PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Browning Medallion vs. NEW BigHorn Gun Safe from Costco

doctorusa
05-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Dear Calguners,
I'm a new member and is on the market for a good gun safe. After searching on the internet for a while I found two deals that I would like to hear your opinion on:
First deal is from Costco. They are running a sale on a BIGHORN Classic 36ECB Safe
790 lbs., 45 Minute Fire Protection Safe w/Electronic Lock, 35.5 Cubic Ft.
The measurements of this safe are 71x36x24
It is now $999.99 after $400 OFF
You can see it on Costco website.
Second deal is from a private party that has a Browning Medallion Serial # B005601-Pro-Steel Safe for sale. The price is the same 1K.
This safe was manufactured back in 2001 (11 years ago). It does not have an Electronic lock. The measurements of this safe are 60x30x27. Fire rating is 30 min. It is about 700lb.

Can anyone advice me on those 2 choices ASAP please. THANKS!!!

Soul TKR
05-25-2012, 2:38 PM
From the sound of the specs you provided I'd say the Rhino is a no brainer.

Blarson
05-25-2012, 3:22 PM
I also found a used Browning safe during my extensive search for the BEST deal. Here are a few things I considered; the browning I was looking at in my opinion was ugly (Green with a big gold elk on the front). It did not have locking bolts on all sides. And I got quotes to have it shipped/delivered for 200-300. So the price of $1000 has to include those costs. On the thread, "Bighorn and Rhino safes, review, sales, opinions and pictures" there are a few people who just bought the 36ECB, and love it. Compare locking bolts, steel thickness, and price and your best choice will probably be the Bighorn.