PDA

View Full Version : REPLY FROM Dianne Feinstein

General
05-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Dear General:

Thank you for your letter regarding the "Respecting States' Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012" (S. 2213). I appreciate your taking the time to write and welcome the opportunity to respond.

Senators John Thune (R-SD) and David Vitter (R-LA) introduced the Respecting States' Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act on March 20, 2012. The bill would effectively allow the concealed carry gun laws of one state to nullify restrictions on concealed carry in other states. This bill would force California to recognize concealed carry permits issued in other states—including states with less restrictive gun control laws.

While I appreciate knowing your views on this issue, please know that I do not support concealed weapons license reciprocity. It is my belief that concealed weapons laws that may work in rural areas may not be suitable in urban areas. What is good for Alaska or Wyoming may not be good for California or New York. A federal policy mandating concealed carry reciprocity would usurp the right of states to grant concealed weapons licenses in the manner, and to those individuals, that they see fit.

California sets a very high bar for those who wish to obtain a concealed weapon permit. California's strict rules ensure that felons, the mentally ill, and people who have been convicted of certain misdemeanor offenses or are considered a threat to others are automatically disqualified. This legislation would force California to honor permits issued by all other States, including those which allow minors, convicted criminals, and people with no firearm safety training to carry concealed weapons.

Once again, thank you for your letter. Although we may have different views on this issue, please know that I appreciate hearing from you and hope you continue to inform me of issues that matter to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact my office in Washington, D.C. at (202) 224-3841 (tel:%28202%29%20224-3841), or visit my website at http://feinstein.senate.gov.

Sincerely yours,

:shrug:
United States Senator

geeknow
05-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Chutzpah. Should read;

"Citizen,

your opinion doesnt matter to me. I'm untouchable...and I'm here to run your life. Please send donations.

thanks,

Diane"

blech. what a steaming load. I've now seen this same boilerplate reply from her...our elected representative, on a number of occasions. Makes me mad. I would also like to know, based on her retort, which state allows minors to CCW...because I think that might be a great place to take my son.

Californio
05-25-2012, 11:06 AM
It is interesting that my Constitutional Rights according to Her, depend if I live in the rural USA or the inner city USA. I guess we have two countries here.

glbtrottr
05-25-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm confused as to how allowing people with duly issued CCWs from other states bring "minors, convicted criminals, and people with no firearm safety training to carry concealed weapons. ".

What states allow criminals and minors to carry CCW?

Dreaded Claymore
05-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Dammit, Feinstein, there is no state that allows minors or convicted criminals to even possess guns, let alone carry them around. Stupid idiot.

cvc04
05-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Last time I checked California has rural areas. Doesn't she represent all of California?

stevied
05-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Last time I checked California has rural areas. Doesn't she represent all of California?

No kidding. Most of the state is rural/low density. The majority of the states population is packed in Sacramento, Bay, LA and San Diego areas but the rural areas cover a larger area.

stevied
05-25-2012, 11:21 AM
:confused: Rural Areas?

http://www.worldofmaps.net/typo3temp/pics/153cf187b9.png

CD3
05-25-2012, 11:21 AM
"California's strict rules ensure that felons, the mentally ill, and people who have been convicted of certain misdemeanor offenses or are considered a threat to others are automatically disqualified."

I think all states do that not just in your sunny crime free state of Kasicformia..but thanks for the insite Di, you're a real helpful tool in the box of stuff i keep out near the barn that i never use...

CD3
05-25-2012, 11:25 AM
None she's just a sharp tool that got re-elected by sharper tools because they have money...

The reason Politicians try so hard to get re-elected is that they would 'hate'
to have to make a living under the laws they've passed

stevied
05-25-2012, 11:25 AM
"Senator Feinstein is a staunch gun control advocate. Despite her stance, in the 1970s, she obtained a concealed firearms carry permit, and carried a handgun with her."

http://usliberals.about.com/od/liberalpersonalprofiles/p/SenFeinstein.htm

Her stance seems legit

erik_26
05-25-2012, 11:49 AM
This is how I read it:

Child,

I am your parent. I don't like you carrying guns in our yard. I don't like your friends carrying guns in their yard. But I am not their parent, only yours.

