PDA

View Full Version : Breakfree CLP on sig p229 slide?

dem0critus
05-25-2012, 4:25 PM
Is this safe to do? I hear a lot of people saying to use grease on the slide and some other parts, but don't recall anybody saying specifically why CLP is no good for the slide/barrel/etc.

So all you sig pros out there: what's the super secret grease that I should be using on my slide and where do I get my hands on it?

RedFord150
05-25-2012, 4:33 PM
...what's the super secret grease that I should be using on my slide and where do I get my hands on it?

I use Tetra Gun Grease on the slide rails only of my semi-autos. Any gun shop should have it. I think I paid about $7 for a tube that should last me several years.
I clean the bore with shooter's Choice or Hoppes.
I use Breakfree CLP on the rest of the gun.
I have never owned a Sig. Why do you think Sig would require something different from other makers?

PPD#6
05-25-2012, 4:33 PM
My bro uses it on his, works fine.

Bartin
05-25-2012, 4:34 PM
Slide Glide (http://www.brianenos.com/store/slide-glide.html)

Paperchasin
05-25-2012, 4:37 PM
I use CLP to clean the entire gun and then use Slide Glide on the slide.

Sturnovik
05-25-2012, 4:38 PM
TW25 is what sig recommends and packages the pistol with. I highly recommend it. Dont go overboard with grease (and oil for that matter).

beretta929mm
05-25-2012, 4:53 PM
Por que no?
Motor oil is fine too.

dem0critus
05-25-2012, 4:56 PM
I use Tetra Gun Grease on the slide rails only of my semi-autos. Any gun shop should have it. I think I paid about $7 for a tube that should last me several years.
I clean the bore with shooter's Choice or Hoppes.
I use Breakfree CLP on the rest of the gun.
I have never owned a Sig. Why do you think Sig would require something different from other makers?

I dunno why that would be the case, haha. That's what I'm curious about. I keep hearing people say to use grease not oil on sig slides, and like I said nobody really says why lol.

I'll try out some of the things you guys have suggested. Thanks for that btw.

I'm assuming using grease instead of oil is supposed to extend the life of the slide/frame?

Paperchasin
05-25-2012, 5:04 PM
Sigs like grease. Matter of fact, I use Slide Glide on my polymer framed guns as well, no problems. I used to use the CLP as a lubricant but it runs all over the place, so now I just use it to clean my guns.

dem0critus
05-25-2012, 5:13 PM
Sigs like grease. Matter of fact, I use Slide Glide on my polymer framed guns as well, no problems. I used to use the CLP as a lubricant but it runs all over the place, so now I just use it to clean my guns.

Yeah, it does seem to run like a mother... I'm sold. Gotta get ma hands on some grease!

fanof1911forlife
05-25-2012, 5:13 PM
a can of wheel bearings grease will last for three generations. it smells funny but who cares if a gun smells bad as long as it goes bang. can you imagine how much cash you can save on these fancy grease over three generations? my ria 2011 tactical runs just fine with this stuff after 5000 rounds so far.

dem0critus
05-25-2012, 5:30 PM
a can of wheel bearings grease will last for three generations. it smells funny but who cares if a gun smells bad as long as it goes bang. can you imagine how much cash you can save on these fancy grease over three generations? my ria 2011 tactical runs just fine with this stuff after 5000 rounds so far.

I like the way you think. Another thing I'm going to have to experiment with.

4DMASTR
05-25-2012, 5:47 PM
Hmmmmm have this overpriced synthetic grease for my air tools that may worm well. Its held up a $400 impact gun for almost 10 years now. And it gets a daily beating.

tonelar
05-25-2012, 5:50 PM
Frog Lube's good on rails as well.
Ive used tri-flo and CLP on my range guns (where Im not putting a ton of rounds through em between cleaning).

Me1
05-25-2012, 6:09 PM
Is this safe to do? I hear a lot of people saying to use grease on the slide and some other parts, but don't recall anybody saying specifically why CLP is no good for the slide/barrel/etc.

So all you sig pros out there: what's the super secret grease that I should be using on my slide and where do I get my hands on it?

I've never used grease on my 226 I picked up in 1992 and the rails look almost new after all these years. I normaly use CLP or similar oil, no issues. Some people go all Exxon Valdez on their rails and create a dirt magnet.

Sturnovik
05-25-2012, 6:16 PM
I used to use oil and still do depending on whats going on but TW25 is a good product and cheap. Even then I only started using it since I love this W. German Sig. I've seen it go slightly farther with tiny bits of grease over just oil. But if it was a duty gun I'd use oil myself.

dem0critus
05-25-2012, 6:18 PM
I've never used grease on my 226 I picked up in 1992 and the rails look almost new after all these years. I normaly use CLP or similar oil, no issues. Some people go all Exxon Valdez on their rails and create a dirt magnet.

Damn 20 years huh. Now I'm starting to have second thoughts...

fanof1911forlife
05-25-2012, 6:49 PM
i think you need to buy two sigs now that the debate is raging on...one for the clp and one for the wheel bearing grease....this experiment could get expensive

dem0critus
05-25-2012, 7:35 PM
i think you need to buy two sigs now that the debate is raging on...one for the clp and one for the wheel bearing grease....this experiment could get expensive

Actually I think three should do the trick. One running dry as a constant, one with clp, and one with grease lol. :cool:

9mmepiphany
05-25-2012, 8:55 PM
How many rounds have been through it in that time...that is the critical factor?

I've seen an old alloy frame/folded slide 226 which was about 6 years old and had over a documented 65K rounds through it. It had been run with grease since the first day and it's rails looked pretty good.

