PDA

View Full Version : Has Anybody Sold Their AR15 Lately

OneShotJohnny
05-25-2012, 1:45 PM
I am asking because it seems there are quite a few in the Private Sales section including mine (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=560816) and just didnt know if anyone else was having a hard time moving their rifles.

6doubleR
05-25-2012, 1:47 PM
Sold one of mine earlier this month. Got a ton of views, handful of interest. Good luck with the sale.

tleeocinca
05-25-2012, 1:51 PM
To be honest, there are quite a few in the Private Firearms section. This is a direct result of the AR15 getting cheaper to purchase and more expensive to shoot because of the cost of ammunition. If you look around, you can find a decent AR15 for under $800 and some cheaper ones for under $700. Good luck with the sale.

fullspeed1
05-25-2012, 1:57 PM
It's amazing how less than 4 years ago it was nearly impossible to find an AR, And they were at a premium.

dust feeder
05-25-2012, 2:12 PM
As someone who was looking to p/u One anwhile back heres my perspective. Tons of them out there. Lots of budget oriented companies that Are still making a good product. Palmetto...

When someone can build a brand new, relatively good quality ar for around $700 (hell $550-600 w/ a new frontiers polymer lower) makes buying a run of the mill average used one for a similar price hard to justify.

Dont mean to generlize all ar's into he same category. Higher end percision stuffs a different story

ir0nclash86
05-25-2012, 2:15 PM
The problem with selling an ar15 here on calguns is that everybody and their momma has an ar15 for sale and they're all "custom built." People build their rifles with certain parts and accessories and the tough part is trying to find someone who wants to buy a rifle that's exactly the same as yours. Alot of people charge full price for their ar15's too and for $800 and up I can just build my own rifle just the way I want. If people want their ar15to actually sell they're going to have to label it below the current going rate from the cheapest place they can find and not the price they paid for it because they may have been overcharged for it. If its not price right, people are just going to want to build their own for the same price if not cheaper....way cheaper.

OneShotJohnny
05-25-2012, 2:17 PM
I appreciate all the input guys. Maybe i will try going about it in a different way i.e. part out.

deadcoyote
05-25-2012, 2:19 PM
For about 15 years I almost exclusively shot Curio and Relic bolt guns in my free time. For the past couple its been AR's and AK's. Honestly, it's just kind of monotinous. I'd rather take a M39 and an Enfield out with some buddies and see who can hit the 200 yard gong off hand best out of 10 than benchrest for groups with my AR. I do all my run-n-gun classes for work and honestly have no interest in doing that on my limited time off.

tleeocinca
05-25-2012, 2:20 PM
That's what I would do. You would likely sell the parts faster to individuals looking to build there own. I wish we were back in the day where AR's were selling for a premium, I have two or three that I could get rid of to make space

jpm804
05-25-2012, 2:45 PM
Sold my DD yesterday and it basically sold one day after I posted it. Like people have mentioned usually the homemade ones I see sometimes takes longer to sell since it is a mixture of parts that might be or not be wanted on it.

Also pricing seems to a be big factor of selling since the prices are all over the place with people trying to get what they paid or sometimes even more than what one might be going for brand new.

ICONIC
05-25-2012, 2:54 PM
Sold one of mine about three weeks ago. I suspect people will start holding onto their AR's now that there is this BB nonsense.

rromeo
05-25-2012, 3:07 PM
I will agree with the rest of the crowd. Custom means exactly how you want it, not exactly how somebody else built it and now doesn't want it. I can buy stacks of new rifles for $6-700. If I'm spending more than $1,000, I will buy pieces and assemble it myself.

stix213
05-25-2012, 3:37 PM
You should either lower your price or take it off the market until the glut of other AR's for sale move. Listing a price as "FIRM" also scares some people away.

Also saying it is "custom" and "Brand new" to me means it is also untested, so no one even knows if it cycles properly (including you). So just another thing that would be keeping buyers away.

h0use
05-25-2012, 3:46 PM
parting it out might be the best bet to sell it.

loosewreck
05-25-2012, 3:50 PM
Of all the firearms and firearms associated stuff I've sold here, the stuff that has been the hardest to move, without any major depreciation have been ARs and AR accessories, except maybe Magpul stuff and ammo. The market is just fricken saturated with the sh1t.

tradecraft
05-25-2012, 3:55 PM
In my experience, selling quality factory rifles is easy on here, but anything custom or homebuilt is a crapshoot.

wisefire
05-25-2012, 4:04 PM
Just don't be one of those people that spent $1200 building their ar, shot about 2k rounds though it and expect to sell it for $1150

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

ChaneRZ
05-25-2012, 4:50 PM
I sold mine very quick when I separated the upper, lower, and optics.