I don't want your friends coming into my yard with their guns. I am going to call their parents and tell them what for.

Just because your friends parents don't care about them and lets them do whatever they want, doesn't mean I am going to give you the same freedoms.

It is not what you want.... You have NO say in the matter. It is what I think is best.

Now, brush your teeth and get to bed. You have a busy day tomorrow working for me.

Regards,

Parent

ralemzor
05-25-2012, 11:54 AM
The fact that she is a staunch gun control supporter yet owned or still owns a permit to carry just shows she is in the typical do as I say not as I do crowd.

ccmc
05-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Dear General:

Thank you for your letter regarding the "Respecting States' Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012" (S. 2213). I appreciate your taking the time to write and welcome the opportunity to respond.

Senators John Thune (R-SD) and David Vitter (R-LA) introduced the Respecting States' Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act on March 20, 2012. The bill would effectively allow the concealed carry gun laws of one state to nullify restrictions on concealed carry in other states. This bill would force California to recognize concealed carry permits issued in other states—including states with less restrictive gun control laws.

While I appreciate knowing your views on this issue, please know that I do not support concealed weapons license reciprocity. It is my belief that concealed weapons laws that may work in rural areas may not be suitable in urban areas. What is good for Alaska or Wyoming may not be good for California or New York. A federal policy mandating concealed carry reciprocity would usurp the right of states to grant concealed weapons licenses in the manner, and to those individuals, that they see fit.

California sets a very high bar for those who wish to obtain a concealed weapon permit. California's strict rules ensure that felons, the mentally ill, and people who have been convicted of certain misdemeanor offenses or are considered a threat to others are automatically disqualified. This legislation would force California to honor permits issued by all other States, including those which allow minors, convicted criminals, and people with no firearm safety training to carry concealed weapons.

Once again, thank you for your letter. Although we may have different views on this issue, please know that I appreciate hearing from you and hope you continue to inform me of issues that matter to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact my office in Washington, D.C. at (202) 224-3841 (tel:%28202%29%20224-3841), or visit my website at http://feinstein.senate.gov.

Sincerely yours,

United States Senator

This is just a form letter that several people here have received. It fails on a number of fronts, in particular the following two points:

1. Her assertion that the bill would nullify one state's restrictions on carry by forcing it to accept the permits from another state with less severe carry restrictions is false. Someone from Florida or Arizona would still have to abide by California law and restrictions while carrying in California on a Florida or Arizona license.

2. Her assertion that California sets a very high bar for those who receive a carry permit may or may not be true, but this bill addresses the fact that non-Californians have no way to legally carry in California since California neither recognizes other states' LTC nor allows nonresidents to apply for a California LTC. If pressed on this issue I'm sure Feinstein would say that's an issue for California state government to address, but waiting for California democrats to get with the US Constitution is like waiting for Godot. That's the whole point of this bill - to give US citizens their constitutional rights in states that ignore them.

njineermike
05-25-2012, 12:13 PM
I just sent her majesty this:

Dear Senator Feinstein.

I have been reading several of your comments posted from several recipients of your responses regarding the reciprocity bill currently before the senate (SS2213), and I am appalled. You state that California has a very high bar for issuing concealed carry permits. That is true, In fact, it is so high that the common citizens of the state have great difficulty obtaining permits. Criminals do not obtain permits. They are criminals and do not adhere to the laws of the land. You also insinuate that other, more "rural" states might allow criminals, such as child molesters, killers, and rapists, to have a permit. This is the part I find appalling. You, as a sitting US senator, do not understand federal gun laws enough to realize those people are currently prevented from possessing fireams ALTOGETHER. As such, the possibility that they could obtain a concealed carry permit from ANY state is absurd. They, by virtue of being prohibited persons, CANNOT get a permit, let alone a firearm, under any legal means. Therefore, the argument that allowing other state permit holders to be allowed to have concealed weapons in this state is ridiculous. They would have already had to be a non-prohibited person AND pass the background checks in their respective states.

