PDA

View Full Version : an overly well oiled machine...

ThE_LoNgShOt
05-25-2012, 5:47 PM
finally got my Remington 870 express tac out of jail today and was amazed at how much oil is all over the gun! the box it came in has a large advertisement for their Rem Oil, so I guess they give you some to try.... maybe next time they should leave it in the bottle though and let me use it as needed!! :eek:

edwardm
05-25-2012, 6:32 PM
finally got my Remington 870 express tac out of jail today and was amazed at how much oil is all over the gun! the box it came in has a large advertisement for their Rem Oil, so I guess they give you some to try.... maybe next time they should leave it in the bottle though and let me use it as needed!! :eek:

Not uncommon for many firearms. The factory doesn't know if the gun is going to sit in a box for a week or a year, whether it will be in a controlled environment, etc. It's cheap insurance against opening a box full o' rust.

The RIA 1911 I bought last year was wrapped in a plastic bag and had puddles of oil in it. Not a big deal. :)

mark olindale
05-25-2012, 6:54 PM
Not uncommon for many firearms. The factory doesn't know if the gun is going to sit in a box for a week or a year, whether it will be in a controlled environment, etc. It's cheap insurance against opening a box full o' rust.

The RIA 1911 I bought last year was wrapped in a plastic bag and had puddles of oil in it. Not a big deal. :)

What he said. It is better to have to much oil than not enough.

BigDogatPlay
05-25-2012, 7:28 PM
A detailed cleaning of all the packing goop gives me the opportunity to learn the new gun inside and out.

Not to worry, just give it a good cleaning and then enjoy the heck out of it.

Riddler
05-25-2012, 7:39 PM
Yeh same when I picked up my remington. The smell of oil and steel from a new gun is the best

ThE_LoNgShOt
05-25-2012, 7:48 PM
yeah, I'm used to them being liberally oiled, but this one was swimming... all good though. as stated, drying it off will give me a chance to get to know it a bit. as far as enjoying the heck out of it... rest assured, I will!!!