Norcalkid
05-25-2012, 5:00 PM
I think you would have a better market if you were willing to ship. You're limiting yourself. Personally if I'm going to spend $1200 I would rather spend $1700 and build an AR10 the way I want it. IMO a 7-800 dollar plinker will be fine for most guys. Saw one sell at the gun show last weekend for asking price $700. And I also just think there are a lot of AR's out there. I know guys with more receivers than they will ever use.

speeedracerr
05-25-2012, 5:00 PM
Sold mine last week to a friend for $650. The rifle was practically new (MEGA Lower/DPMS Upper and extras) with only 40 rounds down the pipe to function test. All things considered... I didn't mind taking a little loss since I will probably get to visit her every now and then when my friend takes her out :) I think the difficulty is that lots of people own ARs now and as stated, custom rifles in the eyes of the consumer is just not the same as a factory built AR...

Steve G
05-25-2012, 5:12 PM
I am asking because it seems there are quite a few in the Private Sales section including mine (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=560816) and just didnt know if anyone else was having a hard time moving their rifles.

With all due respect your rifle is priced to high. If the gun was priced right it would move QUICK

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
05-25-2012, 5:21 PM
nope, not me and never will.

m03
05-25-2012, 5:28 PM
Hold onto it until the election gets closer. I imagine that it will be very easy to sell later this year :)

xpbprox
05-25-2012, 5:37 PM
When someone can build a brand new, relatively good quality ar for around $700 (hell $550-600 w/ a new frontiers polymer lower) makes buying a run of the mill average used one for a similar price hard to justify.

I agree with this. I just finished building mine for $770 and it's pretty sweet!

cannon
05-25-2012, 5:41 PM
You're selling a used AR put together for more than a brand new Colt. That would be hard for me to justify as a buyer.

With the glut on the market as has been said before. You may want to part it out.

john.t.singh
05-25-2012, 5:56 PM
I find that name brand sells.

Custom ones are only good to part out. I've sold 2 custom ar part by part and is really the only way you can at all semi recover some money.

daybreak
05-25-2012, 6:02 PM
In my experience, selling quality factory rifles is easy on here, but anything custom or homebuilt is a crapshoot.

This. I haven't tried to buy or sell an AR in the private classifieds, but Everytime I see a build for sale, I think, "why would anyone take a chance on someone else's build when there are so many good cheap new factory options."

Cypriss32
05-25-2012, 6:11 PM
Custom rifles are built the way the owner wants them. The people purchasing it wont want it the same specs....... So less desirable.

63 tango
05-25-2012, 7:06 PM
i`ve sold 2 in the last 2 months. Had to lower my prices on both. Sold them for $700 each. One was a Stag model 4. The other was a Sarco Colt M16A2 kit on a Stag lower.

gemini1
05-25-2012, 7:34 PM
I wanted a new AR in different caliber, but I can only do that if I sell my old one. However, I got my one during the last election, so you can imagine how much it cost me to build it. I know it'll be next to impossible to sell it at a decent price. So I might as well keep it, and forget building a new one, for now.

peter95
05-26-2012, 12:14 AM
Honestly speaking, I was looking for an upper about a month ago and realized how expensive some of the members are selling theirs for. I just ended up building one the way I like it with better upper components for practically the same price.

I've seen many people charging premium prices when if you shop around, you can build better quality at lower cost.

Most sellers think they can sell it for the same price they got it for. It does t work like that.

tanakasan
05-26-2012, 10:32 AM
^^This

I was also upper hunting recently. Many were priced right and sold very quickly. Others seemed high to me...$600~1000... some w/o BCG or CH. I got a brand new Noveske 14.5" basic complete from a retailer for $769 shipped. Happy.

OP, nice setup! Shipping will open up potential buyers. Not everyone lives down here! G/L!

Robert