Why are you making a recognized federal right (the right to keep AND BEAR arms) into a state right, when the state currently prevents law abiding citizens from exercizing that right, yet seems to turn a blind eye to the criminals in our midst that are armed and willing to commit violent assaults at the blink of an eye? The gang member recently convicted in the killing of Jamiel Shaw was a convicted felon, illegally in this country, and had just been released from jail on a firearms charge, yet he was on the streets with a handgun. How exactly do concealed carry laws prevent this, because they appear to be failing miserably.

Thank you.

Sometimes I just like to be an agitator because it's fun.

SilverTauron
05-25-2012, 12:24 PM
I ran that response through my Counter-PC 2100 legalese translator, and here's what came out:

"Two insane people from flyover country proposed a law which helps the citizen.As your elected superior, I must remind you that common people are incapable of regulating themselves in any respect.The civil rights which are acknowledeged in other states as law are articles of insanity, as they reduce the control your Loyal Commisars have over the misguided minions in California.

In our effort to execute the Five Year Plan for California Properity we must confine the legal right to be armed as a way to reward only to those who directly assist our noble goal of a progressive future in America. At this time your disagreement with The Path of Progressive Enlightenment will be noted and disregarded.

Please leave my district at once...while you still can.

Barbara Feinstein
Komissar 1st Rank
California. "

MontClaire
05-25-2012, 12:35 PM
ditto to all the idiots who vote for them.:rolleyes:

General
05-25-2012, 1:07 PM
Great letter njineermike (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=73905)

Cannon-Arms
05-25-2012, 1:19 PM
A giant load of condescending claptrap!

"felons, the mentally ill, and people who have been convicted of certain misdemeanor offenses or are considered a threat to others" All the above already carry concealed, if they carry, regardless or what she may think, the law abiding cannot.

Urban areas exist in Alaska, Wyoming and Arizona, and Oklahoma and on and on...

The Nannies.....:rolleyes:

The Original Godfather
05-25-2012, 1:23 PM
If I get a CCW from a different state, yet I am a Californian, wouldn't that trigger inter-state commerce, thus allowing Federal Govt jurisdiction, which would make the Constitution/1A the law of the land in this scenario?

:confused:

Just a thought, if no one has ever looked at it that way...

Cannon-Arms
05-25-2012, 1:25 PM

"C-A summary"
(Your a elitist idiot.)

You said it better than I ever could.

CBruce
05-25-2012, 1:32 PM
Weird, I always thought defending state's rights against federalism was a Republican thing.

taperxz
05-25-2012, 1:39 PM

You will probably get a duplicate copy of the OP letter. I know staffers for politicians. They read a few lines, decide where you stand, document the tally and throw the letter away.

DTOM CA!
05-25-2012, 1:54 PM
Why is Senator Fuglystien allowing people from other states (or countries) to drive in California. Other states probably let repeat drunk drivers and blind people have drivers licenses without showing ID. How could she let those cars from other states come to CA when they don't have the same emission standards as us.

njineermike
05-25-2012, 3:14 PM
You will probably get a duplicate copy of the OP letter. I know staffers for politicians. They read a few lines, decide where you stand, document the tally and throw the letter away.

Probably, but at least my conscience is clear. :)

NoJoke
05-25-2012, 3:41 PM
Dear General:

lalalallalalalallallalalalalalalalalalalllalallaal alalalalalalalalalalallalalalallallalalalalalalala lalalllalallaalalalalalalalalalalalallalalalallall alalalalalalalalalalllalallaalalalalalalalalalalal allalalalallallalalalalalalalalalalllalallaalalala lalalalalalalalallalalalallallalalalalalalalalalal llalallaalalalalalalalalalalalallalalalallallalala lalalalalalalalllalallaalalalalalalalalalalalallal alalallallalalalalalalalalalalllalallaalalalalalal alalalalalallalalalallallalalalalalalalalalalllala llaalalalalalalalalalalalallalalalallallalalalalal alalalalalllalallaalalalalalalalalalalalallalalala llallalalalalalalalalalalllalallaalalalalalalalala lalalallalalalallallalalalalalalalalalalllalallaal alalalalalalalalalalallalalalallallalalalalalalala lalalllalallaalalalalalalalalalalalallalalalallall alalalalalalalalalalllalallaalalalalalalalalalalal allalalalallallalalalalalalalalalalllalallaalalala lalalalalalalalallalalalallallalalalalalalalalalal llalallaalalalalalalalalal

