PDA

View Full Version : help a REVOLVER noob for USPSA/IDPA?

Hornet_RN
05-25-2012, 4:10 PM
i've taken over a year long break from shooting action pistol at my local club and i think i'm ready to get back into it again...but this time with a revolver. i'm shooting a new 6inch S&W 686 .357 Magnum with a 6 round cylinder and shooting .38 Specials out of it.

so i got questions...

1) holsters: what holster should i purchase for a revolver in action shooting? is there a SERPA style holster or am i going to have to buy an old school leather holster?

2) speedloaders: HKS or Safariland? I originally wanted moon clips but i'm not entirely sure my cylinder is cut for them. Also, how will I mount these speedloaders to my belt, is there such a thing as a speedloader carrier?

3) ammuntion and reloading: what would be a good bullet weight for .38 special target loads? what powder would you suggest? any suggested bullet shape (semiwadcutters, round nose, hollow point, jacketed/nonjacketed)

thanks,
HORNET_RN

shooting4life
05-25-2012, 5:16 PM
You won't be able to use that revolver in Idpa since the have a 4 inch maximum. Your best bet would be to sell the revolver you have a buy a used 625jm. Probably won't cost all that much more, it takes moon clips from the factory and you can easily make major.

HighLander51
05-25-2012, 6:05 PM
i've taken over a year long break from shooting action pistol at my local club and i think i'm ready to get back into it again...but this time with a revolver. i'm shooting a new 6inch S&W 686 .357 Magnum with a 6 round cylinder and shooting .38 Specials out of it.

so i got questions...

1) holsters: what holster should i purchase for a revolver in action shooting? is there a SERPA style holster or am i going to have to buy an old school leather holster?

2) speedloaders: HKS or Safariland? I originally wanted moon clips but i'm not entirely sure my cylinder is cut for them. Also, how will I mount these speedloaders to my belt, is there such a thing as a speedloader carrier?

3) ammuntion and reloading: what would be a good bullet weight for .38 special target loads? what powder would you suggest? any suggested bullet shape (semiwadcutters, round nose, hollow point, jacketed/nonjacketed)

thanks,
HORNET_RN

First of all, a 6" wheelgun is not allowed in IDPA. And while you can shoot it in USPSA, you will basically suck. ICORE is the place for wheelguns.

1) Get a BladeTech or Safariland 560. Everything will suck.

2) You can't use moon clips in that gun, but there are speed loaders and holders available.

3) You can use any round that you like, but if you are not familiar with reloading, use factory ammo to start.

'Local Action' pistol matches are not sanctioned by a National organization, they have their own rules.

NewbieDave
05-25-2012, 6:07 PM
What ^^^ say about the limit. As for your questions:

1) Yes, open top kydex everywhere... Comp-tach & Blade-Tech is good source for IDPA approved holster for revolver.

2) Get the Safariland comp-speed loader. It's a push button release, real fast. Same company ^^^ makes speed-loader carrier. And you can have up to 3 on your belt.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
05-25-2012, 9:35 PM
Don't know about IDPA, but that revolver won't be competitive in USPSA's Revolver Division. The 625 in one form or another pretty much rules that roost.

kmca
05-25-2012, 10:00 PM
1. I use a Ghost holster, but I see a lot of CR Speed.
2. Safariland Comp III, or Jet Loaders.
3. Weight...you choose, but round nose makes it easier to reload.
That particular 686 is good for ICORE retro/classic. You can get your cylinder cut to use moonclips, but it would put you into a division that your 686 wouldn't be too competitive. You can shoot Revolver division in USPSA until your greater than 1 second reloads are costing you the match, but by then, you'll probably already have a 625 :)

Hornet_RN
05-26-2012, 4:38 AM
this is the OP...

thanks for all the help

i didn't explain very well that i'm just a casual shooter and that i'm really just using it at local club matches. my club doesn't really care about how long my barrel is for competition in IDPA, so i could use any barrel length anyway. also, i just like to go shooting at a match once in a while, so i'm not out to win trophies. thus, i'm not really into trying to get my pistol modified for moon clips, good old speedloaders should do fine.

i just love to shoot!

Hornet_RN

kmca
05-26-2012, 6:32 AM
I don't know where in the Bay Area you are, but there's an ICORE match tomorrow at the Richmond gun club. If you have the time, you might want to check it out....great bunch of guys and they're more than happy to help a new shooter :)