PDA

View Full Version : Which is a better first AR - M&P15 Sport, Sig M400, or other?

ckyrulez
05-25-2012, 4:26 PM
Looking to buy my first AR in the near future and I'm still undecided about which one to buy. So far I've narrowed it down to these two different models based on the following:

M&P15 Sport - My friend just bought one and absolutely loves it. Read a lot of good things about it (can't remember seeing any negative reviews). I believe there is a lifetime warranty on this and heard that S&W customer service is top-notch.

Sig Sauer M400 - Love Sig handguns so I'm thinking/hoping this AR will be just as good. Haven't seen too much written about this model but from what I've seen, there's been mostly good reviews.

I'm also open to any other suggestions. I'm looking to buy an already-built AR to start but would probably look into assembling my own in the future, as I get more comfortable with the platform.

Magix
05-25-2012, 4:59 PM
I know it's not on your list but I would recommend spending a little more to get a Colt 6920. It'll hold it's value better in the long run and has a great reputation. But if you're stuck on one of those two I'd get the M&P since it's more common/proven.

.02 cents

Arkangel
05-25-2012, 5:48 PM
Both will serve you fine, the S&W is regarded as a great entry level AR because of it's low price point and great track record. At the end of the day choose what tickles your fancy the most.

InkHammer
05-25-2012, 5:58 PM
Great thing about the S&W is that it is rock solid, and leaves you money to deal with the Black Rifle Disease or BRD... Optics, rail, stock upgrade, sling and Ammo... You need lots and lots of Ammo! The Smith shoots steel cased all day long too, so you can save $$ in no time on that too. I have a S&W sport and love it. Sig is indeed a good brand But I know next to nothing about their AR platform tbh.

InkHammer
05-25-2012, 5:59 PM
PSA and spikes tactical are great too for the price point, but good luck getting your hands on either!

p2rider426
05-25-2012, 7:26 PM
S&W is a great rifle. You won't be disapointed

iHate.Kalifornia
05-25-2012, 7:28 PM
Looking to buy my first AR in the near future and I'm still undecided about which one to buy. So far I've narrowed it down to these two different models based on the following:

M&P15 Sport - My friend just bought one and absolutely loves it. Read a lot of good things about it (can't remember seeing any negative reviews). I believe there is a lifetime warranty on this and heard that S&W customer service is top-notch.

Sig Sauer M400 - Love Sig handguns so I'm thinking/hoping this AR will be just as good. Haven't seen too much written about this model but from what I've seen, there's been mostly good reviews.

I'm also open to any other suggestions. I'm looking to buy an already-built AR to start but would probably look into assembling my own in the future, as I get more comfortable with the platform.

If you go with the S&W M&P 15, just be prepared to deal with a huge shortage on those rifles!! I was thinking about getting one and NOBODY around me has them in stock and I even called Smith and Wesson and asked them when they would have more and the guy had no idea.
So i just went with an 80% lower and now Im building one from parts that I want!!

pacifico23
05-25-2012, 7:29 PM
Smith and Wesson personally.

Squidward
05-25-2012, 7:43 PM
Here's another thought. Buy a completed lower (even though they are not hard to assemble; really!) then buy a completed upper set up the way you like. The lower is a FFL transaction but the upper can be sent to your house.

For example, I found this within a couple of minutes.

Palmetto State Armory Complete PSA AR-15 Lower - MOE Edition $299
Stag Arms 3H complete upper $465
Total $764

Slap them together and you've completed your first "build". :D

glock7
05-25-2012, 7:45 PM
^good pricing on that build, with new parts.

NorCalK9.com
05-25-2012, 8:13 PM
I say s&w mp15 sport! its a darn fine rifle and is the only ar thats worthy tonsit next to my ak74 at the range. Shoots steel cased ammo no prob, i have no regrets about it. Ive owned over 15 ar's alot of name brand stuff these guys praise but in the end they werent worth the metal n plastic they were made out of.
Heres a pic of my baby'z.

http://i.imgur.com/VMa5X.jpg

Dave07997S
05-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Both are great rifles, shot them both. Of the two I prefer the M400 in its basic carrying handle configuration. However, it would depend on availability and price.

The sport can be had quite inexpensively. It doesn't include a forward assist (10 yrs. in the Infantry both RA and the Guard never once did I ever use it), nor does it have the dust cover (this does bother me). However, for just a range rifle this isn't needed either.

If you can spend a few more c notes get the Sig.

Dave

ckyrulez
05-26-2012, 1:05 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I was putting money down on a new P226 this morning and the shop happened to have a M&P15 Sport in stock. Took a quick look at it and decided that I might as well pick it up due to all the positive responses.

InkHammer
05-26-2012, 2:22 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I was putting money down on a new P226 this morning and the shop happened to have a M&P15 Sport in stock. Took a quick look at it and decided that I might as well pick it up due to all the positive responses.

Nice! You will have a great time with it for sure. First upgrade should be a good optic. Aimpoint red dot or eotech, or if you can't spend 500ish on those, the strikefire vortex is good for the price. That is if you are using for hf or cqb. If you are looking for long range shooting or varmint hunting, a good scope is the way to go. I would upgrade the stock too, as the basic leaves a lot to be desired. Magpul ctr or STR are great options. No matter what my friend , the BRD will hit you hard, and you will spend some$$$$.

S470FM
05-26-2012, 2:53 PM
good choice, my friend has the SW OR and loves it.

NorCalK9.com
05-26-2012, 3:32 PM
Great choice bud!

DavidR310
05-26-2012, 5:18 PM
Here's another thought. Buy a completed lower (even though they are not hard to assemble; really!) then buy a completed upper set up the way you like. The lower is a FFL transaction but the upper can be sent to your house.

For example, I found this within a couple of minutes.

Palmetto State Armory Complete PSA AR-15 Lower - MOE Edition $299
Stag Arms 3H complete upper $465
Total $764

Slap them together and you've completed your first "build". :D

Yeah but you still need sights, a case and magazines. New Frontier offers complete rifles with stainless steel barrels, magpul flip sight and hard case for $599 and they have awesome customer service.

http://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=245_249&products_id=34562

http://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/images/LW15.jpg

ckyrulez
05-26-2012, 8:29 PM
No matter what my friend , the BRD will hit you hard, and you will spend some$$$$.

Uh oh. The BRD is what I was afraid of... I guess it's already too late for me now, so I might as well start saving up $$ and let the fun begin!
:44:

Bassgin3
05-26-2012, 10:45 PM
+1 for the M&P 15 Sport. I bought one and love it! My good friend just bought one as well since he shot mine and got jealous. Really can't go wrong and if you decide you don't like it, I'm sure there are more than enough people on this site that would love to buy it off you. Can't go wrong...