View Full Version : Just fully stripped my revolver to clean and polish. How often are you supposed to?

05-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Well I just finished disassembling, cleaning and polishing all the internals of my Taurus 617 for the first time. That is the first time I have ever fully taken it apart and it was fairly dirty. I am assuming the previous owner never did more than basic cleaning so considering the use its probably gotten it wasnt too bad. I left the factory springs in even thought they are pretty heavy. My question is how often does everybody fully strip their wheel guns for cleaning? I have to say there is a little but noticeably nice difference from before and after polishing all contact areas and cleaning.

05-25-2012, 12:53 PM

05-25-2012, 1:08 PM
I almost never fully disassemble a revolver. Only on rare occasions. I will take the side plate off and apply lube here and there when I first purchase it of it is dry. Other than that, only if their is a problem do I disassemble the gun. Spend your time cleaning the cylinder and barrel.

05-25-2012, 2:21 PM
Start thinking about it after 5000 rounds....

Overcleaning your gun can cause excessive wear. Dry firing solves the polishing problem without overdoing it, and you can work out your finger at the same time.

05-25-2012, 2:34 PM
Only did it to my GP100 and SP101 to do a trigger job and change out the springs. Doubt I will for another few thousand rounds but the GP's and Sp's tear down easy so if I get bored.......