration you can put what ever address you want.l Think about it.

I haven't renewed my hunting license since 2009, all I did was show my old one and fill out the new license at Big 5. I was not aware the state has clamped down on another aspect of our lives.
Parallax could be going off of the CADOJ's FAQ for POR. I think we can point this partly at the DOJ once again not updating their own info.

taperxz
05-26-2012, 10:42 PM
I haven't renewed my hunting license since 2009, all I did was show my old one and fill out the new license at Big 5. I was not aware the state has clamped down on another aspect of our lives.

They didn't clamp down. They automated their system. When you order online, F&G, allows you to print a temp license. 15 days later you get an official one in the mail. Right out of headquarters in sacratomato:D

markw
05-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Poway DMV has short lines, even shorter when you schedule an appointment. If I have to go to DMV I'm usually in and out in < 15 minutes. Appointments are usually available the day before.

Danz la Nuit
05-27-2012, 9:57 AM
Poway DMV has short lines, even shorter when you schedule an appointment. If I have to go to DMV I'm usually in and out in < 15 minutes. Appointments are usually available the day before.

Thx

roushstage2
05-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Another tip: you can just buy a one-day license for like $14. The proof needs to be valid when you do the 4437; not a year later. :)
That being said, Sac Black Rifle will take a fishing license and Sportsman's Warehouse won't.

tryzubconsulting
05-27-2012, 1:01 PM
Yeah, about that...

rp55
05-27-2012, 1:37 PM
Did anyone actually read DoJ's regualtions on proof of residency (http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/resprf)? I went through this when I moved from Pacific Grove to San Jose. It clearly states:

=======================
Examples of documents that are NOT acceptable proof of residency:

1. Hunting or fishing license (these documents are not issued by the government).
=======================

A LGS took my new county issued voter registration card as POR but after I read a Librarian post that pointed to the actual DoJ regs, I saw that he should not have as it does not have an expiration date, which is a requirement. Evidently a lot of FFL's are not up on the law. One document that does meet the requirements and that I never see mentioned here is a FCC issued Amateur Radio License. It is a good alternative for those individuals who may not be able to get a lease or utility bill in their own name.

G-forceJunkie
05-27-2012, 4:26 PM
As mentioned in post #19, the Doj's website is outdated and wrong in this respect. Fishing and hunting licences are now issued directaly from the Dept of fish and game. Got mine in the mail last week directaly from Sacramento. Did anyone actually read DoJ's regualtions on proof of residency (http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/resprf)? I went through this when I moved from Pacific Grove to San Jose. It clearly states:

=======================

1. Hunting or fishing license (these documents are not issued by the government).
=======================

A LGS took my new county issued voter registration card as POR but after I read a Librarian post that pointed to the actual DoJ regs, I saw that he should not have as it does not have an expiration date, which is a requirement. Evidently a lot of FFL's are not up on the law. One document that does meet the requirements and that I never see mentioned here is a FCC issued Amateur Radio License. It is a good alternative for those individuals who may not be able to get a lease or utility bill in their own name.

aklover_91
05-27-2012, 4:36 PM
The DOJ FAQ also says a lease agreement can only be used if notarized, but there's no requirement that it be notarized in the PC.

I don't expect anything else they say to be correct without checking the penal code.

taperxz
05-27-2012, 5:33 PM
Did anyone actually read DoJ's regualtions on proof of residency (http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/resprf)? I went through this when I moved from Pacific Grove to San Jose. It clearly states:

=======================

=======================

DOJ needs to update their system. Both fishing and hunting licenses now come, as i stated before , from F&G directly. In the past it was sold by agents of F&G. The license was filled out in ink and there was really no documentation. Now even if you go to a Big 5, The computer system belongs to F&G and your special ID/GO number is your very own personal ID number.

Its very much like a DMV registration now. You pay online and get the reg in the mail or you can go to AAA and do it also. Its still a government agency.

Isn't it ironic that the two licenses that allow you to redneck conceal carry are not acceptable forms of ID to establish residency? Especially now that F&G have taken over all documentation?

wildhawker
05-27-2012, 5:39 PM
There are *lots* of things that we can fix. We *cannot* do it without the support of you and your local FFLs, ranges, accessory/ammo dealers, and ranges. That means you, too, FFL03 C&Rs.

