PDA

View Full Version : Springfield trp and mag problems

sand951
05-25-2012, 7:56 PM
I purchased some Kimpro 8 round mags for my SA TRP. They would not lock in unless I put a good amount of pressure. Once in they would not release unless I stripped them out. The metalform mags that my TRP came with work great. I purchased a mec gar 8 round and it also works, but I tried a 7 round TRIPP and it also would not lock into the mag well. What's going on? Should I send my gun back to Springfield?

Press Check
05-25-2012, 9:11 PM
This issue is not exclusive to Springfield Armory, and traditionally, is typical of all 1911 pistols. If your pistol functions with Metalform and Mec-Gar magazines, that's what you stick with.

My Springfield functions with Mec-Gar, and Tripp Research magazines, but not Wilson ETM magazines.

Gringo Bandito
05-25-2012, 9:14 PM
I have used the Springfield and Wilson without issue in my TRP. Never tried the other brands.

nightwolf0215
05-25-2012, 9:15 PM
Wilson ETM is good. I like it too.

SoulStealer
05-25-2012, 9:18 PM
Have you checked the bushings? They might be extending into your magwell, mine did the same thing.

sand951
05-26-2012, 7:04 AM
Thanks. I will check the bushings.

IPSICK
05-26-2012, 8:16 AM
This issue is not exclusive to Springfield Armory, and traditionally, is typical of all 1911 pistols. If your pistol functions with Metalform and Mec-Gar magazines, that's what you stick with.

My Springfield functions with Mec-Gar, and Tripp Research magazines, but not Wilson ETM magazines.

This is good advice. 1911s can individually prefer some magazine brand/types over others. Find a brand and model it likes and stick with it. No need to experiment just cause you hear someone else prefers another brand or the marketing hype says get this one.

Although it won't disagree hurt to check the grip bushings as well.