PDA

View Full Version : Savage model 10 Accutrigger factory spring....

bombadillo
05-25-2012, 6:02 PM
I am wondering if anybody knows where to buy a factory accutrigger spring for the model 10 short action. I'd like to tinker with it but apparently savage frowns upon it as I can't seem to find one anywhere at the normal retailers like midway and other parts stores. Before I go cutting or adjusting springs, I want to make sure I can replace the part before hacking. I cut my .17hmr by 1.5-2 coils and it dropped to a safe 1lb, 2oz pull weight after working it over a bit and I want to get this one down to about 2lbs at lowest and 6 at highest. I know it can be done but I just want to be double sure I can at least purchase another spring before attempting this one. The rimfire version is easier so just double checking.

LovingTheYear1911
05-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Call Savage and order from them. If they dont have it, they should have a part number. I needed a detent ball and Savage gave me a part number and Midway had it.

bombadillo
05-26-2012, 3:15 PM
I'll have to try them on Tuesday.

BradleyAbrams
05-26-2012, 9:41 PM
Bomba, I have a couple of questions for you -

Why would you want to play with cutting / modifying the spring in the AccuTrigger..?

Is your existing AccuTrigger System not adjustable from 6LBs down to 2Lbs by rotating the Adjustment Spring with the "Special Tool" provided by Savage..?

From the Savage Arms website:

"The AccuTrigger is available in all 12 Series Varmint, Law Enforcement, Muzzleloaders, the Model 40 Varmint Hunter, most centerfire hunting and rimfire models, including the Package Series. The adjustability range varies depending on the model.

In centerfire hunting models, muzzleloaders, the Model 40 Varmint Hunter, and most rimfire models, the AccuTrigger™ is adjustable from approximately 2 1/2 to 6 lbs. In the 12 Series Varmint and Law Enforcement Series, the AccuTrigger is adjustable from approximately 1 1/2 lbs to 6 lbs."

http://www.savage-rifles.com/category/1412-Savage-Arms-AccuTrigger.aspx

-

locosway
05-26-2012, 9:59 PM
The trigger on my Savages goes really low. I can't imagine cutting the spring. I'm sure Savage would frown upon you cutting their spring, but they should sell replacement parts if you call them.

bombadillo
05-27-2012, 8:37 AM
Like I said, I have done it on other models safely, and this one at lowest setting, is at 3.5+ lbs. I would like just sub 2lbs or so for bench and 3-4 for carrying. Model 10/11 only goes down to about 3 lbs or so.

locosway
05-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Like I said, I have done it on other models safely, and this one at lowest setting, is at 3.5+ lbs. I would like just sub 2lbs or so for bench and 3-4 for carrying. Model 10/11 only goes down to about 3 lbs or so.

My model 10 goes lower than 3lbs. The accutrigger is supposed to go to 1.5lbs, safely.

bombadillo
05-27-2012, 11:19 AM
There are 2 different springs they use. Model 10/11 get the non target version of the spring, and they go to around 3lbs-3.5lbs or so at the lowest setting. They go up to almost 7lbs at highest. The 12fv, benchrest versions, and the 10FP get the better (or at least lighter) springs that go down to 1.5lbs or so. MY spring only gets down to about 3.5lbs at the lightest according to the RCBS premium pull scale and I KNOW it can do better. I'm thinking of ordering the 12fv spring and just replacing it from the factory 10 to the factory 12 spring and see how much I like it without hacking it up. I've cut my 93 spring and did it just right and it feels so sweet. I'm kind of a trigger whore and like a really light crisp trigger. The 3+lb feels crisp, but just a tad too heavy for what I like. I'm really going for sub 2lb or so if I can get there.

So locosway, to answer your question, the hunting models like mine the 11 TH XP Nikon only comes with a 3.5lb trigger at lowest because its designed for hunting. If you have a 10FP or one of the LEO type rifles, you probably have the lighter spring in there.

locosway
05-27-2012, 6:03 PM
There are 2 different springs they use. Model 10/11 get the non target version of the spring, and they go to around 3lbs-3.5lbs or so at the lowest setting. They go up to almost 7lbs at highest. The 12fv, benchrest versions, and the 10FP get the better (or at least lighter) springs that go down to 1.5lbs or so. MY spring only gets down to about 3.5lbs at the lightest according to the RCBS premium pull scale and I KNOW it can do better. I'm thinking of ordering the 12fv spring and just replacing it from the factory 10 to the factory 12 spring and see how much I like it without hacking it up. I've cut my 93 spring and did it just right and it feels so sweet. I'm kind of a trigger whore and like a really light crisp trigger. The 3+lb feels crisp, but just a tad too heavy for what I like. I'm really going for sub 2lb or so if I can get there.

So locosway, to answer your question, the hunting models like mine the 11 TH XP Nikon only comes with a 3.5lb trigger at lowest because its designed for hunting. If you have a 10FP or one of the LEO type rifles, you probably have the lighter spring in there.

I see... Yes, I have the 10 FCP-K.

I'd just order the lighter spring. ;)

bombadillo
05-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Also this was part of their site quoting:

"In centerfire hunting models, muzzleloaders, the Model 40 Varmint Hunter, and most rimfire models, the AccuTrigger™ is adjustable from approximately 2 1/2 to 6 lbs. In the 12 Series Varmint and Law Enforcement Series, the AccuTrigger is adjustable from approximately 1 1/2 lbs to 6 lbs."

Mine says it will go down to 2.5lbs but THEY LIE!!! :D I want it to go way low for bench, and I'll crank it to 3-4 when hunting with it. Great little hog gun though. Cheap, accurate, and has a great scope for the money.

I can't beat $466 shipped with a Nikon BDC 3-9x40, free floated barrel, accutrigger, and parkerized barrel with a synthetic stock. Only weighs about 5.5lbs with scope and no ammo loaded.