PDA

View Full Version : Laser on rifles legal?

Ninjapilot
05-25-2012, 6:32 PM
My friend is selling an old fashion laser for rifles which mounts on picatinny rails. He bought it at a local Turners here in Socal, I believe in late 90's or early 2000's. I was interested in picking it up from him but I wanted to make sure its legal here in Cali before I do. Is it? It is an old fashion laser I believe since it is a little bulky and has a string for the on/off button to be placed on the hand grip.

morrcarr67
05-25-2012, 6:38 PM
Yes. So are new fangled ones. :D

chiefcrash
05-25-2012, 6:46 PM
About the only way I know of (and IANAL) it could get a bit legally fuzzy is if you put a nightvision scope on the rifle as well. I could see some DA trying to argue the laser qualifies as an "IR Illuminator"...

alfred1222
05-25-2012, 7:54 PM
About the only way I know of (and IANAL) it could get a bit legally fuzzy is if you put a nightvision scope on the rifle as well. I could see some DA trying to argue the laser qualifies as an "IR Illuminator"...

I've heard this as well

unusedusername
05-25-2012, 8:11 PM

If it is an ye-olde laser then it isn't putting out any IR. It would be red.

Lasers are good to go in CA with the exception of IR lasers when there is also a NV scope mounted. :)

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
05-25-2012, 8:20 PM
^ this

grommit666
05-25-2012, 8:26 PM
It's not legal to hunt with it. But if you're not planning on doing that, you should be good to go.

Ninjapilot
05-25-2012, 8:38 PM
So IR lasers are legal in California as long as I dont put a night vision scope(which i wouldnt since i see no purpose for)?

bigcalidave
05-25-2012, 8:44 PM
Yes.

I really didn't know you couldn't use a laser while hunting. How absurd.

"(i) Except as otherwise provided, while taking or attempting to take big game under the provisions of Section 353 or Section 354, Title 14, CCR, it is unlawful to use any device or devices which: 1) throw, cast or project an artificial light or electronically alter or intensify a light source for the purpose of visibly enhancing an animal; or 2) throw, cast or project an artificial light or electronically alter or intensify a light source for the purpose of providing a visible point of aim directly on an animal. Devices commonly referred to as "sniperscopes", night vision scopes or binoculars, or those utilizing infra-red, heat sensing or other non-visible spectrum light technology used for the purpose of visibly enhancing an animal or providing a visible point of aim directly on an animal are prohibited and may not be possessed while taking or attempting to take big game. Devices commonly referred to as laser rangefinders, “red-dot” scopes with self-illuminating reticles, and fiberoptic sights with self-illuminating sight or pins which do not throw, cast or project a visible light onto an animal are permitted."

chiefcrash
05-26-2012, 10:50 AM
If it is an ye-olde laser then it isn't putting out any IR. It would be red.

Lasers are good to go in CA with the exception of IR lasers when there is also a NV scope mounted. :)

I'm not saying it'd really be a problem, but I could see some less than scientifically inclined DA trying to argue that it emits *some* IR light...

And as far as IR lasers go: I believe you can still where nightvision *goggles* with the IR laser mounted. It's just the nightvision gear can't be mounted to the weapon at the same time as the IR laser...

(this is just weapon laws, no idea on hunting laws)

Ninjapilot
05-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Here is a picture I found on google of it. By the way my friend's says date of manufacture 1987. How do I know if its IR or now? Man it's getting so scary with people saying it may still want to be considered illegal by some DA's that maybe I wont get it.

http://oneye.unrealspawnboard.com/ONEYE-Kisielka/TerminatorReferenceShots/LS45cu.JPG

unusedusername
05-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Chiefcrash: that isnt how lasers work.

They put out one single wavelength (color) of light, with all the waves in parallel. If its a red laser, it puts out only red. The same is true for green, purple, yellow and IR lasers. If your laser breaks and puts out more then one color it will start putting out light more like a flashlight and less like a dot.

As far as I know it is an open area of research to try and figure out how to make a laser that puts our more then one color (hence, why there are no white lasers), but it has been a few years since I looked into this seriously.

unusedusername
05-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Ninja pilot: that's a red laser. The easy way to tell is turn it on and look at the color.

All the IR lasers in 1987 were gas tube types and would not work on a gun.