PDA

View Full Version : Carrying in the car

1971Titan
05-25-2012, 3:26 PM
I have a question. I'm in sales and I'm on the road all day. I carry expensive equipment and tooling. Sometimes I travel to into some very strange neighborhoods to call on businesses. I may never get a consent to carry, but what can I legally carry in the car with ammo. The gun is no good without ammo and I might just as well carry a club. Can I keep the gun without ammo or clip in the gun, in the car? Does it have to be on the front seat? This seems to be inviting trouble, if you ask me. The laws I have read seem to be confusing. Too many different situations apply. I'm sure others have asked this question before, but I would like to have an option, should the need arise. If ever robbed, they can take what they want, but if threatened, I'd like a chance. I've never had a problem before, but the whole world is changing.

h0use
05-25-2012, 3:39 PM
welcome, i would also like to know about carrying in the car.

BlackTydeTactical
05-25-2012, 3:43 PM
Welcome aboard!

BigJ
05-25-2012, 3:43 PM
I travel into 'strange' areas myself, and I live in a very CCW unfriendly county, so I understand where you're coming from. Here's what I've learned on this topic (all this is from a non CCW holder perspective).

-no gun, long gun or handgun, may be loaded while traveling. "Loaded" means rounds ready to fire; either in the chamber or in a device in a position ready to feed into the chamber.
-traveling with ammo inside a magazine is perfectly legal so long as the magazine is NOT in the gun. See my definition of "loaded" in the previous point.
-strictly speaking, a long gun may be carried anywhere in the car in any manner. It does not have to be in a "locked container".
-a handgun must be carried in a "locked container". Once locked, where that container is in the car is irrelevant. Exception: the arm rest and glove compartments are specifically excluded from the "locked container" definition, and therefore cannot be used for this purpose. Don't put your gun in there unless its already in a separate locked container, period.
-there are federal and county laws that affect all of this, so make darn sure you understand those laws before deciding to carry anything in any manner.

My research convinced me a two pronged approach is acceptable: I carry an unloaded shotgun in the bed of my truck 100% of the time. That shotgun will make its way into the cab, next to me, when I know I'll be in an area that justifies it being ready. In either case, the ammo is stored in the sidesaddle. I also carry an unloaded pistol in a locked container under the driver seat. In that same locked container are two magazines stuffed full of ammo.

Don't do what I do until you've researched your local and federal laws, FOR YOURSELF. I am not advising you in any way. I'm simply sharing what I've discovered worked best for me. YMMV.

frankDmole
05-25-2012, 5:24 PM
Welcome to CalGuns.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting

glockman19
05-25-2012, 5:57 PM
LUCC..Locked Unloaded Conceal Carry...I prefer Allen lockking cases. The are small enough yet large enough to hold your firearm and loaded magazine or speed loader.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
05-27-2012, 11:06 AM
welcome

DeanW66
05-28-2012, 3:50 PM
Welcome aboard! Have a look around, as others have mentioned, for LUCC. I believe one bit of partially invalid info was posted:

-strictly speaking, a long gun may be carried anywhere in the car in any manner. It does not have to be in a "locked container".

I think you may want to research CA Gun Free School Zone laws before deciding if the above is 100% correct or not.

BigJ
05-28-2012, 4:35 PM
I think you may want to research CA Gun Free School Zone laws before deciding if the above is 100% correct or not.Indeed, I have and I stand behind my statement.

Penal Code 626.9 PC, California's Gun-Free School Zone Act. ("(c) Subdivision (b) does not apply to the possession of a firearm under any of the following circumstances…(2) When the firearm is an unloaded pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person and is in a locked container or within the locked trunk of a motor vehicle. This section does not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful transportation of any other firearm, other than a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person, in accordance with state law.")Emphasis added by me. Source: http://www.shouselaw.com/gun-free-school.html

INJUNTOM
05-29-2012, 4:27 PM
Welcome aboard

paul0660
05-29-2012, 4:32 PM
Welcome aboard! Have a look around, as others have mentioned, for LUCC. I believe one bit of partially invalid info was posted:

I think you may want to research CA Gun Free School Zone laws before deciding if the above is 100% correct or not.

Unlocked is legal for California, illegal for Federal.

The laws I have read seem to be confusing.

BigJ, what laws did you read?

BigJ
05-29-2012, 5:49 PM
Paul I think you're quoting a different guy?

MrExel17
05-29-2012, 7:34 PM
Welcome to Calguns!

DeanW66
05-30-2012, 2:23 PM

Unlocked is legal for California, illegal for Federal.

Whoops - I got it backwards. Thanks.