View Full Version : VX-III 2.5-8x32mm Handgun on a 460xvr?

05-09-2007, 7:04 PM
Hi folks,

A buddy wants to sell me a really nice Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x32mm Handgun scope for cheap. I'm picking up my 460xvr this weekend and was wondering if I can use this scope on it. The Leupold website only indicates K, L, an N size S&W frames. The 460 is an X frame. Will I be able to obtain a mount for this size frame, other than the S&W X frame proprietary mount? Will this scope hold up to full load 460? Any opinions would be great.

05-09-2007, 7:21 PM
You should go search www.smith-wessonforum.com for posts on this. There's a lot of discussion over there about mounting scopes on the big X frames, and what kind of mounts and rings work.

Lots of people find they need 4 rings on their X frames to keep everything in place, and some folks have had problems with Leupolds holding up to the recoil.

That's a great scope, and well worth getting if the price is right, but you definitely want to ask around about putting it on the 460XVR...

05-09-2007, 7:55 PM
Thanks maxicon,

That's a good call. I didn't even think about approaching it from the other direction. I'm getting the scope regardless of what I find, I have other toys to mount it to and my buddy is cutting me a great deal.:D

05-13-2007, 1:38 PM
I have never heard about these holding up issues with leupold's. Buy it. I have shot several round through my 454 385-405grain bullets, the 460 and 454 are not that far apart when you get into the heavier rounds, my scope is fine and four rings is overkill. Buy the scope specially if it is a good deal. the only way to get the range necessary to make the gun live up to its potential. Its why you bought it right?

05-13-2007, 2:27 PM
I did my homework(thanks maxicon), and I'm getting it. My friend decided he didn't want the Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag it was attached to. I'm getting both for an unbelievable price.:D