Sincerely yours,

United States Senator
standard wacko gun owner reply #101

Cliff notes.

wjc
05-25-2012, 5:27 PM
Amazing! I got the very same response...

Guess who's not getting my vote on 5 June. :43:

SanPedroShooter
05-25-2012, 5:44 PM
Yup, same here. I have gotten more than one on different issues. They are all word for word except the bulk in the middle, seriously.

At least Ol' Swiney writes back. Has anyone ever heard from Boxer?

langss
05-25-2012, 5:56 PM
They all do Robo letters. If your not fully agreeing with them then you get the Letter as above.

dem0critus
05-25-2012, 6:06 PM
This is how I read it:

Child,

I am your parent. I don't like you carrying guns in our yard. I don't like your friends carrying guns in their yard. But I am not their parent, only yours.

I don't want your friends coming into my yard with their guns. I am going to call their parents and tell them what for.

Just because your friends parents don't care about them and lets them do whatever they want, doesn't mean I am going to give you the same freedoms.

It is not what you want.... You have NO say in the matter. It is what I think is best.

Now, brush your teeth and get to bed. You have a busy day tomorrow working for me.

Regards,

Parent

This is good.

nicoroshi
05-25-2012, 6:25 PM
I have tried writing to my 'elected officials' on numerous occasions.
The response was always the same, and in line with what the OP received.
"Thanks for writing. Your opinion means a lot to me.
Now go pound sand because I have my own agenda, I cannot be reasoned with, and I know what is best for you".

Gave up trying to talk to a wall, and will continue to effect positive change the only way that makes sense to me.
Teach every law abiding, registered voting citizen the joys of the shooting sports.
When 'our fight' becomes one of the majority of the state's population the way people vote will change.

tackdriver
05-26-2012, 7:51 AM
Guys, I hate to sound like a broken record...BUT, in reading "her" response, I hope you picked up on the fact on what is being said. This politician is telling you, "Even though you are one of the people I represent, your opinion doesn't matter. What only matters it what I think and want. Therefore, T.S. peon.."

It is my hope that you will give this person a followup letter giving her a reminder on who it is she works for.

TNP'R
05-26-2012, 7:57 AM
This woman is out of touch, seriously.

Dutch3
05-26-2012, 8:02 AM

No, she only represents Important People, such as herself.

Good God, I just saw that she is the Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman.

Now I am scared. :eek:

kcstott
05-26-2012, 8:45 AM
I really wish we would follow Vermont example. They have no state firearms laws to speak of. They adopted the Feds version . No CCW needed just shove the gun down the front of your pants cowboy style and you're good to go.
No wait. just Nics Own anything you want, Class 3 they don't care just follow federal law and you're good.

I wonder how I would acclimate to the cold weather???

I have never been more in favor of moving out of this state then ever before.

That letter from Feinstein Is more like this. I don't think you are smart enough to know the real laws so I'm going to try to scare you into believing that Montana passes out CCW's like library cards. Now in her defense She did say Criminals and you can be a convicted criminal and still own a gun. You can't be a convicted Felon or certain misdemeanors. She only Mentioned Felons later in her letter and never said that other states allow felons to get CCW let alone firearms.
But this is pure political double talk she lead you on to believe she said something she did not. She has a firm leg to stand on when it come time to defend this statement. That does not take away the fact that it's total BS and I should not have to ask any one for for permission to carrie a piece of personal property on my person in my pocket.

motorhead
05-26-2012, 1:30 PM
another lovely form letter from the SEA HAG. can you see why i don't bother with her anymore?