BTW: the wear we are protecting against is on the rails of the frame, not on the slide.

The reason the country's foremost SIG pistolsmith recommends grease on the slide instead of just oil is that the grease will stay in place better during extended practice/training sessions...Slide Guide, Lubriplate work well for this. Many serious shooters will float some CLP on top of the grease at the beginning of classes.

The problem is that grease attracts dust/dirt. Not a big issue during training, but not such a god thing for a Carry/Duty pistol. For that use, TW-25 is excellent

RedFord150
05-26-2012, 10:52 AM
a can of wheel bearings grease will last for three generations. ...can you imagine how much cash you can save on these fancy grease over three generations? ....

The can and the lid will deteriorate after 10 years. I know this because I keep a can in my garage for wheel bearings.
My tube of Tetra is about 3 or 4 years old and the plastic tube is still perfect and over half full. I figure if it lasts 10 years, it is costing about 70 cents per year.
I like my guns pretty and smelling fresh. I feel like a rich guy, I can spend the extra 40 cents a year to maintain my several thousand dollar gun collection.

Bastard
05-26-2012, 11:02 AM

I remember something with some oils or solvents and grips, but I don't remember exactlly what it was, I don't use CLP mainly because I don't like the way it feels. I have heard both sides good vs bad, but I just don't like the way it feels.

I do use SlideGlide for the parts that I grease & rem oil (I am sure I will catch hell about that) but to each his own. try different things & find what you like.

dbbspider
05-26-2012, 11:05 AM
I have used clp, motor oil, wheel bearing grease, hoppes, REM oil, etc. They all work

toby77
05-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Mobil 1

pipboy
05-26-2012, 11:25 AM
I used to use Breakfree CLP for lube on the slide/frame rails of my Sigs (through many thousands of rounds) in their early years. It does work, and is certainly better than nothing, but I have found it to be not as good of a lube compared to what else is out there. Its consistency is too thin causing it to run and burn off much more quickly. Whether the wear patterns on the alloy frames now would be less if I had used a better lube from the beginning I may never know.

I like a more viscous lube with the ability to stay where you put it and stay wet for a longer period of time. I do like Slide Glide and Slip2000 EWL. If you want a good oil but dont quite want grease, Slip2000 makes their EWL in multiple heavier weights which is a really nice.

If you are still confused over everyones differing opinions, I'd find what Bruce Gray has to say and listen.

ThortheDog
05-26-2012, 12:52 PM
There is an extensive discussion about the use of grease, with pictures, here:

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/908103701/p/1

Packy14
05-26-2012, 12:55 PM
clp is not good enough, you will get rail wear. I use a combo of militec grease and renew it with militec oil until I do a strip/clean.

cwin
05-26-2012, 1:34 PM
CLP shouldn't be a problem on the rails. I prefer to use grease on mine though

shipwreck
05-26-2012, 2:23 PM
Everyone has their own unique preference in what lube they like on their gun just like everyone washes a car a different way.

Breakfree CLP is fine. I have used it on everything for years and years ... From a cheap 22 to a $3000 1911 and everything in between. Use it and don't worry

kenbo776
05-26-2012, 4:11 PM
I use combination of RIG SS lube and CLP or remoil or whatever light gun oil I have . I like the idea of using both just to cover all the bases. Light amount of grease on rails and on the part of the slide that rides over and cocks the hammer. Then just a few drops of oil andf cycle the slide few times to distribute it all. I do this on all my pistols, not just the Sig (Nitron Rail) . Most of my shooting is done at range so dealing with dirt being attracted to the lub not much of an issue.

hornswaggled
05-26-2012, 4:48 PM
Lubrication wars are almost as retardedly epic as Glock vs. 1911 wars on the Internet. I was taught to use Hoppes for cleaning followed by Break Free for lube. So do I think that's the end-all-be-all of how to clean a firearm? Hell no! In all honestly, does it really frigging matter as long as the gun gets cleaned and lube points lubed? Has anyone actually had an experience where their gun jammed or lost accuracy/reliability because they used the wrong kind of lube? If so, I submit that their firearm sucks and should be thrown in the scrap heap.

jyo
05-27-2012, 12:21 AM
I've used BreakFree CLP on all my guns for YEARS---they all run fine and no rust---at a few extreme wear points that require grease, I use TW25 B. I use either Shooters Choice or Remclean to clean my guns---that's all folks!

AlliedArmory
05-27-2012, 1:15 AM
I used to use CLP on my P228 and it always ran fine. Never used anything else on it other than Hoppes gun oil.

hyperion.excal
05-27-2012, 3:29 AM
FROOG LUBE

Gunfighter01
05-27-2012, 7:25 PM
The rails get hard use and grease is heavier and stays put. I have a 226 thats 24 yrs old and I used tetra on it, with no signs of wear. About 2 yrs ago I switched to GunButter. They make an oil and a grease, I use the grease on the rails and the oil on everything else...i really like this stuff and I shoot about a 1000 rounds a month.
Also,,,the Sig forum has a thread on how to correctly lubricate a Sig,,,,i believe it was posted by a Grey Guns Gunsmith,

Gunfighter01
05-27-2012, 7:45 PM
I dont think we're talking about accuracy with regards to lubrication. Reliability,,,hell yes,,,,,,,,,also importantly, is longevity. Correct lubrication with the correct products will give you longer firearm life, in my opinion.

dracer
05-27-2012, 8:23 PM
I use a good wheel brg grease on the rails and a good racing motor oil on the rest , you can get all you want at any auto parts store or wally world