View Full Version : My Cobra might have a crack :(

05-25-2012, 3:35 PM
I got this one used for a really good price a while back and have been shooting it quite a bit, all with regular .38 FMJ. Today, after cleaning it, I notice that there might be a crack or a scratch in the corner of the frame, right behind where the cylinder stopper thing (no clue about nomenclature lol) is.

Is this a crack or a scratch? When I run my fingernail across it, I can feel it. Is thing unsafe to shoot? I haven't seen any stories of the gun cracking from there even with people who use overpressure rounds. The frame doesn't appear to be stretched, timing, lockup, and gaps are still excellent. No issues with the forcing cone or the surrounding part of the frame either. If this is it for this gun, it's too bad cause it's a lot of fun.

05-25-2012, 3:38 PM
Im no expert by ANY means, but that definitely looks like a hairline crack.

05-25-2012, 3:51 PM
Looks like a crack to me also.

05-25-2012, 3:53 PM
Poor snake :(

05-25-2012, 3:54 PM
That's what I thought. Not cool. Guess it's going to live in the safe unless I can get ahold of another frame, but then it's probably cheaper and easier if just go buy another gun lol

05-25-2012, 4:10 PM
you can get dye test kits normally used on engines that will tell you if its a crack or not. basically apply dye, clean off excess dye, turn on black light and look for cracks to show up. might be worth checking out.

Can't buy anything here
05-25-2012, 6:01 PM
sign up at www.coltforum.com those guys are experts...and if it is cracked, they might have suggestions on what to do...maybe even Colt can fix it.....:)