View Full Version : Old S&W cleaning

05-25-2012, 6:14 PM
Hey guys,

I need to clean a few guns that have been passed down. some late 60s/early 70s that have little or no use. They have been safe queens their whole lives.

any recommendations?

05-25-2012, 6:44 PM
I cleaned my grandfather's S&W 32 Long (from the 1930's) using Hoppes #9 and CLP for lube. No issues so far.

05-25-2012, 7:38 PM
Let's see pictures!!!
I would clean the barrel and cylinders with any regular cleaning solvent. They probably won't need any other cleaning besides that. Maybe a few drops of oil sent down from the open for the hammer and trigger.
I you need help with disassembly let me know, I'm local and don't mind helping.

05-25-2012, 7:46 PM
I am usually a 'dry' cleaning kind of guy and simply use brushes, wooden chopsticks and the edge of copper tubing to clean some of the tough spots of carbon or lead.

Once cleaned that way, I use the Renaissance preliminary cleaner and then use the wax. On blued guns it makes them look brand new. It's what museums use on most of their metallic items.

Good protection as it's wax and no residue or fingerprints after handling.

A bit on the pricey side, but really works well. You can also use a quality Carnauba wax too, just don't get the ones with the cleaners already in them.

05-25-2012, 8:07 PM
I agree with the others. Unless the safe has been exposed to semi-serious heat at some time, Hoppe's #9 or Shooter's Choice will handle it. Just make sure you get the outside as well as the cylinder and barrel. Look for rust where it has touched the material of the shelving or all over the outside if it has been in a rug in the safe. But you knew that, already, I am guessing!

05-26-2012, 7:43 AM
I clean my guns with froglube...try it and let me know..