Please, tell them how important it is to join Cal-FFL (http://calffl.org/join) and make DOJ follow the law.

-Brandon

tenpercentfirearms
05-28-2012, 7:10 AM
Actually, the funny thing about hunting and fishing licenses is if you buy them from ALS agent (like Ten Percent Firearms), I can actually change your address to whatever you want. However, I asked both my ATF agent and a CA DOJ agent and they both said the new printed out hunting licenses are good for both requirements.

We need to work on getting the website changed.

ParallaxTactical.com
07-03-2012, 1:28 AM
Hi,

Joe here from Parallax. Thank you for posting your experience. In the future if there is an issue that you think requires special attention, feel free to PM or Facebook our page.

Reviewing your experience, we're in a bind - The DOJ website says specifically that we cannot accept fishing licenses, but if they are issued by F&G directly, it should qualify - however if we are audited they can say otherwise. I will have our people here check with the DOJ to see what's the deal is. Thanks!

rkt88edmo
07-03-2012, 2:03 AM
So I've got a lifer for fishing, it prints from Big5, does that qualify? would be great to not have to worry about keeping the latest trash or water bill just in case I find a deal.

taperxz
07-03-2012, 7:32 AM
Hi,

Joe here from Parallax. Thank you for posting your experience. In the future if there is an issue that you think requires special attention, feel free to PM or Facebook our page.

Reviewing your experience, we're in a bind - The DOJ website says specifically that we cannot accept fishing licenses, but if they are issued by F&G directly, it should qualify - however if we are audited they can say otherwise. I will have our people here check with the DOJ to see what's the deal is. Thanks!

When checking with DOJ, you will need to remind them that the license is in fact issued by a government agency now. That should go for both fishing and hunting licenses.

1lowluv
07-03-2012, 11:05 AM
I seen a guy use a speeding ticket as his 2nd proof of residency the other day. Gun shop said that it will work since it was government issued. Haha.

tenpercentfirearms
07-03-2012, 11:15 AM
I seen a guy use a speeding ticket as his 2nd proof of residency the other day. Gun shop said that it will work since it was government issued. Haha.

That might work for Federal proof of residency but it would not work for the state handgun requirements.

Mr. Magoo
08-08-2012, 6:13 PM
I tried to explain this to Turner's in Orange. That it is a valid .gov issued document and they still refused to accept it as POR. Has anyone used this in the OC area successfully? I usually go to Ade's but havent had a chance to call.

(Sorry for the old bump heh).

mc21
08-08-2012, 6:26 PM
Stopped reading like 5 post down but to anyone saying shame on parallax... i say shame on you....

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/resprf
"Examples of documents that are NOT acceptable proof of residency:
Hunting or fishing license (these documents are not issued by the government).
Cellular phone bill.
Passport.
Pay stub."

It is specifically stated that this is not accepted by the CA DOJ.

EDIT: Finished reading and noticed that everyone is saying that it chagned blah blah blah. From the LGS's point of view, I personally wouldn't directly go against something publicly published unless I have in writing from the CA DOJ that is is okay. For a buyer, its just a gun, but for the LGS it's their living that they're possibly gambling with.

corrosively_armed
08-08-2012, 7:56 PM
Until I got a ccw I always just showed a utility bill or proof of insurance at whatever gun store I was at if I was buying a handgun. I don't recall ever having to show anything for a rifle except for the old hunters safety certificate but that was years ago and now you don't have to show a thing except your driver's license.

Gunsmith Dan
08-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Long Story short to correct the assumptions posted by some here .....

It does not matter what documents comes from what agency ..... what matters is what BATF&E and CA DOJ have in WRITING in there official rules and regulations in regards to proof of residency.

What they tell you on the phone is useless it must be either on the website, in the printed manual or in the form of a reply to a letter of inquiry sent to them. Anything else provides no CYA and while it might annoy customers, no customer is worth the chance of losing your business ... or freedom.

There is business owners that are either misinformed, believe what they heard verbally or assumed they know what the laws should be. Those types of business owners will either get fined, lose their licence or get jailed at some time. The time frame maybe be years down the road but it will happen eventually.

motorwerks
08-08-2012, 11:41 PM
You live in San Diego, go fishing.
-g

my thought exactly :D